Fishroe

Charging assistance anyone

Fishroe

I know this has been discussed before but just a couple quick questions. Rewired the 414-8 and everything works fine. Charging system is overcharging. It's the 3 amp unregulated. I put the multimeter on the battery posts, started tractor, running full throttle, held meter there until voltage stabilized. After 5 minutes voltage stopped climbing. Peaked out at 16.54 volts. The guy i bought it from said he put a new battery in it. It is an Auto Craft battery 340cca 425ca. Date is 11/13. So i feel like it is a good battery.

#1 Somebody had mentioned putting a light in to pull the voltage down to around 14. What size bulb should i start with? I know its going to be a trial and error thing but it looks like the cheapest way to go.

#2 Should I wire the bulb straight from the battery posts? I will put a switch and fuse also. Maybe instead of undercounter lights i can put some underhood lights to use the extra voltage. Attach with some velcro. Rope lights, xmas lights,possibilities are endless!! I'm open for suggestions Thanks

Edited by Fishroe

sorekiwi

Some of those neon undercarriage lights would be cool!

Sorry, you'll need someone smarter than me to answer your questions, there are quite a few posts on here about adding diodes to bump down the voltage a bit.  I have the same problem on my 310, but I haven't got around to trying to fix it.

• Like 1

Fishroe

sorekiwi do you run your tractor for any length of time. has the overcharging done any damage.

sorekiwi

sorekiwi do you run your tractor for any length of time. has the overcharging done any damage.

This particular tractor usually only gets run for an hour or two at a time.  The battery that was in it when I got it (of unknown age) lasted another year in my hands, and just before winter I put a new one in.  When I start my tractor up it charges at a more or less normal rate for a minute or two, but suddenly jumps to above 16 volts where it remains for the duration of the session.

So really I have seen no ill effects from the overcharging (so far), but that 16 volts + does worry me a little.

There has been talk about someone designing a voltage regulator in an attempt to fix this.  I would love to try this.

Save Old Iron

So really I have seen no ill effects from the overcharging (so far), but that 16 volts + does worry me a little.

There are no immediate effects seen from 16 volt overcharging - unlike a automotive charging system, the 3 amp system has very little power even at 16 volts.

However, just like high blood pressure. it's the silent killer. Constant overcharging leads to evaporation of the electrolye in the battery - a small but constant amount that if left unattended, will definetly shorten the battery life thru evaporation and sulfation of the battery plates.

As Mike mentioned, there are several threads on inserting multiple diodes into the output of the stator. Each diode will reduce the voltage to the battery by 0.7 volts. Two diodes added to a standard 3 amp system will bring down the 16.5 volt charge to around 15.0 volts. The diodes WILL NOT limit the charge current from the stator. The additonal diodes will act as a constant voltage drop across a wide range of charging currents.

I will try to find the previous threads on the diode addition. Common 3 amp diodes are available off the shelf locally from Radio Shack.

Save Old Iron

Here is the thread I was thinking of

Many other threads exist but the advice is usually the same

1/ live with it

2/ make sure the battery isn't old and not able to take a charge

3/ insert a few diodes in the stator output to limit the output voltage.

Search the forum for the words "diode" and "charge" in the same search entry.

Edited by Save Old Iron

Fishroe

Thanks for the info.  I feel a little bit safer knowing the battery wont blow up or anything.  I will put 2 more diodes in whenever i get a chance.  Everyone have a nice evening.    

Mike in Dinwiddie Va.