groundhog47

8 speed, 8 pinion, 5/8" input and brake shaft

groundhog47

Similar to a 5091 Trans from my sparse knowledge, how do you best remove the needle bearings from the two gears that ride on the input shaft and holds 1st/2nd and 3rd gears (appear to be WH part #1518, needle bearings)  and needle bearings in reduction gear (??7207). Numbers may be inside or erroded away. Any help appreciated. Screwdrivers point to gears mentioned.

I know 1st/2nd reversed as may be the one the reduction slider works on. Just quickly threw back together!!

post-8388-0-64049600-1386111331_thumb.jp

Edited by groundhog47

stevasaurus

Gerry...I sent you a PM...:)

sorekiwi

That bearing can be a ***** to remove.  The way to attack it is similar to removing the pilot bearing in the center of a flywheel in an automotive clutch.

First attempt - I pack the bearing and the recess with grease and insert a close fitting piece of round bar which I hit with a hammer in an attempt to "hydraulic" the bearing out.  This has often worked for me.

Second attempt - An expanding mandrel on a slide hammer, similar to these ones:  http://www.harborfreight.com/blind-hole-bearing-puller-95987.html

Last resort - remove the needles and attempt to collapse the bearing shell with a punch/screwdriver etc (all the time being careful not to damage the bore the bearing sits in).  If this is unsuccessful I'll grind the shell a little to weaken it enough to allow it to collapse.

stevasaurus

Mike's last resort...is usually the first thing for me... :)   saves time and always works.

• Like 1

groundhog47

Thanks guys for info, feel braver already. I mean they are already dead so I sure can't kill them any worse, Ha!

• Like 1