wheelhorse66

k181 question

wheelhorse66

when i replace the rings on my kohler k181 should i replace anything else?the motor runs like a champ it just smokes at low rpms

buckrancher

You may want to do a quick valve lap and clearance check since the motor is torn down that far

Brian

wheelhorse66

do i have to hone the cylinder wall to put rings in it

rmaynard

Without seeing it, I would say yes.

WH nut

I was told by an old timer that you should also replace the rod because it become brittle and the extra pressure from the new rings could cause it to break. Take it for what its worth, I didn't one time and ended up having to replace the rod after about 10 hours because it broke. Never did that again.

Edited by WH nut

buckrancher

do i have to hone the cylinder wall to put rings in it

yes or the new rings will not seat you should always hone a cylinder anytime you remove the piston and rings even if you are reinstalling the old ones

brian

oldblue1993

I was told by an old timer that you should also replace the rod because it become brittle and the extra pressure from the new rings could cause it to break. Take it for what its worth, I didn't one time and ended up having to replace the rod after about 10 hours because it broke. Never did that again.

Same thing happened to me, engine lasted only a few hours before i was in it again. "lesson learned,change rod"