Horse Play

Polishing Plastic Steering Wheel?

Horse Play

Is it possible to polish the plastic to bring back the glossy black?  My wheel is in excellent shape - no breaks, cracks, or deep scratches.  It's just a little dull and I really don't want to paint it. 

DSC_0148_zps575af67a.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES

This stuff will make it glow.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

post-3498-0-70285500-1389404042_thumb.jp

• Like 1

dodgemike

I know Meguirs and Mothers

Make similar products. You can't

Go wrong with 3M. It is not cheap

But.....you get what you pay for.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Anglo Traction

I  tend not to bother with buying 'purpose specific' products.

One product does a multitude of jobs for me.

I use either Metal polish like Brasso, in fluid or Wadding form. Or 'T Cut' , a rubbing compound for Auto paintwork.

It all does the same job and I've had great results after cleaning up the Steering wheels and Light Lenses after flatting with P600/1200 grade Carbon Paper. 

Bit it's your choice.

With the Leather/wrinkle effect in the spokes, it is best to just scrub with Washing up liquid and warm water and a Nail or old Toothbrush to get any residue out. 

Edited by Anglo Traction
  • Like 1

C-101plowerpower

I  tend not to bother with buying 'purpose specific' products.

One product does a multitude of jobs for me.

I use either Metal polish like Brasso, in fluid or Wadding form. Or 'T Cut' , a rubbing compound for Auto paintwork.

It all does the same job and I've had great results after cleaning up the Steering wheels and Light Lenses after flatting with P600/1200 grade Carbon Paper. 

Bit it's your choice.

With the Leather/wrinkle effect in the spokes, it is best to just scrub with Washing up liquid and warm water and a Nail or old Toothbrush to get any residue out. 

i'm with you on the brasso, great stuff for shining stuff up. doesn't cost much and can be used on a wide variaty of materials

Koen

Horse Play

I tried some 3M buffing compound, but it didn't do anything.  I might try that 3M stuff, does it take much effort?  Is Brasso is safe for plastic?

AMC RULES

I used it on my snow cab windows because of it's advertised "restores optical clarity" claim...

using a micro fiber cloth, I applied it liberally, and with using very little elbow grease...

the before and after difference was remarkable...so much clearer from just the one application.

Had originally bought the product back when I was restoring the taillights on my Javelin, that was 2009...

they're still glowing like brand new. You might pay a little more for the 3M name, but you can't argue with the results. 

post-3498-0-28492800-1389479263_thumb.jp

post-3498-0-85145700-1389479448_thumb.jp

• Like 1

wheeledhorseman

Here's what the wheel on my D-200 looked like before cleaning up.

post-4509-0-42368600-1389481456_thumb.jp

The discoloration is actually mainly due to a build up of finger grease over the years - yuk!

I've found that for the best results it's important to remove this stuff before using the sorts of products already mentioned and for this I've found that strong spray kitchen detergent (the stuff for greasy surfaces) does the job if applied neat and brushed in with a stiff toothbrush. It can take several attempts to get rid of it completely.

Once it was gone, and as this was a 'soft touch' wheel I used a 'dashboard clean and shine' product for automobiles in that it doesn't leave any residue in the same crevices you've just cleaned out. Smooth hard plastic type steering wheels are suited to the use of midly abrasive products for the shining up process as already mentioned.

Just my thoughts and experience.

Andy