dbartlett1958

Lazy Starter on 416-H(Onan)

dbartlett1958

This is a little FYI for anyone with an Onan powered tractor. MIght help someone out sometime.

I have a 1990 416-H, with the Onan twin. When the weather is nice everything works as it should. The problem is that I use this tractor for Winter duty to power my snowblower, and it sits outside, under cover of course.  When the temperature is below freezing, my starter would spin but not engage properly, and make all kinds of nasty noises.

I finally got around to solving my problem.  I removed the starter, fully expecting to see a bunch of crap on the drive end, which was preventing the gear engagement. Much to my surprise, the starter drive end was clean, dry, and looks perfect!

So I puzzled for a minute and my brain finally fired on all cylinders(all that I have left anyway) and I took the solenoid off the starter.  BINGO!

There was a fair amount of grease in the area that the solenoid fits in, and along with the spring in there, would prevent proper operation when cold. I cleaned everything with brake cleaner, and now it starts right up at below Zero temps.

Sorry about no pics, but I was a man on a mission with cold fingers.

• Like 1

neil

Glad you managed to solve your problem Dave

Good job 

JackC

Thanks for the tip.