dclarke

Nice job! :thumbs:

Mike'sHorseBarn

You've given me idea's on fixing my dump cart.  :thanks:

• Like 2

Stigian

Nice work Andy :handgestures-thumbup:

wheeledhorseman

As always, thanks for the supportive comments guys and I'm pleased it has inspired at least one other to consider repairing a cart. I'm amazed to see that the thread has had over a thousand views now but I guess it's the sort of work that doesn't draw exactly a whole lot of comment. Anyway, another couple of weeks and things are coming on.

A bit of filler was needed to blend in the new and old but it was beginning to look like it should.

post-4509-0-94556900-1395006755_thumb.jp

The sticky out piece that the tub rests on when tipped was added. My original thought was to duplicate the original which extends down and is welded to the tub just above the center ribs. The front of the repaired tub is so strong that this really isn't needed - I tried standing on the simple one I added and it didn't flex or move.

post-4509-0-09269700-1395006772_thumb.jp

I may add a 'decorative one later if I'm not happy with the appearance but for now it will be completed as is. Apart from that it was beginning to look much more like it should.

post-4509-0-50484600-1395007199_thumb.jp

post-4509-0-15425300-1395007218_thumb.jp

Back at the larger tub it was time to remove the last of the original paint, treat areas where rusting had occured and do the fine filler bit.

post-4509-0-68391500-1395007335_thumb.jp

Also time to say farewell to the original decals. I realise that these came with some variation in colour over the years they were used but these were a very dark red and it was only having removed them and held them up to another tractor that it became obvious that these were no accident of printing process. They were Wheel Horse Maroon - exactly the same shade as used on 200, 300 series etc.

post-4509-0-94944300-1395007712_thumb.jp

While on the subject of colours, I believe the WH red paint tended to vary, in this case a particularly 'firey red' - the camera has accentuated it slightly but I can see now why my C-100 and 216 more so ended up pretty much orange rather than red after years out in the sun.

Another point of interest that I've noticed before is the mysterious rusting that occurs under the decals. From the pattern of spots my guess is that they used the wet method of applying and that this is the long term hazzard that results from the use of no primer and tiny droplets of water that get sealed behind the decal. (Just a guess)

So Spring finally arrived an it was great to be able to work outside getting the last of the original paint off the smaller tub.

post-4509-0-47901500-1395007973_thumb.jp

and this is what they look like now primed.

post-4509-0-46121300-1395007987_thumb.jp

The decals have arrived from Mark (Meadowfield) but it will be a while yet before the tubs get their final coat (the air's getting warmer and drier but not quite good enough yet).

I did get the chance to try one out though as the aerator that came in the same haul as the small bath tub cart and a mid mount grader has been without since last year.

post-4509-0-17746900-1395008653_thumb.jp

and very nice it looks too - thanks Mark. :thumbs:

So that's about it for now, if the weather continues to improve as it has been then final coat and reassembly shouldn't be too far away.

Andy.

• Like 1

rexman72

very good work

meadowfield

Nice work :thumbs:

neil

This has been a great inspirational thread Andy , it has given me the gee up that i needed to to tackle the repair on my tub cart .

great work

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

They look great Andy. Coming along fine!

312Hydro

Wow!Once you paint them,I don't think they could be told from new! Great fab skills!I'll be looking at carts a lot differently (although I don't think I could do that nice of a job as you did). :bow-blue:

Anglo Traction

Looking very good Andy (as expected).

I can see you having some sort of liner in them when you use them !  :dunno: ,..... or are they going to be on Light Duty Show Candy?.    

• Like 1

Ken B

Very nice work Andy. I have a nice tub cart that I use for hauling firewood. If I can find a second cart you have motivated me to sand blast mine and lay on a real nice paint job!

swarfeater

being a fabricator myself and have done many many projects that to many were over done, all i can say is, thats dedication !!!

Stigian

Fantastic work Andy, it will be good to see them painted up :handgestures-thumbup:

wheeledhorseman

Your wish is getting closer Ian - the air's much drier now so I've made a start and sprayed one side of the carts and end panel today.

post-4509-0-01568000-1395699272_thumb.jp

As soon as the paint has hardened enough I can turn them over for the other sides an then when the paint's ready for handling reassembly will begin. :woohoo:

Thanks for all the positive comments guys, especially from a 'real fabricator'. For those of you thinking about taking the plunge I ought to mention that I've have no formal training in this line of work, only a limited range of equipment, I use a 140 amp stick welder I got way back in the 80s and a little gasless MIG I bought for doing body panels on cars. This is perhaps the most challenging project of its sort that I've attempted so I'd say take the plunge and have a go.

