BPC23

Early 14hp Kohler, Small Exhaust Valve

BPC23

I've got a 14hp K321 60124B engine that I believe came off a '70's Bronco 14.  It's time to get 'er refurbished because she's tired.  Anyway, this is a large-base engine block and it's the old style with a 1-1/8" exhaust valve.  Since this thing is going to be at the machine shop, I'd like to have the newer 1-3/8" valve seat put in the block.  Can anyone assure me the old-style 1-1/8" exhaust valve engine block is the same as the newer 1-3/8" exhaust valve engine block?  Will my current engine block have enough casting stock to allow machining for the larger valve seat?

The Kohler detailed parts list for this engine doesn't reference part numbers for the engine block.  It says to reference Kohler publication TP-2088-D Selection Guide.  Does anyone have this document in electronic format and would you mind sharing it with me?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Fordiesel69

I would like to know this exact same thing.  My M14 looks like there is more casting around the valve seat.

TT

I have the hard copy of TP-2088-A (1984) and it only lists replacement/service engines, mini-blocks, short blocks, etc. with no reference to valve sizes.

From my '85-ish parts book:

The larger valve seat is P/N 230265 and the matching exhaust valve (Stellite) is P/N 237672 (after spec suffix "D")

It's a popular modification for pulling engines, and I can't think of any reason why the small valve block won't accept the larger seat / valve.  :confusion-shrug:

Fordiesel69

That is good to know.

BPC23

Thank you.  Yes, that is good to know that the TP-2088 doesn't differentiate between different valve sizes.  I'll have to verify by taking some measurements of the block itself.  I suspect that there's plenty of casting stock, but this is a "measure twice, cut once" operation.