Indy443

Rear tires keep going flat...

stevasaurus

Like was said...find the leak first.  Spray glass cleaner works great.  It is possible that it is the valve core and not the stem...easy fix if that is it.  It is weird that it is happening to both of them at the same time. :)  Also, that summer air is never worth it's salt in the winter. :eusa-think:  :ychain:

• Like 1

Don1977

I suggestion is a little different. Go and buy some new 4 ply tires and have them put on by the dealer. I had problems with the 2 ply tires on my Wheel Horse. I got stuck and ripped the side out of the old 2 ply that solved my problems. Bought a set if 4 ply Carlisle 23 x 1050 X 12, that was 24 years ago and they still look almost new.

• Like 3

Wheel-N-It

I'm glad Don was here (on this thread) before me. I completely agree with him regarding this issue. If the old tires are a problem, then buy some new and better tires (and put a tube in them too). That solves the problem. An old tire will always be just that, an old tire.

608KEB

I pulled a tube out from a PO. Cleaned up the inside of the rim and used this bead sealer (Monkey Grip). It's been a year and I haven't added any air to the tire. I also put a new stem on it.

post-5623-0-08364500-1386955443_thumb.jp

Edited by 608KEB
  • Like 2

flyovrcntry

I pulled a tube out from a PO. Cleaned up the inside of the rim and used this bead sealer (Monkey Grip). It's been a year and I haven't added any air to the tire.

I have also had the tube taken out,I just don't see the point.If you puncture he tube you have to break it down and patch it. What is the purpose of tubes in new tires ? If the new tire is leaking the shop will make it good.

And some folks don't want to spend  $200. on tires they cant afford,or just don't need,if an inexpensive and easy fix will do.

• Like 1

Coadster32

I see Jason's point totally but....like most, I am assuming there's no nail stuck in the tire, as we assume the owner has looked closely for that already. Yes, I agree that a nail would pop a new tube. However a tube would solve a valve stem issue, bead leak issue, and an old cracked tire issue. All without the future mess. I side with tubes 100% IF there's no obvious issue. (we all  know what assuming does) :hide:

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

Jack Fate

ok , one other thing that "MAY" work if it is a puncture such as a thorn ,nail or screw you can plug it from the outside . A plug kit from Wal-Mart about $10 .

downside is plugs & tubes don't work (at least for me)  I'm not saying not to use tubes just that plugs work with tubeless tires,tubes not so much

I don't believe their are absolutes on  all tire fixes  I have about a 100 pneumatic tires ,done small to split rims .Fixed them for a living (glad that chapter is over0

GOOD LUCK & GOOD LEARNING

Digger 66

Clean up the inside of the rim and use  bead sealer.

X - 2 ^ 

Tim

if you have  multiple tractors and other small stuff, buy a tire changer from Harbor freight, then put a tube in it

http://www.harborfreight.com/mini-tire-changer-34552.html

works great for garden tractors,

if this is a one shot deal then pay (or hope they don't charge you) to have a tube put in.

• Like 1

oaktown1987

plug or patch them

608KEB

This is ironic. About 2 weeks ago the original front tire on my B-80 was punctured while plowing snow. I bought a tire plug kit, and repaired the tire. Cross my fingers. I plowed yesterday, checked the air pressure and it's all good. Time will tell.

Edited by 608KEB

Fishroe

I put tubes in my 414-8. 23-8.50-12. Bought them at Agri-supply for $10.00 a piece. Took tires and tubes to Walmart. Caught them at a slack time and the guy put them in for free. I did give him something for helping me out. When the guy breaks the tire down you can inspect wheel for burrs, bent, etc. good luck

SAM58

As messy as the slim is, it will actually keep the rim from rusting if it is in good shape when you put it in.

I bought a 1968 8hp, one back rim had been slimed (fix a flat), and the other not.

the slimed rim still had most of the original paint on it. It had the old Fix-a-flat in it I would say...

Machria

So, where do you get Tubes for these oddball sized tractor tires?     My GT-14 in particular....

can whlvr

I have used slime lots,put in many tubes,its a gamble anyway you do it with old tires,ive opened up tires with tubes and had rim rust too,ive also opened up one tire om my 308 that I slimed years before and no rust,yes new is the best option,but if you cant afford it,tubes are good sometimes,but sometimes slime is ok too,gets you by and its easy,ive wrecked side walls trying to break the bead and had to buy new then,i was wishing I slimed that day,so its up to you to decide what works for you.as for tube install it can be easy,and it can be really hard,i use a large c clamp to break the bead,it allways get them with a little help sometimes and soapy water,there,s a thread somewhere that a member made a bead breaker that uses the trailer hitch and a simple bar that pivoted,its good to learn how to do it

SNYFIX

So, where do you get Tubes for these oddball sized tractor tires?     My GT-14 in particular....

Interesting point. We have used tubes that are 'close' in size many times. After all, they blow up like a doughnut inside the tire and as long as the center is inflated the sides will go along for the ride so to speak. After all, your Horse only tops out at 7 MPH !!

Jack Fate

One last thing to add to this thread . It's good to find a good tire guy/shop that deals in all tires (ag type to) . I recently had all my 42 yr old WH tries changed over to refurbished wheels & new tubes . they had & sold me the correct tubes for less than TSC or Rural King . They did a fine job , even putting rim sealant on ? And didn't tear up the paint. I now have tire guy ( again) : )

Cheers

• Like 1

alswagg

Please don't take this wrong but, what would you do if your car had a consistent tire leak? Take the tire and wheel off and take them to a reputable tire shop. Have them checked if tubes are acceptable then tube if not replace with new.

Jack Fate

I don't believe you can tube a radial car tire . You also may have added the tire sensor/valve into the equation. The valve and sensor are 2 pcs so this must ( not all are 2pcs )

be looked at .It seems that there have been a rash of bead to rim leaks as of late . I'd change /check valve clean rim and remount with a good bead sealant applied. That' is if no other problems are found.

My brother has had a lot of leaks on 2 of his Hondas. Try to find someone who cares about doing a good job

I know they are hard to come by

Good luck

ericj

they do make radial tubes. but the alloy wheels can cause leak also take the car or the wheel which ever to a tire shop and have them put the tire and wheel in the water tank and see if they can find a leak and then have them put sealer on the beads if they don't find anything else.

eric j