kudzu3

I'm seeing red!

kudzu3

I'm at the stage in my project that I have to consider colors. Looking at the WH's, so much red just seems to overwhelm :eek: , and to me, just kinda takes away from the "niceness" of the machine. I have the engine painted black to break up the red a little and am considering a black frame, trans, maybe the grill, and underneath the seat pan and hood, and maybe everything else under the hood. My question; If I do this, will I be committing some kind of sin amongst the wheel horse crowd and be shunned, or will I still be accepted :bow-blue: ? Any body else ever do something like this, maybe some pics?

massey

It's your tractor, paint it how you like.  There are no wheel horse police.  Be sure to post pics of your progress and have fun. :laughing-rofl:

SousaKerry

To each his own, it is your machine do with it what you will.  There are many custom painted machines out there and many look very good, I only have one machine that I would consider a full nut and bolt restore and even it has a few changes here and there in reguards to paint.  Mostly parts that should be plated and not painted.

As long as you don't paint it Green and Yellow (or Maze and Blue) you'll get no guff from me.

Oh and even Wheel Horse went red and black for awhile in the 80's with the black hoods.  The early RJ's were red and black as well

Edited by SousaKerry

KATO

Customs are COOL :wwp::popcorn:

leeave96

There are a couple of cool looking Wheelhorses we see on the forum.  One has a white hood with red body and the other one that comes to mind is a black and silver combo that looks pretty sharp.

Good luck,

Bill

• Like 1

AMC RULES

I think all that red was meant to overwhelm...

the competition.    :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 1

Ken B

There is a guy here on Redsquare from the New England area who did the black frame deal on his 300 series Horse. I can't think of his name at the moment but his tractor looks pretty awesome I must say.

wrightorchid

I think there are a few pink ones out there too.

51Chevy

I agree make it your own I made one of mine my own and I like it for what it is if other people don't like it I don't care because I do.

post-11056-0-54207300-1385500185_thumb.j

post-11056-0-91762700-1385500206_thumb.j

• Like 1

speedyleedy

That is a really cool rat horse.. :thumbs:

Edited by speedyleedy

cruisnblue48

It only came from the factory with its original coat once. What you do with your tractor is entirely up to you. And quite frankly, the red and black color combination you are considering would really look nice. Go for it... and post pics please when you git er done.

Edited by wildfirepony

stevasaurus

You can also break up the RED with some pin stripping...my Dad did all his horses and attachments. :)

2008_0723roundhood70219620005.jpg

• Like 4

CasualObserver

I've always been a fan of this look done by a member way back in 2008... yeah... kind of a Massey Ferguson look... but I thought it toned down the red perfectly.  His offset color was Rustoleum Hammertone Brown

Member was "Smiley" Saguaro... hasn't been around for many years.

saguaro4.jpg

• Like 1

buckrancher

I prefer stainless and red myself :hide:

• Like 4

stevasaurus

Buckrancher's stainless is to die for...that is the TOP SHELF!!! :)   I do not know how you would top that...maybe gold leaf and Candy Apple Red...would love to see that next to each other. :eusa-think:   Brian's stainless and WH Red is the excellent combination of 2 colors that raises the bar.  The fact that he added a deck to that horse, this last year, made it a match made in Heaven...Absolutely Outstanding!!!  :)  In my opinion...it is "Best of Show" no matter where he shows it.

• Like 3

buckrancher

aww Steve your making me blush :oops:

thanks

Brian

• Like 1

kudzu3

As my restoration moves slowly forward, I'm discovering many things that need consideration, so what better place to get opinions and ideas than right here. My escutcheon plate is beyond repair and something is going to have to fill up that hole. I'm not crazy about the idea of replacing it with original stuff, so I would like to know what some of you have done. Any ideas (pictures) on what would look good here? My tractor will have black accents, so I'm leaning toward something black or stainless or aluminum. Ideas, suggestions, criticisms ? All welcome. Thanks

AMC RULES

I've seen aluminum diamond plate, buffed to a high luster, used before.