Sign in to follow this  
Greg B.

Rare or Just Unpopular

Greg B.

This is NOT a "what's it worth" posting. I have no intention of parting with this tractor. Besides, it was a gift and my upbringing prohibits selling a gift.

The tractor in question is my C-165 Automatic, 01-16KS012054, 9207. I am a member of several WH associated boards and this model is among the least discussed on all of them. Is it a particularly rare model, or unpopular, for a reason I have yet to discover?

I have only discovered two other owners and one of them wasn't very sociable. I can find C160s all over the place. I even found a C-175.

:D

Greg B.

Sparky

The C-165 is from the "Black Hood era" and is not as popular a style as the older "C" series look. Even the newer 300-400-500 series gets more respect than the black hoods.

I personaly like the black hoods the best and have 3 running black hoods and one black hood parts machine(with no headlight assembly :D ). They have the same running gear as the classics and are just as rugged except for the plastic fender pan which most folks have swapped out anyway.

Mike......lovin his black hoods :P

Nick

Just my guess but if the C-165 sold less it could be because there was also the option to upgrade to the C-175 twin kohler. Before that the next choice after the C-160 would have been a big D series and Im sure that would have been a big price jump. Dealers might have even pushed the C-175 as being smoother running kohler twin cylinder tractor. I forget where the 16hp twin briggs tractor fit in the lineup.

Nick

CenPennGuy

Any pics of this C-165 ? I'm new to the WH world so I'm not sure what you have but would like to see some pics if posible? :D

nylyon

I have to admit, I'm not a big black hood fan myself, but they are growing on me. There are a few guys who have some really nice ones, and the more I see them, the more I warm up to them. But they are 100% Wheel Horse though. I'm in a similar boat, though. My favorites are the 400 series, which are considered by many as not collectable probably because of their age, but I don't care I like em.

Rollerman

Another thing to consider is the C1x5 tractors were not produced as long as say the C1xx, C1x1 & the 300/400/500 series tractors.

Nick is right too...there were more engine packages available in the C 1x5 series than the previous C series.

Stephen in northern IN...with 1 black hood in his herd

Greg B.

Well..., look at the Edsel. It's a helluva lot more desireable, today, than when it was new! :D

My reason for this query is that I'm trying to decide what to do with this critter. I don't want to cut up something that is worthy, or even demanding, of restoration. There are ways to modify most machines and still not do anything that can't be undone. I will go that route if I have to. However, if this is just another neat old Chevy, My concience won't bother me too much.

I have a digital camera on my Christmas list.

Thanks,

Greg B.

Curmudgeon

Sorry, those are still the "ugly tractors" to me. Which is GOOD!!! Don't want everyone wanting the same thing now do we?

Dale, giving 2 cents where half a penny wasn't called for.

Greg B.

Okay, so it's rarity is because it was neither fish, nor fowl, on the showroom floor. Kind of like putting a small block in a work truck. I can accept that. It also salves my concience about upgrading the hydraulics, electrics and attachment capability.

As far as aesthetics are concerned, I have to get in line with Mike. I LIKE the black hoods. If it weren't for those phoney rectangular headlights, they would suite me to a T. The hood lines are, to my eye, near perfect. I guess that's why I drive a 1968 Ford F100. I don't care for the robo-cop, semi-phallic, appearance of the newer vehicles. :P

:D BTW, I just got a new, to me, 1969 F100 long bed, Ranger. (part of my Christmas) It's complete and very, very restorable.

Thanks, gang,

Greg B.

T-Mo

I can almost see the lines of the late '60's early '70's Ford hoods in the Wheel Horse black hood "Cs". :D

I had two '71 Fords P/Us in the past, the first one a F250 with camper special, 300 inline six, automatic, the second one a F150 with the 302 and auto. The problem with that style Ford was the cab mounts rusting out and the cab dropping a little which put a bind on the steering. I've seen it on more than one Ford, first was my father-in-laws 1967 that he bought new. He still had it when I met my future wife back '78. 390 with 3 speed on the column. Good truck.

Greg B.

Terry,

The 68 is a 300, in front of a C6. I've embarassed a few 302 owners :D

The 69 is a 390 automatic. I love the old Y-blocks, but when I spotted that power steering, I had to have it! The truck is straight and very little rust (Alabama). She's only been sitting for two years, so this won't be a bad restore, at all.

