MalMac

Kohler Fuel Pump

MalMac

I ran into a problem today that I myself can not ever remembering having. On one of K series with a new plastic fuel pump, the pump seems to be drawing in fuel but nothing comes out not even any pressure at all. In the past when I have had pump go bad they just quit pumping altogether. This seems to want to draw in but nothing out.

squonk

If the fuel level in the tank is high enough it will gravity feed through it. Have you removed the lines and feel suction on one side and no pressure on thee other?

MalMac

Yes it's got some suction but not like it should have. I know these pumps are not that strong to begin with but I do think it's rather week. In combination with what you said about the gravity and the little suction it has that's how it's getting fuel to the pump. It was having trouble running at low rpm before this happend. I think the pump had something to do with it. Now it has gone a head a failed. Just never seen one draw a little bit with nothing exiting.

buckrancher

take the pump apart sounds like you have a piece of dirt or something stuck in one of the check valves

brian

victor3ranger

Make sure your fuel line dosen't have a pin hole in it somewhere. I ran into this lastnight on my K341, Found a hole in the line which was drawing air, fixed the line and it started working correctly again.

MalMac

Thanks for the suggestions guys, was using this tractor to pickup leaves but do to bad weather coming in I had to switch everything over to a garage queen to try and make a dent in the leaves before rain and snow sets in. I'll get back to this tractor when the crunch time lets up.

rmaynard

Usually those plastic ones are easy to fix since they don't corrode on the inside like the aluminum ones. I would be inclined to agree with Brian that you may have a piece of debris holding open one of the little check valves. However, having said that, I hope that your plastic pump was manufactured using materials that are not affected by E10 gasoline, unlike all the black plastic parts on my Stihl chainsaw and Echo leaf blower.

Wheel-N-It

From personal experience I know you MAY have the wrong fuel pump on it. After purchasing the C125 that is listed below, it was having the same problem. Was not expecting it to be the fuel pump as it was replaced about a week before I bought the tractor. So after cleaning the fuel tank and screen, and replacing the fuel hose and filter with no improvement, I then removed the fuel pump and discovered it had the wrong bend in the lever that runs against the camshaft.

I replaced that fuel pump with one from NAPA. The part number is 7-08011. Fuel delivery problem solved.

MalMac

Wheel-N-it, like you this is a new pump. I am going to pull it off today, I am sure it's the right pump but you never know. I have been known to make mistakes before.

tractorbeast

I agree with the majority. I good "Carefull" cleaning of the plastic pump did wonders for mine. It looked like jello, jelly junk inside. I used all the parts and gaskets over again. No problem. Works fine for 2 years now. Must be made in USA.

Wheel-N-It

Wheel-N-it, like you this is a new pump. I am going to pull it off today, I am sure it's the right pump but you never know. I have been known to make mistakes before.

I see you are online. What did you find out?

MalMac

Wheel-N-It, Have not had time to mess with it. Just shoved it into the dead line and got a different tractor going. I had 3 tractors go down within a hour of each other. Don't know if the planets were out of sink or some gremlin decided to take up company with Murphy and expand his law or what. After this holiday and we get through are lake effect snow dumping I will get back after it.

• Like 1