Lars

One way to fix a axel whit bad keyway

Lars

Well i bougth a LXI for a while ago.. On the left side they had done som uppgrade on the hub whit 2 extra set screw's.. i thougt it was ok..  but i was driving it around i could notice that the wheel was (wobeling) a bit..

So i went back in the workshop to have a closer look at the fix they had done on it before.. the axel is 1-1/8

so ill started to pull the hub off.. it needed some fight to get it off but i won.. 20131128_234550_zps3dc61e66.jpg

and when ill got it of the axel was really bad... 20131129_000246_zps8f77a148.jpg and here are the hub 20131129_000838_zps4cc11fe6.jpg it was broken from before.. but you can se they have drilled it up and put a sleve innside the hub..20131129_000848_zps29f0c898.jpg

i have asked around whit a some "tranny guys" and they are not sure on the axel in this tranny is the same as older horses .. so i had to do something whit it.. to fix it now.. and let's se how long it works before ill need to change the axel...

so here is what ill did to fix it for now.. ill turned the axel 180 degrees and found a square keyway pice i had and marked the axel so i had some to cut after.. i tok my dremmel whit Cutting blade on and started..

20131129_232053_zps6ffdd88d.jpg have also did some filing whit a airtool on that pict..

almost done whit the new keyway 20131129_235756_zpsb675dc89.jpg

did a test whit a hub that was good..and it's fit just need to do some fine filing on it and it's ready ill guess..

20131130_001132_zps67ed3ef3.jpg20131130_002218_zpsa325df0b.jpg20131130_001158_zpsfa4764cd.jpg

last pict shows how long the new keyway is.. this is just a test hub yo see how it fit's  need to pull of a HD hub to put on this tractor

and to fix the axel on the old keyway im gona try to clean it up really good and use chemical metal to fill up the old broken keyway and file that to a so it follows the axel.. and ill hope it will work good for a long time...

Lars

Edited by Knusern
  • Like 6

Sparky

Very ambitious repair Lars. I bet it lasts along time and you never have to mess with it. Just keep checking that the set-screw is tight.

Well done!

Mike............

• Like 1

stevasaurus

WOW...Lars...that is major.  I think it will work for you...depending on what you are going to use the horse for..  Great pictures...if I was in the states...I would just get another axle.  :)

• Like 1

Anglo Traction

Very good repair Lars . that damaged keyway was major. As has  been said, I also sure hope it will hold up well.

If you need anyone to search for parts in UK , just say .     

• Like 2

meadowfield

Wow, good repair!

AMC RULES

Nice looking repair Lars...  :bow-blue: 

how you controled the depth of the cuts you made into the axle with the Dremel? 

JimD

Very nice work Lars, as usual. :)

• Like 1

Lars

Nice looking repair Lars...  :bow-blue: 

how you controled the depth of the cuts you made into the axle with the Dremel? 

well i used a hub and put it half on the axel then i took the new square keyway and put it in the hub"keyway" and marked the underside of it on the axel... then i had to take of littel by littel...

i used about 1,5-2 hrs to do it

buckrancher

well done Lars :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1

groundhog47

:bow-blue: Ambition and ingenuity, you are an inspiration! I'll bet it works for a long time!

I often wondered why a full flat key wasn't used.  

Not sure which LXI you have but the 520LXI axel 79-3340 shows crossing only to around that series/style/year group, probably something different on spline count or length. 

Edited by groundhog47
  • Like 1

Don1977

If the hub fits tight you won't have any more trouble out of that. I would add a another set screw at 90 degrees to the original.

Edited by Don1977

Marv

Ditto on Don's post.

Marvin