varosd

$50 CL Workhorse 1848

varosd

well that sucks....

always a possibility with these tractors if they have worn lines. thanks for reminding us Don that we are sometimes only a moment away from getting covered in trans oil........ :thumbs:

:thanks:

and it wasn't a drip drip drip.  it was like having the "chip" light coming on (for all you rotor heads!) 

but anyway,  it was disconnect the tranny quickly (I do like that feature on this 1983 Work Horse and its on my 1988 520-H, so I can still run the tractor and not have the tranny engaged)

update: can't read the model tag, all faded out. but found some paint under the fender and it's not metallic so she should be a 1983.

Edited by varosd

varosd

finally got around to replacing the hydro line from the spool back to the tranny.  went with a local hose place just to get it done and the OEM R3 hose is scarce so they used R17. No wire and super flexible. The Eaton 1100 only is 700 psi but this hose is good up to 3000psi.some of the other fittings are wet (when are they not) but nothing like the gusher I had, will keep an eye on them.

changed the engine oil (no filter!?!) and changed the tranny filter (WH of course)and oil.

runs great!

hydro is strong and the Briggs sounds great.

thinking about some paint in the spring.

^_^

• Like 2

Martin

thaw great Don!

now get some seat time on that horse........ :thumbs:

varosd

just got in from running all over the soggy lawn.  neighbors were probably looking out to see if another catastrophe would occur! ^_^

Sparky

I see you yakkin about this one in the Shoutbox   :grin:  .....how about an update with some pics Don?

Mike...........

• Like 2

varosd

Hope Martin and Kelly aren't watching!  They are the Resto magicians!

I was just going to leave the rusty metal as is but spray bombed the engine tin and decided to do the tin. not a frame off as it's still a worker. While the running boards/belt cover and side panel are decent. The hood and fender were really dented and pitted.

found a $10 fender that actually came off a workhorse and was painted black...(disregard other items that the guy was selling)

00l0l_etsdifJU0O6_600x450_zps6e4ae833.jp

into the E-tank!  The recycle bin was a perfect fit

E-tank_zps45a58815.jpeg

All primered up. 

tin_zpsa802443f.jpeg

looking for a hood at the big show. 

I never used a paint sprayer and don't have a compressor.  gonna find someone with skills and equipment in exchange.  I did find that Ace Rust stopper Ford Grey is a dead ringer for the Work Horse as it had a ever so slight green undertone. no 2 stage paint for this worker!

• Like 2

Fun Engineer

Don, I just saw a nearly new GT 1800 hood for sale somewhere. Can't remember where. I'll see if I can find it. PS looking good.

Update. It's in Almont, MI under Wheel horse gt 1800 hood. No shipping but if you buy it I can make arrangements to pick it up for you and bring to PA in June. Pm me your email and I'll send the link.

Here's the link.

post id: 4487721619 posted: 17 hours ago.

Sent from my tractor seat using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Fun Engineer

varosd

Just to update on the sad, rusted and neglected Workhorse I got for $50. I really just wanted the deck and the wide rear wheels.  But you know how it goes...

Here is how I got it.

workhorse2_zpsd2718e45.jpg

I changed out the trashed high back seat for the mid seat from Northern tool.  The hydro lines adventure is in the past. I did end up also having to replace the hydro control valve that was leaking. got one from Squonk (Mike) at the big show. I will break apart the leaky one and learn how to rebuild it for the future.

The muffler had a deflector that had rusted off. So I used VHT header primer ,header silver paint. I had used the black color on the 416 muffler and was impressed.

1101141347_zpsdea2b1ee.jpg

I got the replacement deflector for $7, a new muffler would have been $80...ouch!   I had some scrap mesh and cut it to size.

1101141349_zps6f17b787.jpg

and the final product! 

1101141504_zpsf2e14c39.jpg

I removed all the decals using the behind the metal heat gun method and I got the complete Work Horse decal set from the Vinylguy (Terry). I used Ace high temp BBQ black spray paint. its a worker resto not a full rotisserie trailer queen!

1c11602e-b147-4687-b442-fd3a64a5a71a_zps

Thanks to Fun Egineer (Dave) for finding me a NOS hood and bringing to the big show.

I used single stage PPG Shopline acrylic enamel paint with a 4 stage Accuspray turbine system (like a big vacuum cleaner). Thanks to multiple folks on painting questions..Bob Maynard, Squonk, Bowtie, Fun Engineer, etc

my first time painting (and outside so), there were drips, overspray, orange peel, occ bug!  but it's the first time and the PPG is the way to go, a bit pricey when you add in the cost of hardener and reducer but it lays out nice.  Obvious that I couldnt match the paint of the NOS hood that while never used,  looked to have been stored in a hot shed as the decals had shrunk leaving a stickey glue edge.  I can't resolve myself to sand and spray it to match the other metal since it is too nice, so I did get another hood all sprayed with new paint.

1109141431_zps5ebe8ed3.jpg

I still need to paint or powder coat the original rims. I just put on the wheels off the B-80 for now. I will not use the original style front sorta rib tires and will just use turf tires and I added LED tail lights instead of the reflectors. here it is with the NOS hood for now and needs the decals put on.

1116141554_zps98d2c1c3.jpg

• Like 8

ericj

look'in good don

eric j

Geno

Way to go Don, saving a :wh:  is the best thing you can do!  She looks the best.   :handgestures-thumbsup:    :text-coolphotos:

Edited by Geno

Fun Engineer

Great job Don. You accomplished a lot of first time tasks. That will help with your next several tractor restorations.

Sent from my tractor seat.

Martin

Don, that turned out real nice. makes me want to go hug my 1848.......

Sparky

Looks great Don! Its nice to see another work-Horse brought back from the edge.

Mike............

• Like 1

squonk

Looks great Don!  :thumbs:      :rolleyes: First time I've ever been thanked for painting advice!  :rolleyes:  :eusa-whistle:  :)

Wheel-N-It

Don, that turned out really nice! How bout a pic of you standing next to your good work?!