Rideking

Suburban 400 transmission?

Rideking

Looking over my new suburban 400 today I noticed that when I roll the tractor around in gear without a drive belt on (no engine on the tractor) the input shaft doesn't turn. I then tried turning the input shaft by hand and saw that with it in gear that the brake drum turned but not the wheels? I can feel a difference in resistance as i shift through the gears and turn the input but the wheels never move. Any ideas?

zanepetty

I would split the trans and look at it. I've only built the trans off my 753. There are guys on here that know more than me, but it sound like a problem that can't be fixed externally to me.

stevasaurus

You have the WH # 5010 transmission...what we call the 3 piece trans (casting with 2 side plates).  A weak spot in those transmissions is the teeth on the bull gear and the teeth on the mushroom gear where the 2 mesh..  Jack up the rear end, and in neutral, turn one of the wheels.  If the other wheel turns in the opposite direction, the pinions and axle gears should be OK and it almost has to be the teeth broken off as stated above. It is fixable, but you will need a couple of parts.  I would tear it down, rather then trying to find a used trans...you could end up buying one with the same problems. :eusa-think:   Here is a video of how your transmission works, so you will know what to look for...There is also a couple short videos showing and explaining the different differential housings, bull gears and mushroom gears in this thread...

Edited by stevasaurus

Rideking

Thanks for the input guys, while on lunch break today I decided to jack up the rear end and to check the pinions as Stevasauras suggested. As I spun one of the tires I noticed the whole tire / wheel / hub moving rater freely on the axle shaft - and with a gentle pull the hole thing came off! So it appears that the previous owner never got around to installing the woodruff keys nor tightening the hubs on the axle! Now when I spin the input shaft I can easily see the axles turning - I'll pickup some woodruff keys on the way home from work tonight! 

stevasaurus

You lucked out...that is a simple fix.  I can't believe how many times it turns out to be those keys...or lack there of.  It is usually the 58/59 RJs that have the issue that I was talking about.  Good thing you jacked up the rear end. :)

zanepetty

So you're not having to split the trans? That's good.