Andy

• Like 3

Digger 66

If these are going to be "users" , I'd love to see some bedliner on the inside .

If they are going to be for show , please disregard the above .

Awesome work !!!

• Like 1

wheeledhorseman

It's a very good point :thumbs: , and one that has been at the back of my mind but not made it to the front yet! My greatest pleasure from WHs and their attachments is in using them as intended. Obviously I take a bit of extra care with the tractors that I've got round to restoring but they do get the odd scratch here and there from time to time which is inevitable.

I'd love to hear about (and see) ideas and solutions guys have come up with for these carts, particularly the 10 cu ft. They'll be on light duties so no brick rubble or the like but some kind of wear protection for the bed would be useful.

Andy

Ken B

If you do plan to use them any kind of rubber mat laid out on the inside will no doubt help protect them..

meadowfield

I've cut a piece of 10mm marine ply and fastened it into the floor of my 10 cu ft  with A4 countersunk bolts. Then sealed around the outside - I don't feel too bad about filling it with big stones and rubble now :D

Stigian

I've seen people use spray on bed liner type stuff inside pick-up beds on many a fine American "Car building" show's.. Something like that would work well.. I'm guessing by it's very nature it has to be hard wearing stuff..

Lars

WOW.. good job on them Andy..  they look really good :)

wheeledhorseman

Both sides of the carts are painted now and as it was a nice warm day with some sun I reassembled the tub cart.

post-4509-0-47292200-1396220446_thumb.jp

Took it outside to see what it looked like in daylight.

post-4509-0-64332100-1396220457_thumb.jp

Not bad if you think back to what it was like when I got it so hitched it up.

post-4509-0-50123500-1396220470_thumb.jp

Then took it for a test run.

post-4509-0-11145000-1396220484_thumb.jp

Decided to do a bit of mowing as the grass has started growing and put it to use straight away. There were loads of twigs and bits of branch that had come down over winter so they were picked up as I went round and put in the cart. Found it's ideal for this.

The wheel bearings need replacing, new hub caps are on order from Glen, and the paint needs a couple of weeks before I put the decal from Mark on it. It's just the one silver Wheel Horse decal as the cart dates back to the '60s I guess - people could be trusted to use them sensibly then without the loading warning. Like the mid mount grader I got from the same barn find (also with the silver decal), the cart does not have and ID tag or any signs of ever having had one. Was this normal for that period?

The larger cart isn't quite ready to reassemble yet but hopefully this week - I need to get some stainless pan head bolts and finish the hitch bracket part I was making for it. I'll post some photos when its finished - nearly there now at last!

Andy

Anglo Traction

Excellent job on the Tub Andy :notworthy: . A fair old collection building up there. It's possible the Model /Serial Plate fell off. They didn't always rivet them, just relied on the Self Adhesive Backing. Seen that happen on several  old Attachments.

Spring has well and truly Sprung here,......... almost too quickly.  

wheeledhorseman

Project now completed!

Armed with hub caps that had arrived from Glen in the US and a decal from Mark (meadowfield), put the finishing touches to the little dump cart.

post-4509-0-62257500-1396980971_thumb.jp

Took it out for a photo, looks better still now with the caps and decal.

post-4509-0-39869100-1396980985_thumb.jp

Assembled the larger cart.

post-4509-0-99785700-1396981078_thumb.jp

Added the decals which include the original dealer sticker (thanks for doing that one for me Mark).

post-4509-0-60048700-1396981159_thumb.jp

Hitched the trailer up behind the D-200 which came out of hibernation specially. Not bad when you think what I started with.

post-4509-0-32294200-1396981256_thumb.jp

And took this cart out into the fields for a couple of photos.

post-4509-0-23148700-1396981307_thumb.jp

post-4509-0-46322800-1396981330_thumb.jp

Inca (the horse) gave a nod of approval before I put it away.

post-4509-0-46975500-1396981665_thumb.jp

I'm well pleased with how both carts have come out though it has to be said I could have restored a tractor in the time that it's taken to do these.

Thanks to all who've kept an eye on the progress and provided so much positive feedback.

Andy

• Like 2