kudzu3

Oh! The dreaded steering wheel.

kudzu3

My steering wheel is on there to stay, there's no removing it short of explosives. Since the wheel is in pretty good shape, I'll restore it, and the shaft while still attached to the dash. Here's the problem... The collar that is between the wheel and the dash is deteriorated so badly that when I rub it, it turns to dust. It has to go, so what should I replace that with and how is the best way to do it. I will probably just leave it off unless someone has a good idea. I know this is a "non issue", but just trying to learn from your experience. Thanks.

rmaynard

What model and year tractor are we discussing here?

kudzu3

Woops...sorry. '74 B80.

rmaynard

The steering wheel for that model should be the soft wheel. It is very difficult to remove without damage once rusted. Is your problem getting the roll pin out, or do you have it out and can't get the wheel off the shaft?

kudzu3

Yes sir, it is the soft wheel. I have made a half attempt to remove the pins, but after reading the horror stories of others, I am going to just leave it alone. I won't have any trouble restoring everything as is. My only problem is the big plastic spacer/collar between the wheel and the instrument panel case, it is ruined from weather and age. I'm not too concerned about it, I can always put some pipe insulation or something in its place, or just do without it. I was just wondering if anyone else has ran into this and what did they do about it.

pacer

I am presently dealing with a steering wheel issue on a C-100 in that there was no way short of destruction was it coming off, and the wheel was in way to good condition to mess it up. So like you, I removed it as an assembly with the dash housing still attached - was relatively painless doing it this way too...cleaned it all up, taped off the steering wheel and painted the rest.

I was fortunate though and my spacer was in good condition - in spite of sitting outside for 20 plus years

doc724

When I pulled the wheel of my 78 C141 a few months ago, it was on pretty securely.  I sprayed the snot out of it with Kroil.  A day later, I tapped out the spirol pin.  Still the wheel would not budge.  So I sprayed some more and waited a day.  When I came back, all I did was turn the wheel and there was enough resistance between the tires and the garage floor that the wheel spun freely off.  I used lots of neverseeze when I reinstalled it.

With regard to the disintegrating collar.  If you cannot get the steering wheel off, get a piece of schedule 40 or schedule 80 PVC pipe of as a close a diameter as you can find.  Cut it to length and slice it longitudinally.  Using regular PVC  solvent cement, cement the two halves together around the steering shaft.  Sand off any excess solvent cemnet and paint it black.   If you can get the steering wheel off, just cut the PVC to length, roughen the surface and paint it black.

• Like 1

pacer

With regard to the disintegrating collar.  If you cannot get the steering wheel off, get a piece of schedule 40 or schedule 80 PVC pipe of as a close a diameter as you can find.  Cut it to length and slice it longitudinally.  Using regular PVC  solvent cement, cement the two halves together around the steering shaft.  Sand off any excess solvent cemnet and paint it black.   If you can get the steering wheel off, just cut the PVC to length, roughen the surface and paint it black.

Great idea Doc - PVC has got me out of many a situation, now I can add another use for it (and amazingly hellava good for plumbing too!!)

953 nut

Have you considered using an "ETANK" on the wheel to get rid of the rust and let you remove the wheel safely. Lots of good threads on the subject on here. Hope it will :help: .

Good luck and keep us posted.

• Like 1

kudzu3

953nut: No, I haven't considered it, but I will research and see what it is all about. Thanks.