shallowwatersailor

Shear Bolts/Pins on Snowblowers

shallowwatersailor

After not using my walk-behind snowblower the past two winters, I decided that this year :handgestures-fingerscrossed: it just has to snow! Sunday I went through prepping it, including starting it for the first time in two years. Wow, do those Tecumseh L-Heads make noise! One of the things I always check are the shear pins. I pull them to make sure the auger hasn't rusted to the shaft, and then coat them with anti-seize. One was difficult to get out (left side) and now I know why. It hadn't broken but it was sure weakened. The new replacement is on the right. Check yours if you have a chance.

DSCF9330_zps51de8222.jpg

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1

squonk

I had a big honkin blower on a little 210-H with no shear pins. Launched a chunk of 2x4 through it!

rmaynard

I got tired of the shear pins breaking on my 24" walk-behind from heavy, wet snow, so I replaced them with grade 8 bolts and nuts. No problems since.

oldredrider

GREAT!!! Now that you fixed your snowblower, it will never snow!

I'm gonna put my mower deck back on!

KATO

I use 5/16 stainless bolts for shear pins on mine.they don't shear at the drop of a hat

and they do shear when you suck up some nasty stuff...haven't damaged anything YET :hide:

AMC RULES

You definitely don't want them to not shear.   :scared-eek: 

eb in oregon

You definitely don't want them to not shear.   :scared-eek: 

Abso-freaking-lutely. Sometimes people forget that those pins are marginal on purpose. Humm, what's more expensive? Six or so shear bolts or the auger, drive shaft and other parts of the snow blower? I don't begrudge a few bucks and a few minutes replacing parts like that. I've seen the results of people "beefing up" things because they thought the original was "too weak." That costs a heck of a lot more in the end.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

I think that the last time that I used my snowblower, I picked up a newspaper. It didn't seem to make a difference in performance so I let it go. Stainless bolts are a bit lighter in tensile strength than a standard bolt and won't rust so they are a nice alternative. Brass bolts would be more expensive - but weaker yet. I paid less than a buck a piece for eight replacements with nuts so at the rate I use them, I should be good for 16 years. :)

The main thing is that nothing gets frozen due to rust which is why I pull them; the same thing with wheels and axle shafts. Snowblowers are definitely used in a wet environment.