Sign in to follow this  
Teddy da Bear

GT-14 Questions

Teddy da Bear

I am getting my GT-14 cleaned up and will hopefully take it to the Mentone show in two weeks.

This thing has got tons of residue all over the hydraulic system. I cleaned it off with carb & choke cleaner. It really works fast. Hope it is safe for the hoses.

Two things I would like to know as I check things over.

1. Does the GT-14 have one reservoir for transmission fluid and this also supplies the hydraulics?? Or is there more than one I should be checking?

2. What fluid do I use in this reservoir/reservoirs?

Thanks in advance.

wh500special

The carb and choke cleaner should be fine on the hoses if all you're doing is spraying it on and letting it evaporate. DON'T soak them it it though since it will swell the rubber. That stuff sometimes removes paint - depending on the type - so use it only where you need to.

The fluid in the transaxle sump serves as both the lubricant for the transaxle gears and as the hydraulic fluid for the transmission and lift system. Keep it clean, keep it full, and use the OEM Wheel Horse filter.

Chances are your GT has "Type A" automatic transmission fluid in it. Dexron III is the modern replacement for type A. IF the fluid on the dipstick is pinkish/red/orange, use the ATF. If it has brown (motor oil) fluid in it, use 10W30 or 10W40 motor oil. Will hold about 2.5 quarts I think.

You should keep the same type of fluid in it that it currently has unless you want to purge the system and start over with an alternate fluid. Really, ATF and motor oil are fully miscible in each other and are similar in properties, so if you (or a PO) screw up and put the wrong stuff in it you needn't be too concerned about a catastrophe, but you should try to avoid mixing them.

Have fun at your show with the GT!

Steve

rustbucket

the transaxle is the resivour and it is a uni system meaning the hydraulics and the hydro drive all feed from the same fluid and if i recall right it use to take type A auto tranny fluid that converts to dextron 3 now a days.

Teddy da Bear

Thanks guys.....

Funny thing.....the thing was peeing a little tranny fluid on the floor...just a few drips. Now that I have cleaned it up.....it isn't dripping anymore.

But I will give it a few days......the drips might return.....lol

linen beige

The carb cleaner caused the seals to swell. As soon as it completely evaorates they will shrink and start to leak again. Do this too many times and it will distort the seals or cause them to crack. It is a miracle the carb cleaner didn't cause the paint to wrinkle or peel off!

As for motor oil and atf being intermixable, they can be mixed without causing a castastrophic failure right away, but they are NOT the same product and are NOT intended to be mixed together.