JamesC-120

Kohler k301 oil consumption

JamesC-120

I have a kohler k301 and it was burning oil and had piston slap and I was wondering if the only way it can be burning oil is through the rings or if it could be coming form the valve shafts not sealing.

Thanks

rmaynard

The answer is yes, oil can be burned through the valve guides.

JamesC-120

What is the correct way of fixing them?

Thanks

rmaynard

Remove the valves and have the guides measured at a machine shop. If they are worn, the machine shop can install new ones.

WH nut

If its got piston slap most of the oil is coming through the rings

Fordiesel69

Valves will leak a little, and will not usually smoke blue unless idled then throttled up quick.  However if you have piston slap, it need to be addressed.  If you are lucky to have a STD bore, and not stamping on the piston, you may get lucky buying a .003 over piston and ring set.  If you have a machine shop however, it really is worth it to pay and have it bored over to the next size so the cylinder is round again.

shorts

If you can hear the piston slap It's either got a damaged piston or it needs to be bored over and a new piston installed, pull the head and measure the bore if it's out of spec for a standard piston plan on a complete rebuild, bore, hone, new rod, new valve guides, new piston and rings, grind the valves and seats and possibly grind the crank, all new gaskets etc

richmondred01

I agree with Shorts. Time for a tear down and rebuild.

Fordiesel69

James, what have you found out.  Curious to hear back on this one.

Edited by Fordiesel69

illinilefttackle

I have a kohler k301 and it was burning oil and had piston slap and I was wondering if the only way it can be burning oil is through the rings or if it could be coming form the valve shafts not sealing.

Thanks

James- The answer is both. I had a K301as doing the same thing in my C125A when I bought it. I used it for a year or two-then tore it down and took it to a machine shop-ended up doing a complete rebuild-the gain power was amazing! And no more 1qt of oil every 2 hours on running. If you do the assembly yourself-it can be very reasonable in price.

Photo003.jpg

Photo005.jpg

Photo011.jpg

Photo019-1.jpg

Photo022.jpg

Edited by illinilefttackle

JamesC-120

Thanks for all the help, I am going to have it bored Saturday and have new valve guides put in and get the crank turned and mill the head.

Then buy new piston, rings, have rod inserts made, new guides, gaskets and hopefully that does it.

Thanks again for all the help

richmondred01

That will do it. All the best

rmaynard

Thanks for all the help, I am going to have it bored Saturday and have new valve guides put in and get the crank turned and mill the head.

Then buy new piston, rings, have rod inserts made, new guides, gaskets and hopefully that does it.

Thanks again for all the help

A word of advice. Buy the piston and rings ahead of time to take with you to the machine shop. That way he can measure as he goes and match the bore to the new piston.

JamesC-120

How an I going to know what piston to buy if I don't know how much it needs to be bored?

Thanks

Fordiesel69

Whatever is in there now, go up one size.  If STD, go 010.  If .010 go .020

Unless ran out of oil with deep scores, gouges, you can get away with the next size.

Word of advice, spend the little extra for Mahle Style "D" piston, and the narrow rod.

JamesC-120

I'm not replacing the rod I am having a bearing put in it for $15, I have had them before and are awesome and give you extra compression with 20 thousands pop out.

What is the advantage of the Mahle Style "D" piston?

Thanks

Fordiesel69

Better oil contol, rings overall seal better. Stronger wristpin area.

rmaynard

How an I going to know what piston to buy if I don't know how much it needs to be bored?

Thanks

You have the cylinder measured first. That is how you determine what piston you need. Any self-respecting machine shop won't bore a cylinder without having the new piston on hand.

The machinist will measure the cylinder, tell you that you need a .010, or .020 over piston. Then based on the exact measurements of your new piston, he will bore the cylinder until there is the proper clearance. Not every piston is exactly the same as the next, especially if you are using after-market.

Edited by rmaynard

MaineDad

Please take Bob's advice. He's absolutely right...

WH nut

I would also go with a new rod. I have seen old one break on a fresh rebuild.

JamesC-120

Its to late to replace the rod because I already order the bearing insert.

Thanks for all the help

Fordiesel69

You can have the new rod also milled for the bearing insert.  No big deal there.  A burnt rod, or one that is loose / scored could break.

Measuring the cyl at the shop is definatly better, but I have never had to go more then one size, unless it was scored up bad.

JamesC-120

Thanks for all the help guys!