Charger12Custom

Adding hydro lift?

Charger12Custom

I know I need a spring and cone for this. I have a 68 charger 12 and I know it has a sundstrand, what exactly to I need to have a hydro lift (with down pressure if possible)? Hoses valves cylinder? Will any valve control work? Or would I need one specific to the tractor. Need to know where to look for all the stuff! (EBay or new alternatives?)

Trouty56

Look for a cylinder from a 70's tractor.  Try to get the valve from the same tractor.....as far as the hoses go that depends on which valve.  The Charger has a hose that starts from the back and a later model sundstrand tranny doesn't......

post-1933-0-65420500-1336224260_thumb.jp

this is the tranny you have on the charger......

post-1933-13364360011_thumb.jpg

post-1933-133643602703_thumb.jpg

This valve is what would have been on the charger.....possibly find a set with the valve and hoses.....if you use a valve from a c series....the hoses to the cylinder are the same but the connections to the tranny at the valve are orb 5 ..... your tranny has orb 4.....first find a cylinder and valve...then we will see what hoses you need.....

Edited by Trouty56
  • Like 1

JimmyJam

I have a similar situation! I have a Electro 12 with a Sundtrand tranny, that was "plugged" (no hydro lift and) with large bolts! The tranny doesn't move!!! So do I get another trannyDo I need to purchase the hydro lift to correct problem???? What do I need to correct??

squonk

Most tractor repair places will have the orb 4. Or 5 end adapters or can get them. Either straight or angled . The other end of it will be a flare end. They can then make the hose with common flare ends. I did this on a GT-14 that had a leaking 90 deg fitting. It's not stock but it worked great and it allows you to mix and match trans. with other clys. or valves.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

Trouty56

I have a similar situation! I have a Electro 12 with a Sundtrand tranny, that was "plugged" (no hydro lift and) with large bolts! The tranny doesn't move!!! So do I get another trannyDo I need to purchase the hydro lift to correct problem???? What do I need to correct??

Possibly the bolts are the plugs from the tranny that has the lift cylinder, cone/spring, valve and hoses.  I took the lift stuff from an electra for my charger and there were plugs in the tranny where the hoses went....like 3/4 inch plugs.........if it doesn't move maybe the bypass is open....but maybe you already have tried that.....

JimmyJam

No. Hydro's are foreign to me. This is my first one! The 1968 Electro 12. I bought it not running (not moving...engine runs!)

JimmyJam

...Although I can physically push the tractor around as if it were in "neutral".

Trouty56

In the 2nd post look at the first picture.....see the adapter at the top in the middle....right behind it is a valve....on yours turn it 180 degrees and try to push the tractor...if it doesn't push easily try to drive it....

Edited by Trouty56

chevyaddict83

Jimmy. You should have a tow valve on it. Spray it with some pb blaster, they are usually frozen. Then give it a twist.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

JimmyJam

In the 2nd post look at the first picture.....see the adapter at the top in the middle....right behind it is a valve....on yours turn it 180 degrees and try to push the tractor...if it doesn't push easily try to drive it....

My "Tow" lever is in the same position as the pic posted. Unfortunately my Electro 12 was cobbled together by PO (no lift kit, tractor wired w/ telephone-house wire) and I am in the process of re-wiring and cleaning "contacts/grounds".

Secondly: The hydro filter: I went to TSC and their Fram filter book recommends their PH-16 for Electro 12 tranny filter. Someone on an another forumn told me NOT to use that filter because I would ruin the tranny! ...and they suggested TO USE OEM stock or NAPA 1610 Now I really confused!!!

chevyaddict83

Stick with the napa one or wix. I use the wix.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

squonk

Jim the Napa # is 1410 not 1610 . Napa filters are Wix

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

Trouty56

My "Tow" lever is in the same position as the pic posted. Unfortunately my Electro 12 was cobbled together by PO (no lift kit, tractor wired w/ telephone-house wire) and I am in the process of re-wiring and cleaning "contacts/grounds".

Secondly: The hydro filter: I went to TSC and their Fram filter book recommends their PH-16 for Electro 12 tranny filter. Someone on an another forumn told me NOT to use that filter because I would ruin the tranny! ...and they suggested TO USE OEM stock or NAPA 1610 Now I really confused!!!

Turn the lever anyway....mine is backwards.....  Napa 1410...like squonk said....

• Like 1

Charger12Custom

Do they make 3 way fitting for hydraulic hoses that fit the tranny? Considering running a 3pt in the rear and if I could run an additional cylinder and valve for the rear lift independent of the mid lift. The rear lift would be an addition after I fab up a cat0 3pt for it. But itd be easier than running an additional pump or using the slot hitch with a t bar to lift with the lower link arms

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

squonk

Get the proper o ring thread to male pipe thread adapter for the trans. Then plump a pipe thread tee into that and go from there.

• Like 1

Trouty56

Use a D series valve set.....