philharmonica

C-195

philharmonica

Hey Y'all. I just purchased a C-195, my first Wheel Horse, and have found this site in my quest for info.

I was takin' the backroads to buy a Fatboy for my 2-wheel Iron Horse stable and saw this beast of a garden tractor with a for sale sign on it. Since my Crapsman took a dump on me I was keeping my eyes open for a replacement. Well this looked like a candidate, (republican, of course) and after seein' the opposed-cylinder twin Kohler K19 and two hydraulic controls, etc, etc, I pretty much knew that it would soon be mine. The owner said he had just got a Zero Turn so he could maneuver around his trees easier and this old mower was just too much trouble. I made him an offer well under his asking price which he accepted and I loaded it on my trailer.

After getting it home and it passed the compression check, I could look at the fuel system to figure out why it needed to be choked to keep it running. I cleaned and adjusted the carb and installed a new fuel filter after I saw all the junk in it. It ran pretty good for an hour and then it started running rough. After cleaning the carb again, runs for an hour, dirty carb, clean again......I still have about an acre left to mow. Turns out the fuel pump was feeding the carb it's rotted diaphram, so I shelled out more than I wanted for a new one. So now my engine is running pretty good but when I get into tall grass my blades are slowing way down. An hour later I have determined that the PTO clutch shoes are worn out. Now comes the fun part.....This is an obsolete part?????? No longer stocked???? Ebay has some clutches and pads but they don't look like mine and shaft diameter doesn't match. One listing says his clutch will fit every Wheel Horse from late 70's to present.......I guess my C-195 is the exception. I'm used to using baling wire and duct tape for those pesky repairs but I don't think they'll work for this, but an old leather belt might. After scraping the old cracked and brittle pad material off I cut a piece of leather to fit and epoxied it in place. Next day I fired it up and mowed several acres. It didn't slip at all, but how long will it last? I found out last week and finished off the rest of that belt. I had mowed about 3 acres every week for about a month and a half.

My question to you Wheel Horse experts is where do I get PTO clutch parts to solve my problem?

Thanx for all of the great info on this site. I really am amazed at the production numbers of the C-195.

Phil

• Like 1

Raider12

I will be the first to say hello and welcome to site! :banghead::USA::omg:

As far as your quest for the pto part, I can not help you with. But Im sure that there are a few guy's here that will have some input after while. Stick around, you learn a bunch and have great time here as well.

Denver

pond195520032003

Phil, :thumbs: im not sure, but a lining from a D series might work :omg::lol::banghead: TT or a super C owner will be by shortly to answer your questions :USA:

Teddy da Bear

Yes Phil...... :banghead:

So glad you could join us.

Please keep in mind that most folks are occupied or out

of town this holiday weekend.

You might not get an answer until next week.

And as always.... :USA:

WH854

Howdy Phil :USA:

I did a little research on C-195 GTs. model# 01-19KE01 And 01-19KE02

If you go here you may be able to find out what you are looking for.

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro.Just put your

Model# in Hit search Hope this will help you! :horseplay:

Chas From BUtler Pa :banghead:

TT

:omg: , Phil!

Sad to say that the PTO clutch on the C-195 is unique to those models and uses a conical hub similar to the vertical shaft lawn tractors - except much larger. (which you have noticed) It's a much heavier design than the flat plate PTO clutch used on the "standard" garden tractors.

Toro still lists the P/N 109759 PTO pulley as being available (almost $200 though! :USA: ) but I'm not familiar enough with that arrangement to know where the friction lining is located. (The drive pulley on the engine is NLA)

A suggestion would be for you to contact a shop specializing in the relining of brake shoes, clutch discs, etc. and have them install new friction material to your original pulley. :banghead:

This is pretty popular in the realm of old car/truck restoration, and I think there used to be several companies listed in the Hemmings book that handled this type of material/service. (you can probably do a search for it online too.)

philharmonica

I thank everyone for their warm welcome and appreciate the replies to my PTO issues. I think TT has basically summed it up and the Toro Master Parts Viewer showed every PTO part except what I need. I don't understand why the clutch part that wears out is not available. Is this an oversight by Wheel Horse? I will probably look into getting some brake material which I also need for relining my 1969 BMW R60/2 drum brakes. The drum brake shoe material mounts with rivets while I will try using epoxy for the PTO job. Does anyone have experience with this job?

My property here in central Florida has dried up enough (after Tropical Storm Fay) to start cutting but I think it must have been fertilized with steroids. We are now getting some bands from Gustav passing over so I don't think I'll be cutting today. I could do the job with my '53 Ford Golden Jubilee and a 6" flail mower but with the soggy ground I would also do some major trenching. I do need to get some AG tires for it. In the meantime I guess I'll flip the mower deck over and sharpen the blades again.

Thanks again, Phil

Buzz

I don't understand why the clutch part that wears out is not available. Is this an oversight by Wheel Horse?

Not an oversight, just a good business decision. You figure the tractor is 24+ years old and the lining only fit one model that was only made a couple of years and probably wasn't one of it's most popular models. I can't imagine that they get a half dozen requests for it each year. That's just my thought on it. Hopefully you'll find something that works.

Tim T

1984 C-195 Wheel Horse, 01-19KE02

I'm in the exact same boat as philharmonica with respect to finding a PTO Clutch disc plate. I'm at the end of my adjustment and the clutch is beginning to slip again. I wonder what philharmonica (Phil) did to repair the clutch lining? I haven't disassemble the PTO yet but reading from above it sounds like the clutch is conical hub shaped and Wheel Horse did not make many (if any) replacement parts for it.

Is there anything new to add on this dilemma? Is the only solution to have the clutch hub relined by a shop that specializes in that?

Thanks

19richie66

Might try starting a new thread about your clutch dilemma. This thread is over 10 years old. Can’t help you with it but good luck. Someone is bound to come along with some info. :handgestures-thumbup: 

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 1

953 nut
9 hours ago, Tim T said:

only solution to have the clutch hub relined by a shop that specializes in that?

:WRS:               That would be your best solution. You could also contact A-Z Tractor http://a-ztractor.com/ to see if he had a good used one.

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

If you search around here, someone (actually several I think) have converted their C-195 conical clutch to the more typical flat circular clutch. I think its a pretty straight forward swap, but havent done it. Search around here and you will find it.

I will try to pull it up if I can.

• Like 2

DennisThornton

The last comment in this thread was:

Posted August 30, 2008

Skipper

Flat clutch disk is direct swap, but will not hold nearly as much torque. Not sure if it will be strong enough if you really push that big Kohler to the max with a d series tiller, 60" deck, or the likes. keep us updated on solution and outcome. 

• Like 1