myron in ct

Stuck in hi range

myron in ct

I have a 14 HP 8 speed stuck in hi range . I filled it with kerosene and drove it around still can't move it .

I connected a spring to the handle and left it for a month still stuck .

Is there some way to lub. it ?

Thanks to all who help .

Myron

sorekiwi

It is quite possible that the hi/low shift fork is broken or bent.  Normally this happens when it is shifted while the tractor is in motion.

Did this occur while you owned the tractor?  or did you acquire it with this condition?

groundhog47

Am by far no expert, this happened to me on a transmission once (car). There may be something preventing the sliding gear from traveling over the slide like damaged teeth or excessive wear on the shift fork. If your H/L lever moves with no resistance other than minimal by detent ball the shift fork may have broken. If the lever won't move foreign object may be blocking. If that's the case you may get it to fall free, but whatever it was might get picked up somewhere else and CRUNCH. Have you ever been into a transmission, Stevasaurus, Steve and Mike, racinfool40 are experts in the innards and workings. 

Edited by groundhog47

stevasaurus

Gerry and Mike are right...bent or broken.  Do not force it.  If I may...it is probably better to be stuck in Hi rather then Low.  You will have to split the trans to fix the problem, but if it is not broken (just bent) you can use the trans in the 3 forward high gears and reverse and not do more harm.  Maybe tear it down in the spring...just do not touch the hi/low using it.  I know...not the ideal situation...but if you are careful, you can get by until nice weather.  Racinfool40 has the replacement parts when you tear it down.  :)

AMC RULES

Shifting on the fly...is that what damages the shifting fork? 

• Like 1

sorekiwi

Shifting on the fly...is that what damages the shifting fork? 

Unless you get it just right, it can damage the 1/2/3 gears in the trans.  The one I worry about the most is 3rd as it is the one that is most easily damaged and leads to the jumping out of third problem.

On the Hi/low shifter, shifting on the fly is VERY BAD.  The fork isn't that strong to start with, and the change in speed/torque from Hi to Low is huge.

I NEVER shift Hi/Low while moving, and very very seldom shift the other gears while moving.

• Like 4

stevasaurus

Yes...it is a thin piece of flat metal acting like a fork sliding the gear...doesn't really take to much to bend or break after time.  Remember...these trannys are usually around 30 to 40 years old...parts do get some wear.  I know some of my gears started to show signs of wear when I was around 30...a little more wear at 40...I am 60+ now...and with the right lubrication, I just keep going. :)  I also stop first before I change gears...very important.

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 5

woodchuckfarmer

Ill second that Steve

• Like 1

tunahead72

Likewise, especially the part about proper lubrication. :)

• Like 1