Greg B.

Rollerman

Greg I wanted to ad that the C1X5's are not ugly...I have one & think it's a sharp tractor even faded out...besides beauty is in the function sometimes not the form :D

I agree with you on the round headlight behind the square trim....& you see it all the way to the end in the 300/400/500 series.

Now saying a K341 is like haveing a small block in a work truck...Haha.

That K341 has plenty of power...think of it more as a 454 compared to Duramax.

It has plenty of power, just rus a bit more ruff & likes fuel!

The Fords sound nice & there is a thread in the off topic area with some of are Wheel Horse haulers...shood add a pic to it?

You don't see to many trucks/cars unrestored in my area that old & if you did you'd need a tetanus shot to drive one.

Greg B.

Stephen,

I'm very aware of the K341's power. I have one red and one green. However, put yourself in, say, an accountants shoes. You're standing in the WH dealership, talking to a salesman who lives off his commisions. He's going to make that twin look very cost effective, in 1980 dollars.

I gotta ask, though, are all K341s the gas hogs that my two are? Of course, having to maintain 3/4 throttle, any time they are in motion, is a serious factor. The sticks are probably lighter drinkers than the hydros.

Lets see, I got the truck, I'm getting a ton of coal and a DA sander. We'll see if Santa comes through with a camera. In this part of Al, the locals think Polaroid is bleeding edge technology! I'd rather have more tips and nozzles, for the mig. :D

I know what you mean about the tetanus shot. I'm from Michigan!

Greg B.

Sparky

The hydo tranny is whats suckin up all yer fuel. My C-125 with an hydro tranny uses way more than my 312-8! Once the auto tranny is engaged its like having a load on the motor all the time. But I dont care...I love having the hydraulic lift and infinite speeds.

Mike.....

CHARGER9AUTO

The hydo tranny is whats suckin up all yer fuel. My C-125 with an hydro tranny uses way more than my 312-8! Once the auto tranny is engaged its like having a load on the motor all the time. But I dont care...I love having the hydraulic lift and infinite speeds.

Mike.....

Mike, I should of aquired Eric's C-125 Auto with Hydro lift but I did not have any extra room to haul the tractor home :D in back of the Penske GMC rental truck . Ben...........

Sparky

Yep. I was a little nervous buyin it and as soon as I drove off on it the wiring melted! I think I only got 50 feet with it. He gave me a couple bucks back and I hotwired it and was back in business. Once it was home I bought a new ignition switch and a harness and its been a trouble free tractor ever since.

Mike.........

CHARGER9AUTO

Yep. I was a little nervous buyin it and as soon as I drove off on it the wiring melted! I think I only got 50 feet with it. He gave me a couple bucks back and I hotwired it and was back in business. Once it was home I bought a new ignition switch and a harness and its been a trouble free tractor ever since.

Mike.........

Mike, I think the 42" Dozer Blade went with the tractor as a package deal at the show that's what he told me . :(:D:P Ben.........

sorekiwi

Sorry, those are still the "ugly tractors" to me. Which is GOOD!!! Don't want everyone wanting the same thing now do we?

Dale, giving 2 cents where half a penny wasn't called for.

Its not the color of the hood that matters, its whether its round or square!!

Curmudgeon

They're still ugly to me, and more initials I have no idea the meaning of.......

Dale

T-Mo

Dale,

I gotta agree somewhat what with you on the initials, acronyms, abbreviations, or whatever the proper term they're called. We're told at work that if we use abbreviations or acronyms in any documents to be sure we identified what they are in the document. For instance, you see the term Cap/Can used, we would have to put either in the first usage of that term or maybe in an appendix that Cap/Can refers to the Capsule/Canister that the harpoon missile is launched out of.

When I first started using the 'net and I saw "IMHO" I thought that some woman was admitting to be a ho. :D

nylyon

ROTFLMAO :D

Curmudgeon

I've heard where college students are starting to turn papers in with acronyms instead of words. Which of course can result in failing grades.

Face it, there is too much misunderstanding in this world as it is, why do people want to add to confusion just to save typing a couple of letters? Talk about lazy. No wonder america is falling behind the rest of the world in so many aspects.

Dale, soapboxing a bit........