Sign in to follow this  
Brian1045

Yet another new member

Brian1045

Hello all,

I have visted this site for awhile now and finally decided to join. This is a very good WH site and congrats on making it so friendly.

My WH is supposed to be a 1964. I was wondering how you can tell the difference between a 64' and a 65'.

Within the next couple years I plan to restore her to the best that I can.

My Grandfather purchased this tractor new in 1965 I believe. My mother is suppose to have the original receipt. I will be checking into that promptly.

I've been riding/mowing on this thing since I was 6 months old. My mother was 13 or so when he bought it.

I've had it in my garage since 1993 after he passed away. I've only put 4 or 5 hrs. on it since then.

Here are my plans: The 10hp Kohler will be rebuilt from the crank up by a local certified Kohler tech. I have a friend that works at a power coating company locally, so the Rims will be sand blasted and powder coated there. I will be painting her with an automotive gun myself. I am concerend with painting and heat though. I understand I'll have to use heat paint on the engine, but I'm concerned if the frame rails or other areas around the engine may get to hot for an automotive paint.

I look forward to getting to know most of you forum admins, regulars, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help provided to me. Ill try to post pics, if I can figure it out how to do so. :banghead:

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-3-1220285761.jpg

Duff

Hello. Brian, and :USA: !

You're tractor looks like a fine candidate for restoration, and with the family history it's obvious you've got real affection for the machine! I'm sure one of our resident painting gurus will be along shortly to advise on paint and where temperature makes a difference, so I'll defer to those in the know on such matters.

Just wanted to welcome you aboard, and please keep the questions, progress reports and pictures coming!

Best wishes,

Duff :banghead:

MaineDad

Welcome Brian - not a paint expert so I'll let the other guys answer that one.

Nice to keep that Horse in the family!

jusjeepn

Welcome! :banghead: Your tractor is a 65. Great looking tractor. 1045 are really cool and actually pretty rare! Once a gain welcome!!!!

bell

:USA: Nice tractor :banghead: Good luck with the resto!

pond195520032003

:omg: Brian, nice tractor and always good to have something in the family :horseplay: :USA: the difference between the 64 and 65. the 64 tractors have round hoods and some have an aluminum gas tank that the steering shaft runs through! they also have round fenders and the shorter(in length) dash stand! and the short guard on the left! the 65 tractors have the square hood(Gas tank under neath) and dash(like yours) (except lawn ranger whitch still has the round hood untill 68 i think?) but also have the longer dash stand and a fender pan(goes out over top of tires)! hope this helps some, but someone else will be by to add to this :banghead:

Brian1045

Thanks for the warm welcome and quick responses!

:banghead:

I'll post some more things later

Teddy da Bear

:banghead: Brian.

So glad you could join us.

Looks like you did a real good job posting pictures...lol

I paint cars. If you want an automotive look....contact me.

Otherwise there are other painters here to help you.

Wow.....I thought the 1045 was a somewhat of a rare tractor.

There seems to be a lot of them showing up here lately.....lol

BPjunk

Brian,

The Wheel Horse model 1045 was made from August to October 1964 of which a total of 1,100 units were manufactured. This was a cross over model from the round hood to the square hood type, the 1045 used the older round hood rear fenders and the new type square hood. What ever you do ....... do not replace the front tires as there are quite hard to obtain. As for engine paint I use Ford red engine paint then repaint the engine with International Harvestor red the same as the rest of the tractor. I think Valdspar IH red finish paint looks real close.

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

Duff

Wow.....I thought the 1045 was a somewhat of a rare tractor.

There seems to be a lot of them showing up here lately.....lol

....just shows that RedSquare collectors have good taste. :banghead:

RedSquare - where those who rate congregate! :omg:

Duff :USA: