wheelhorse66

k161 help

rmaynard

K161 & K181 share the same piston.  The crankshaft (stroke) is different.

Not all the same. Some K161's had a smaller piston that measured 2-7/8" (2.875)

• Like 2

Fordiesel69

Per the Kohler K series manual K181/K161 have identical bores.

I also checked my K161 generator vs my K181 875 tractor and the pistons were the same.

shorts

Post a picture of the scratch in the bore, is it deep enough to catch your fingernail in it?  Also can you catch a fingernail at the top of the cylinder where the top ring stops?

rmaynard

The later ones did, but the earlier ones had smaller bores. I refer you to a post from TT.

shorts

You don't have to replace the rod, but they are aluminum alloy construction with integral bearings machined in place. my opinion is if you're replacing the piston and rings you should replace the rod too as it also has lived it's expected life cycle and is old and tired to the point that it might not last long with the increased power of a fresh engine.

Like I said your engine and money, my opinion with 50 years of engine experience

• Like 2

wheelhorse66

is the piston supposed to have any movment in it without the rings on the piston,i took the rings off the piston and when i put the piston down the bore it had a little side to side play

TT

I apologize if this topic is helter-skelter, but I just merged four or five topics started by the OP related to the same or similar engine questions.

wheelhorse66

OK sorry bout that new to this rebuilding stuff

WH nut

You really need to get the Kohler manual and do some reading. It will tell you everything you need to know. Then is you have questions we can answer.

rmaynard

OK sorry bout that new to this rebuilding stuff

PM sent.

kudzu3

Might as well throw my 2cents in. If it were mine and I already had it apart and the condition is as you describe, I'd go ahead and get piston, rings, rod, have the cylinder bored (or at least conditioned), be sure the valves are in good condition, have it all professionally assembled and don't look back. It will last for many years to come. An internet search for parts will turn up many sources. Good luck with it.