bigblock352

1054 rolls only a few feet and locks up

bigblock352

I am looking at buying a 1965 1054. Overall its in ok shape. My concern is the transmission. It will roll a few feet in any gear. Even in neutral. Then it locks. You can roll it back the same distance and locks again. I've been doing some reading but haven't found this type of issue.

So my question is what does it sound like could be wrong and are these trannys pricey to fix? I don't want to drop 300-400 into it, but if you all think its something easy like a pin came out or something that buying price of 200 is worth it.

stevasaurus

It is definitely fixable.  I just love trying to guess what is wrong with transmissions in a thread like this...really.  My guess is the differential...either a pinion, or an axle gear on the axle, or both.  All it takes to get what you have is a small piece of something stuck in the bottom of a pinion or an axle gear.  It will stop the transmission in that spot when those 2 gears mesh, and it will roll until that spot hits again, in the other direction.  You do not want to force it...it could be a piece of rust, but it could be a chipped tooth.  You will have to split the transmission to fix it.  The cost to fix depends on what is wrong...if just rust, the cost of a gasket ($6)...if chipped teeth, racinfool40 (Mike) has good used gears for sale for a great price....if you have to replace a bearing and seals, the cost goes up.  At the worst of what you find, you should be under $100, but you would have a transmission that will last another 40 years...if taken care of. :)

BTW...Welcome to Red Square!!

WE have plenty of pictures and some videos of tearing down a trans and putting it back together.  It is an easy job with these tutorials.  All the bearings and seals and gears are available, and we will help you and walk you through the process.  Is the horse worth it???  Hard to say with out some pictures (we love pictures), but for $200 or if you can get it for less (because of the trans) and the engine is in good shape...it could be well worth it.  Let us know what you think. :eusa-think:

• Like 1

racinfool40

As Steve said it can be fixed...the 953-1054 used the bevel gear style differential they are known to be a weak link...only way to tell is to pull it and split the trans....I do have a spare bevel gear differential if you would need it and all the other parts necessary...

MIKE.

• Like 1

bigblock352

Thanks for the replys. I know desktop diagnosing sucks. Just looking for ideas. I think I will get it. 200 is his bottom dollar. I walked him down because of the trans. I have experience with cars just wasn't to sure how these worked. Looking at the pics and videos here I find it looks to be the same just smaller. I will post some pics when I pick it up tomorrow.

Thanks!

• Like 1

woodchuckfarmer

Im thinking you've got a broken differential bolt that is stuck between the gear and case....its fixable..good luck

• Like 2

stevasaurus

As you can see, bigblock, we have been around the block and like to guess what is wrong...hope you pick this up and tear it down.  Inquiring minds want to know.  No matter who guesses right, you should not be over $100...or not by much to just fix what is wrong... :)   Please post pictures of the horse if you pick it up...all sides.  Thanks

Edited by stevasaurus

bigblock352

I will. I am looking forward to it. My father in law has a 1964 854. My 2 year old son LOVES it. We are getting our first house and well, I need a mower. This comes with the cutting deck and a plow. So I figured hey why not. It'll be the coolest lawn mower in the neighborhood!

bigblock352

BTW thank you for your service Stevasourus and Racinfool40

953 nut

:WRS:  I had the same problem with a 953. Turned out the PO had been in there and didn't tighten up one of th nuts on a differential bolt. Nut fell off, bolt slid part way out and locked it up.  Good luck and :wwp: 

:text-welcomeconfetti: 

• Like 1

sorekiwi

My guess would be the same as the others - something broken and jamming the trans from turning.

I'd be very careful moving the tractor though, it would be easy to smash your foreign object out through the bottom of the case.  This is a reasonably common occurrence on the D  Series tractors and I have had a 1276 here that had some welding repairs on the bottom of the case, from a broken differential bolt.

• Like 1

pacer

"This is a reasonably common occurrence on the D  Series tractors"

Yes, this exact thing happened to my D-180 some 20 years ago, a long 5/16" bolt broke while I cutting grass and looked down and oil was flooding out of the tranny. Made it down to the shop and saw the bottom of the case was pushed out right in the center of the 2 halves. On tear down found that the spider webbing cracks were still attached so figuring I didnt have much to lose, I started brazing --- amazingly it worked! I have a little bit of seepage with an occasional drip, but after 20+ years and a lot of use its still going. Oh, and the only thing I had to replace was the 5/16" bolt & nut.

• Like 1

bigblock352

I am hoping it will be something "simple" like that. I'm heading down after work today to grab it. :auto-biker:

clintonnut

If the bevel gear differental is shot, find an 8 pinion differential, cut C clip grooves in the splined ends of your axles and grind a bevel on the differential ring gear so it doesn't bind with the brake shaft. I did this to my 1054 and it was a great upgrade over the original. The 1054 used to roll about a foot back and forth in gear because the differential was shot.

• Like 1

bigblock352

Well I guess not. Called and told me he sold it to someone else who offered more money. :no:

stevasaurus

Man, that is a shame...I was thinking it was going to a good home...sorry. :bow-blue:

bigblock352

I'm on the lookout still! Wonder how much shipping would be on something like that.

953 nut

Sorry to hear you missed out on the 1054, :wh:  can be hard to come by in Florida. While I was living there I always had to go to New York State or Indiana to get them. I would tie the :wh: pick up in with trips to visit family. 

Shipping would probably set you back $800 to $1000. You may get lucky and find an independant trucker looking for a LTL (less than truck load). Fraightquote.com or uship.com are places you could go for prices. It will save a lot if you hace a loading dock available at both ends.

Good luck.

baerpath

Or ask on here.  I know of a couple guy's heading down for the winter If your really looking I can see if they'll haul one down.  My son's going to South Carolina and I know he could use some fuel money

• Like 1

HorseWhisperer

If it turns out to be the bevel gear differential I have a good one for ya!

bigblock352

Baerpath

I just have to find one

Edited by bigblock352