rhumme

c145 smokes bad on startup

rhumme

im new here i just bought a 1980 c145 and it runs and sounds good but it smokes bad on startup for a few minutes and i was wondering if it could be valve seals?

Fordiesel69

Valve seals..............ha!!! No such thing on a kohler K or Magnum.

You will need to smell the ex fumes, you can definatly tell if it is oil. 

As these engines age and the carbs no longer work as good, you will get a nice puff of grey from the over choke.  Later engines has half choke plate or some with hole in them to prevent this.  They still smoke though. 

rmaynard

Since the Kohler K-series engines don't have valve seals, the problem could be worn rings or valve guides. If the smoking stops after the engine gets hot, I would be inclined to think that it is the rings.

Oh, forgive me for not saying  :WRS:

Edited by rmaynard

rhumme

does anyone has a ballpark price on what a rebuild would cost?

Fordiesel69

300-900 depending in what it needs, or who does the labor.

If greater than 900, it would be wise to tackle yourself.

Our local rip off shops want 1500 to 1900 to do a M12 which is similar to yours be 2 HP less.

If I do the labor myself, a local machine shop charges 60 for a crank turn, and 30 for a cylinder bore, the rest is on me.

I will say if you decide to do a rebuild, look at the tractor and determine if you want to do it cheap or good.  If you do it good with kohler parts, style D piston, crank turn, valve job, etc, the engine will last forever if maintained.

rmaynard

That's a tough call. Every rebuild is different, because everyone doesn't use the same machine shop to do the machine work. Some guys do their own work, some have to depend on others to do the work for them. How much of the work can you do yourself is another factor. What parts are being replaced? Are you going to use Kohler parts or after-market?

I have rebuilt several Kohlers and the cost was as little as about $200.00, and as high as $650.00. Others have paid more, others less.

The big factor is finding out what the engine needs, pricing parts, and finding a reasonable machine shop to do the necessary machine work.