neil

What is Arc Eye ??

neil

If anyone has ever had Arc eye then they will know how horrible& painful  this can be .

Do not ever watch anyone welding .

If you have any stories of ever having Arc eye then please share your experience of this so that others may never do the same .

Arc eye is a condition in which the outer layer of the eye is damaged due to ultraviolet (UV) radiation. The condition gets its name from one of the most common causes of corneal burns: exposure to the bright electric arc created when welding metals. Arc eye can lead to pain and severely blurred vision. When burns are mild, symptoms tend to go away in a few days by flushing the eyes with water and using over-the-counter eye drops. Severe injuries should be assessed at the emergency room, however, so doctors can accurately diagnose the problem and provide the appropriate medical care.

Welders who do not wear proper eye protection and people who are in the vicinity of a welding project are at risk of developing arc eye. The UV radiation produced while welding is intense, and focusing on the arc for even a fraction of a second can lead to a corneal burn. Many other sources of UV light can also cause arc eye, including the lamps used in tanning beds and very bright desk lights. In addition, extended exposure to sunlight can lead to burns, especially when the light is reflected by water or a snowy ski slope

post-2119-0-11675000-1389625897_thumb.jp

Stormin

I once got that due to working on a bench with a white painted wall in front of me. A workmate was welding behind me. I woke up that night with my eyes feeling as if they were full of sand. Every time I blinked or shut my eyes the pain was something terrible. Took a couple of days to clear.

• Like 2

Stigian

I had very bad "arc eye" many years ago when I was very young and stupid... I tried to weld just using a pair of sunglasses!!    Not only did my eyes feel like they were full of sand for a couple of weeks, I also managed to "over tan" my face at the same time and my skin was peeling for a long time!

So don't be as stupid as I was boys and girl, it's not worth the pain, the peeling and the possible permanent damage to you eyes. 

• Like 1

nylyon

In 5th grade I was helping my dad for the entire day.  My job was to hold some metal so he could weld it.  While I didn't really look directly at the arc, I got "Welders Eye" both eyes. It is not something I am likely to repeat, EVER!

SousaKerry

Across the pond here it is called Flash Burn.  I cringe every time I am watching some auto show or reality TV series based in a shop and the idiots pick up a mig gun and start tacking stuff up with no gloves, no helmet, no welding jacket or sleeves.  Don't know if they are just that stupid or are just trying to prove how tough they are on camera.  I can't believe that OSHA(Health and Safety in UK) doesn't sit around watching these idiots and writing up fines.

I have worked at several places that welding was going on and almost every one but my current employer someone winds up with Flash Burn somehow.  Usually happens from working too long in the area where welding is going on and the stray light gets them. 

We use UV printers here at our plants (our own design machines.)  Years ago they had to totally enclose the machines due to employees developing eye problems from stray light.  Still to this day they tell new employees never to look directly at a printer that is running unless the lamp is off. These lights are actually brighter then any welder, the power supplies for these things are about the size of 2 desktop computers laid end to end and are about 300Lbs. 

meadowfield

Have you ever listened to the lyrics? Bruce Springsteen was deffo on something when he wrote it :D

meadowfield

I get sunburn on my arms from welding! As well as the odd burn...

I'm sure that even though I wear a mask, sometimes I get a small amount of leakage as my eyes can get quite gritty sometimes.

Second Ian's comment, it's not worth the pain

chazm

When it comes to welding , you need all the gear to be safe, tinted helmet, heavy gloves, leather vest, long pants & NO sneakers & flip-flops  :naughty:    (ask me how I know  :eusa-doh: )

Like Meadowfield said about the sun burn, I got it bad on my chest once & I was wearing a vest :scratchead:     BE CAREFUL OUT THERE GUYS :eusa-clap:

• Like 1

Stigian

It maybe just me, or maybe because I know how painful arc eye can be, I find myself looking away from welding when it's on tv even though I know it can't do me any harm!!    Looking away from welding becomes automatic I guess.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

While in high school,  I got a summer job back in the 50's working for a construction co. that laid pipelines.  I reported for work the first day and with no instruction or safety warning, was told to jump down in the ditch and hold a steel 6" gas pipe while it was welded.  I did, and watched the welding all day with no eye  protection.  The weld flash was sooo bad, I could not close my eyes for 3 days. I taped them open and stared at a bare light bulb to stop the pain.  The good news is   I am not blind.  :banghead:

wheeledhorseman

I once got that due to working on a bench with a white painted wall in front of me. A workmate was welding behind me. I woke up that night with my eyes feeling as if they were full of sand. Every time I blinked or shut my eyes the pain was something terrible. Took a couple of days to clear.

