ibskot

Side or rear... where do you shoot grass? why?

Lane Ranger

There is also some interesting differences in the various decks side or rear discharge that changed with each years design.  The old 48 1054 side discharges had very good spindles and bearing housing and worked great in high grass.  The deck was a little deeper than later models.  The 1968 Raider 9 has a  fairly heavy deck and the PTO set up off the right side of the motor and deck.   Makes a very good cut high or low grass and in third gear.   The gear driven rear discharge decks on the Lawn Rangers  really are only good for low and regular grass cutting.   However, the 32 inch gear drive, rear discharge decks can get closer to just about anything you want to cut without damaging the bushes, or you tractor.   The higher the grass on a yard when mowing with my B-8-  and a 36 inch rear discharge and the more likely you are to leave some grass trails in the center of the mower decks trail.   The gator blades help a lot like Glen Pettit indicates and I put some on my 36 inch B-80's mower deck right after I first saw Glen's suggestion.  They break up the grass a little more under the deck housing. 

• Like 1

Digger 66

Side .

The only reason is : That's where the discharge is .