Ed Kennell

Bearing supplier Question

Ed Kennell

I am redoing the mower deck on the 1970 Raider 12 that I picked up for $250 this spring. The deck is in good cond, no rust, and the spindles are quiet and tight. I did manage to ezee out a broken  zerk in the center spindle.  I like the 42" deck, M/N 5-1423 and plan to use it as my primary mower and give my Tecky powered C-120 a break.  I removed the bearings from the two PTO / mower belt idler pulleys and thought I would replace them although they sound and feel OK.   The only place I have found the bearings are on Parts Tree Toro for $50.44 each. These bearings Toro P/N 4567 are sealed ball bearings 0.375"ID,1.375"OD and 0.250" wide.   Typical bearings this size sell for less than $5.  Anyone know where they can be bought for $5 or less ?

If I can't find the bearings at a reasonable price, the alternative is to use a bearing with a 0.625" ID and replace the 3/8-16 bolts with a 5/8x3/8-16 shoulder bolts. Has anyone tried this ?    :confusion-helpsos:

gwest_ca

From my notes on Toro 4567

Nice 7842-4 on bearing

Report of 6300-2RS as the replacement

Garry

Ed Kennell

From my notes on Toro 4567

Nice 7842-4 on bearing

Report of 6300-2RS as the replacement

Garry

:thanks:   Garry, I'll check local suppliers again with those numbers.   Ed

Digger 66

Dumb question : did you try McMaster Carr / MSC / Grainger ?

Ed Kennell

No dumb questions here Digger.  Thanks for asking.    Yea I checked em all.  The problem is the 1.375" OD and the .250 width are a must to fit and lock into the pulleys. The bearings available with these two dimensions have a smaller ID..usually .250".     For now, I have cleaned the old bearings, repacked and reassembled the mower. It sounds good, but even though I replaced the bearing seals, they are not as tight as new bearings.   If they get dirty and fail, I will go to plan B, ...using a shoulder bolt or drill and tap for a larger bolt to match the bigger bore bearings that are available.   

Digger 66

No dumb questions here Digger.  Thanks for asking.    Yea I checked em all.  The problem is the 1.375" OD and the .250 width are a must to fit and lock into the pulleys. The bearings available with these two dimensions have a smaller ID..usually .250".     For now, I have cleaned the old bearings, repacked and reassembled the mower. It sounds good, but even though I replaced the bearing seals, they are not as tight as new bearings.   If they get dirty and fail, I will go to plan B, ...using a shoulder bolt or drill and tap for a larger bolt to match the bigger bore bearings that are available.   

Would this help ?http://www.bearingson.com/category/radial_ball_bearings/6300_series/6300-2rs.asp?page=1&SortType=0]

Edited by Digger 66

Ed Kennell

:thanks:  Digger.... the prices are good on that site, but still no luck finding the correct size. :banghead:

gwest_ca

:thanks:  Digger.... the prices are good on that site, but still no luck finding the correct size. :banghead:

So the 6300 is not correct? What dimensions do you need?

Garry

sorekiwi

My (older style) tiller uses the 4567 bearing in its idlers. 

My notes show that I used 1623-2RS bearings which are 1.375 OD, 5/8 ID, but .4375 wide.  I used a bushing on the id to reduce it to suit.  I don't remember having to do anything to accommodate the width, and on my tiller they are retained into the pulley with a snap ring.

Are you sure about that .250 width?  Seems awfully narrow.

I paid $3.00 apiece from The Big Bearing Store.

SousaKerry

Try Motion Industries or Applied Industrial chances are a local branch is near to you.  Check the old Bearings for stamped in part numbers or just take the old ones in and they will match them up for you.

Ed Kennell

So the 6300 is not correct? What dimensions do you need?

Garry

My notes show that I used 1623-2RS bearings which are 1.375 OD, 5/8 ID, but .4375 wide.  I used a bushing on the id to reduce it to suit.  I don't remember having to do anything to accommodate the width, and on my tiller they are retained into the pulley with a snap ring.

Try Motion Industries or Applied Industrial chances are a local branch is near to you.  Check the old Bearings for stamped in part numbers or just take the old ones in and they will match them up for you.

I'll check the width tomorrow.  Maybe I misread the vernier.  I measured 0.375 ID x 1.375 OD x 0.250 W. They are held in the pulley with  snap rings. I do have a Motion Ind. 15 mile from me. 

TT

I used the same combination as Kiwi Mike on the last one I patched up......

I bought a 1623-2RS from Fastenal and a bushing from TSC and had less than $5 in both pieces.

Bearing

Bushing

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:text-blondmoment:   I rechecked the width this morning with the mics.  Guess my 70 year old eyes need to retire the vernier. Thanks for convincing me to check it Mike.

Thanks to all for setting me straight.

sorekiwi

Thanks to all for setting me straight.

Happens to us all - as we get older anyway!!  At least your problem is solved!