Remember this all too well - you think you've got away with it until the bit where you wake up in the night with gritty painful eyes. I doubt anyone goes there more than once!

It maybe just me, or maybe because I know how painful arc eye can be, I find myself looking away from welding when it's on tv even though I know it can't do me any harm!!    Looking away from welding becomes automatic I guess.

Sure does but it helps to know that welding is about to happen. When it's my son that's welding in the workshop it's nice to know that it's about to start in advance. With the white walls even looking away isn't the ideal solution.

Andy

wallfish

Had it happen twice. The first time was worse and I had no idea of what is was at the time, thought I was going blind. Also sun burned the underside of my forearm pretty good while welding parts on the hoe. All of it caused by being too careless and stupid

• Like 1

neil

Had it happen twice. The first time was worse and I had no idea of what is was at the time, thought I was going blind. Also sun burned the underside of my forearm pretty good while welding parts on the hoe. All of it caused by being too careless and stupid

Like most accidents can be prevented ,  we can all  be guilty of being careless & stupid  .hopefully we don`t get too injured along the way

C-101plowerpower

i've had this more than once, due to the wrong glass in the welding mask :no:  my dad and mother tought me a remedy though, wholesome coffee milk, a few drops in both eyes and you're in less pain, because it's fat is stops the eye from drying out and causing the gritty feeling

Koen

• Like 2

Rick_in_CT

Great input guys.  As a non-welder but someone who would like to lean, this is new to me.  I had read this post when Neil first started it, and I happened to be touring a factory in Denver yesterday where they were welding, so the information was timely.  I have a young neighbor who welds, I will be passing on what I have learned here to him. 

Thanks to all contributors

• Like 1

neil

Rick. I am glad that reading this posting about Arc eye has prevented you from possibly getting it , so in making it aware to people has been totally worth while making  the post  & hopefully saved yours & your young neighbours  eyesight  or even just the pain of experiencing this horrible thing .

shorts

Most welding helmets today have the large window and are available with an auto dark feature with adjustable filter  darkness, call me old school but I prefer the protection of the small lense, 2 x 4 inches helmet painted white on the outside to reflect the heat away from my face, I also use a #12 tint gold plated lense between plastic cover plates. The #12 tint is darker than standard but it helps protect my previously sensitized eyes, the gold also helps to reflect the light and also gives a red tint to the weld and arc which I find easier on my eyes, the plastic cover lenses are to protect the tinted glass lense from dirt and burns.

• Like 1

neil

That reminds me , i must buy myself a new welding helmet as i stepped on my old one & broke it while trying to avoid stepping on my filter housing on my GT14

HorseFixer

Years ago straight out of high school my first job was forming and welding baffles in Tar Tankers. I didn't get it from my welding but from the guy next to me that was welding.  

Ground up potato juice helped that night after work but still suffered through it for a few days. :eusa-think:  

~Duke

• Like 1

squonk

Man,Now there's a band full of Cool Breezes!  :rolleyes:

redidbull

The last place I worked we made a Solar Simulator. Sun tan lotion places used it for SPF testing as well as solar panel makers. This thing could sunburn you in minutes. One of the guys was fully protected, or so he thought, except for the shirt sleeve cuff opening. Nice oval sunburn in minutes.We also made high intensity research systems of upwards of 1000 watts and heavy UV. I saw people many times working on them with no glases. Thay had prtective glasses gloves etc. I used them. I have gotten flashed a few times welding but thankfully it was a minor iritation. Jim

6wheeler

Arc eye just sucks. On a side note for this malady? If you wear contact lenses and happen to just "watch" someone welding? The same "burn" you feel can actually fuse the contact lenses to your eye. Not good...