Ralph 283

help w/right side axle D180

Ralph 283

Hi Folks..

I have recently bought a D 180 for parts to use with my D160 that I've had for 7/8yrs..it came with house I bought from a friend. The front seal in the transmission leaked a little and not realizeing how expensive these hydrostatic transmission are to rebuild, I had it rebuilt and I darn near cried when I got the bill!!

Anyways..it sat in the garage for 5yrs as I couldn't figure out how it all went back together until I bought the D180. It has the 18hp Kohler motor, 3pt hitch and pto shaft..it was missing the axle shaft on the right side ( when sitting on tractor) and I don't see how they got the axle out without taking the rear end apart. the c-clip is still inside the rear end housing so I'm assumeing that I have to break the rear end housing in half to get it out so I can install the new axle. correct anyone?

The D180 had not been started in 6yrs, it took me about 40 minutes to get it running and it runs really good. I want to put an axle in it to see how good that hydrostatic transmission works. Anybody got one they would sell reasonable?

Thanks,

Ralph 283

racinfool40

yes you will have to split the trans to get at the Snap ring that goes on the axle..I would advise doing that before you run the tractor or the snap ring could cause alot more damage inside the differential...and I do have an extra D-series axle...If interested send me a PM..

Mike.

• Like 1

pfrederi

yes you will have to split the trans to get at the Snap ring that goes on the axle..I would advise doing that before you run the tractor or the snap ring could cause alot more damage inside the differential...and I do have an extra D-series axle...If interested send me a PM..

Mike.

Absolutely what Mike said do not run it!!!! until you have opened the tranny case and found the snap ring

Ralph 283

Thank you!!!

I wondered how previous owner had gotten the axle out without breaking the rear end in two pcs.. I hope there's not any damaged parts/gears, in there..

I don't have any heat in my garage yet so it'll have to wait till Sunday or Monday, as we have a little bit of a warm-up coming. If I unbolt it from the frame I can take it down cellar and open it up to have a look at it.. Current temp is 20 degrees w/wind chill at 7 degrees. Last winder I worked on a 1987 Honda TRX 250 that had been sitting outside for 8yrs and I got it running!!

I'm beginning to realize that I'm not 25 years old anymore!!

Ralph 283

P.S.. what is a PM?

Edited by Ralph 283

pfrederi

Thank you!!!

I wondered how previous owner had gotten the axle out without breaking the rear end in two pcs.. I hope there's not any damaged parts/gears, in there..

I don't have any heat in my garage yet so it'll have to wait till Sunday or Monday, as we have a little bit of a warm-up coming. If I unbolt it from the frame I can take it down cellar and open it up to have a look at it.. Current temp is 20 degrees w/wind chill at 7 degrees. Last winder I worked on a 1987 Honda TRX 250 that had been sitting outside for 8yrs and I got it running!!

I'm beginning to realize that I'm not 25 years old anymore!!

Ralph 283

P.S.. what is a PM?

Private message.  There is a small envelop icon at the top of the page here. Click on it and you can send a private message to MIke.

You can unbolt the transaxle from the frame but you will also have to disconnect the manifold that feeds the hydro motor.

If like me you aren't 25 anymore you will also find the unit is HEAVY!!!

It was 7 degrees here this morning.  Not a good day to work outside!