Sign in to follow this  
boovuc

Loader Leak-Down

boovuc

Happy New Year everyone.

I have a leak-down issue on my ARK loader as of late. Wasn't doing it when I first mounted it after purchase but it is noticeable now. There is no fluid leak outside the system what so ever so and I am leaning on a valve/controller rebuild as the culprit.

I doubt anything was ever rebuilt on this loader since new which dates back quite a few decades. I also have no filter on the system.

Thoughts? (It leaks down as in having the loader elevated, the bucket slowly lowers perfectly level regardless of the hydro pump being engaged or not).

This is why I think my issue is in the control valve.

shorts

Most hydraulic valves have no internal seals, just the O-rings and wipers on the outer ends, your leakdown/drift problem is probably fluid leaking past the pistons internally in the lift cylinders, their is an internal seal between the piston and rod as well as the piston to tube seal. To test the system, with the bucket sitting on the ground, install a 2500 PSI ball valve with required adapter hoses and fittings between the control valve lift port and the lift cylinders, open the ball valve, raise the bucket, close the ball valve and watch or measure for drift, if the bucket still drifts down the problem is in the cylinders.  If the problem is in the valve you will probably need to replace the valve.

boovuc

Thanks, Shorts.

We'll give it a try.

shorts

I probably didn't stress enough that the engine needs to be off and the loader bucket on the floor before you put a wrench on any of the hydraulic lines . so BEFORE YOU OPEN THE HYDRAULIC LINES/SYSTEM LOWER THE LOADER TO THE GROUND  TURN OFF ENGINE, OPERATE LOADER VALVE HANDLES TO RELIEVE PRESSURE, then open hydraulic system/lines to install test valves/equipment, failure to follow above procedure can be hazardous to life and limb and will also result in an oil spill situation

MalMac

boovuc, I have got same problem. I believe my lift cylinders have some blow by going on. I know it's time to rebuild them. They have never been done. I am going to take the loader off and redo it anyway might as well rebuild the cylinders.