Jrblanke

Picked up a Christmas gift for myself... Wheel Horse 876

Jrblanke

I have been keeping my eye open for a short frame hydro for the past month or so, and this Wheel Horse 876 popped up in my area so I picked it up. On my drive home, I started to realize that I probably over paid for it given that it needs...everything (haha). I got the complete plow (blade, handle, brackets, etc), the dump cart (original handle is missing), and the tractor for $350. I figured the dump cart would be $50 - $75, and the plow would be about a $150, so thats $150 bucks for the tractor. It was definitely an adventure going through the field to the barn where it was being stored. My old toyota is only a 2wd and it had been raining for a couple days. 

Anyways, the guy I got it from bought it from the original owner about 30 years ago in New Jersey. I asked if he had any paperwork or documentation with it and he just laughed at me and asked me if I was ****ing nuts :grin:  (had to try though). He said it was running when it was parked, but I am not sure how long ago that was. I got the feeling the reason it was put into storage is because he didn't need it in NC for snow duty. 

This one will probably be a long term project. I need to get some other house related things done before tearing into this one. It is good to have it though. It has a lot of cool style and Im excited to have the tight turning radius hydro combination. 

My short term plan will be to learn as much as I can about the hydro, then get it running. After seeing how it runs and drives, I'll probably tear it down and make it pretty.  

This was the best I could do for pictures. I'll get better ones after I clean it up. We will call these pictures....the "barn fresh, i'm almost too embarrassed to post, pictures"...

114_1119_zps1637f0c1.jpg

114_1123_zps2d33c51d.jpg

114_1126_zps6f531ddb.jpg

114_1128_zps5eeb5936.jpg

114_1130_zpse0166c25.jpg

• Like 3

Jrblanke

I posted this in the wrong section, this is supposed to be in the regular section. Please move this post. 

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Nice treat for yourself

Yep...that sounds like a guy from joisey.

Glenn

qd-16

I bet that cleans up real nice!!

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:  I bet it's work clothes will be too nice to restore.    :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Remember, they're only original once...either way though, nice  :wh: score. 

KC9KAS

Nice GT.

I found a 875 this summer and it is a great little machine.

Wheel-N-It

Merr Christmas Neighbor. I wondered who from Red Square would buy that one. I figured it would either be you or jay. Nice tractor JR.

We were doing the same thing yesterday. My Son and I took a road trip to Trenton NC to pick up the 1993 314 Hydro that was listed. It came with a 42" SD mowing deck. Also like yours there was no paperwork. Only had 527 hours on it though. I let the oil drain all night, and put some fresh stuff in this morning. Its out in the shop running now. After an hour run time I will change it again. I hope yours is easy to get running again. Best of luck with it!

rmaynard

I'd take that for Christmas, or any other day as a matter of fact. Looks like a nice pickup. I don't think you overpaid.

jay in nc

yeah van called me about that one but ive been working non stop so i couldnt get it , The life of an industrial pipefitter over the holidays! good luck with it , I love my 1066 i bought from van.   Jay

Ken B

Nice score. I don't think you over paid for it either. The cart is probably worth closer to 150 bucks. They are probably harder to find in your area than the tractors themselves....

Tim

it is absolutely worth what you paid 

jeez people ask for 200 buck for original wheel weights and your worrying about 350?

you got a whole tractor plow and cart

when broken down you got the tractor for about 50-100

Jrblanke

Thanks for the comments. I am looking forward to messing with it! I'll take some better pictures tomorrow in the sunlight. 

Retired Wrencher

:USA:  :wh: very nice tractor. Just remember about the tow valve since it is not running, Enjoy the ride. Gary   B..................

jackhammer

"A rose is a rose"

That will be a beautiful bright red one.  Nice find

Wheel-N-It

James brought the 876 to my house for me to take a look at it this evening. I was really impressed with the overall condition of his new Horse. The fuel tank was dry and clean and shiny. I gave him some advice for getting it started. Of course I could be wrong, but I believe after performing just the very basic of prep work this 876 will fire right up. Unlike alot of old LAGT's this one looks like it was running just fine when it was put away years ago. I'm excited for him!

James got to see and hear run the 314 HYDRO I bought the same day he bought the 876. I'll be posting some pics of it when I get back to work next week.

Jrblanke

It was great to see Van's collection of horses today! I learned a few tricks and am looking forward to trying them out. I gotta pick up some Marvelous mystery oil to squirt down into the cylinder and let it soak. While the little kohler is soaking, I need to get the C100 running so I can try to entice Jay to buy it!  :D

Here are the day time pictures I promised. 

114_1149_zpsd7f08f53.jpg

114_1150_zpsb6fc6d2f.jpg

114_1151_zps335776cc.jpg

114_1153_zps4162d9fd.jpg

Hmmm....gotta figure out what to do about not having any keys....one size fits all I hope?

114_1148_zps16ab9b95.jpg

• Like 1

876wheelhorse

i miss my old 876... its hydro was getting weak i pulled and pulled a harrow with it working my acre for grass. then i pushed alot of dirt snow stone etc... it was a worker for sure. had to retire it and sold it on here for like 85 dollars. the cylinder wall had cracks in it. probably couldve made alittle more on it as i gave it away i would like to know what happened to that. i asked the guy that bought it and he sold it and that guy was going to restore it hmmmm