Sign in to follow this  
rustyoldjunk

this weekends haul and a couple of questions.

rustyoldjunk

i answered an ad on a local internet site (where i run ads also) from a guy with wheel horse parts for sale.turns out its the same guy who,he and his buddy had bought several parts from me a few years ago (and his buddy had since traded me out of a '59 bolens ride-a-matic,anyway,when i got there he really hadnt decided what if anything he wanted to get rid of just yet,he had recently sold off all his D series and parts and wants to thin out more but needs to get these parts off that one first and this part off that one over there before it goes etc. but he did have some things that were going to be hauled to scrap soon if someone didnt take them,so being a sucker for parts (even though he said you cant get those loaded by yourself and my back wont let me help,well let me try im used to moving this stuff by myself :banghead: ) i loaded a 657 minus sheetmetal,a 606 minus rearend,engine and hood a third short frame from the same era minus rearend,engine and seat pan and the main reason i went to look,in the ad he said he had a wheel horse rear grader blade.i bought the grader blade,which has ends welded on it to make it a scrapper box.i paid $30 for the rear box blade and the rest was free for the haul off.i took the hood off one and the seat pan from the other and put them on the 657,which did come with a good gear drive rear discharge mower deck.i will get some pics up shortly but in the mean time i didnt realize there was a short frame verson this year.the 657 is shorter then my 1257 and the battery box is up high right in front of the gas tank,is that original? is there enough room to put a big block in it without modification? also the rearend or at least the axle shafts look shorter on the 657 then on the 1257,is this correct? im not sure the grader blade/box is a factory wheel horse item but i will have to get pictures up before i can ask that one here to the experts.its a 48 inch blade which seems large for a standard wheel horse and the hitch setup looks funny to me but i will get pics up for that.

sorekiwi

I'm not telling you nothing until WE GET PICTURES!!!

:banghead::USA: :omg:

rustyoldjunk

lol ok Mike.it probably be tomorrow evening or tues.with the schedule i have for the next few days :banghead: .btw,another thing i want to get a pic of for opinions is the front axle on the 657.it has what appears to be factory holes,one on each side.im curiuos what they are for and if they are factory.

BPjunk

Rustyoldjunk,

The long frame started in 1966 with the 1056 and the short frames continued until 1969. If you notice on a model 1055 or 1045 the starter generator is sitting right over the battery (that battery ain't easy to get out either :banghead: ).

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.