oldlineman

transmission identification

oldlineman

Hi all, hope you all have had a good start to the new year,except for the coooold and snoooow! Well back to my question. Is there an identification # somewhere on the WH transmissions? I have a 1989 414-8,and a 1979 C101-8, and was wondering if they are the same transmissions. I was also wondering if there is a complete listing of all bearings and seals for these transmissions for a rebuild project? (other than WH dealer parts.) Thanks and keep warm.   Bob

gwest_ca

These are what you should have

1989 414-8

1979 C-101 8-speed

Get the Toro numbers and use the chart posted at the top of this Transmission Forum for other suppliers.

Garry

stevasaurus

No, there is no indent number on the transmissions.  You really have to pull up the manual or look at a list to see what trans is supposed to be on your horse.  The numbers on the case are just casting numbers.  :)  Yes...we can help you with the bearing and seal numbers...like Gerry said...that information is pinned at the top of this transmission section.

Edited by stevasaurus

groundhog47

Hi all, hope you all have had a good start to the new year,except for the coooold and snoooow! Well back to my question. Is there an identification # somewhere on the WH transmissions? I have a 1989 414-8,and a 1979 C101-8, and was wondering if they are the same transmissions. I was also wondering if there is a complete listing of all bearings and seals for these transmissions for a rebuild project? (other than WH dealer parts.) Thanks and keep warm.   Bob

Knowing this isn't what you asked, have found some numbers that save some bucks:

From Garry's manual, part #10 bearing #1542 crosses to Torrington B-107, 5/8 id x 13/16 od x 7/16 length. The four  bearings #22 in part #21 7204 gear (2ea 1518 Torr...B-108) will press from one side to other, the two (same as other 2 B-108) in part #23  5175 gear will not (a shoulder is just beyond final depth)(at least didn't in mine and a $%#@& to get out. I believe have the torrington # on #26 7207 bearing (Torrington B-68 3/8id x 9/16od x 1/2length), will have to ferret it out of hibernation (very small needle bearing). Take caution with shift fork detent balls X 2 and hi-lo shift fork detent ball (not listed as separate parts) and believe to be .250 (mine eroded are .246 .248)

Steve,Thanks for correction and demystification of Torrington numbers, great info!!

Edited by groundhog47

oldlineman

Thank you all for the fine information, as always a pleasure to ask a question on this form.  Bob 

jackhammer

Question

These are what you should have

1989 414-8

1979 C-101 8-speed

Get the Toro numbers and use the chart posted at the top of this Transmission Forum for other suppliers.

Garry

Upon searching to review some info,  I ask about the 414 - 8 link above.   When opened it has a great list but I'm confused on the my 1990 312- 8. You stated that  Toro lists is wrong . I'm not doubting that but am wondering as to what I should have in mine - - then is it the 1"1/8 axle with 8 pinion differential?

Question 2 . In axles and differentials  are these much better or just heavier built ?

Thanks

Rick

stevasaurus

It sure looks like you should have the #110995 transmission...1 1/8" axles and 8 pinions for the 312-8 1990.  :)

I think most of the pulling guys usually look for the 1 1/8" axles and 8 pinion transmissions to use in their tractors.  The answer is they are better and heavier built.  Talking differentials here...the other parts are pretty much standard in all the transmissions.

• Like 1

jackhammer

Steve thats a quick response.  I'm finding out more about my one of my workers. I didn't want to assume the larger size .

I am not into a puller like some others unless its a small agrifab or a big R cart .

Don't have time for the 2 runners I have now, and trying to mess with the 417A too.  How about a BTW??  I was taken the shroud off the 417, never mind here  I'll PM you dont want to get off topic.

Thanks

Edited by jackhammer
  • Like 1