Sign in to follow this  
MalMac

K321 Strange Happenings

MalMac

My C-145 auto has got a strange thing going on with the engine. When I start the tractor with the hydro disengaged the engine will carry on running ruff. It has a completely rebuilt carb on it. New jets, float, etc. everything except a new throttle bushing. Still seems tight to me. Now when I engage the transmission and put a little load on the motor it calms right down, smooths out and runs perfect. Without a pull on the motor it just starts acting up. Could not ask for a better running Kohler when it's got a load on it. It even gets hard to start without a load on it. Crazy and strange to me.

gwest_ca

Bad engine grounds?

Garry

MalMac

You know what you might have something there. It's got that shaker plate on it. Did not even think of that.

squonk

That engine moves around more than you think. When I was working on my C-145, engaging the PTO caused the flywheel screen to barely touch the shroud due to crankshaft end play I guess. But you can see the motor defect when engaging . If the carb is causing your problem, sounds like it's tad rich. Wonder if the float level is a bit high

WH nut

When you say runs rough? are you saying surging, missing ?

MalMac

Rough as in missing, stutter, hack cough,etc. no surging.

WH nut

Sounds like Carb adjustment

rmaynard

When you put the engine under load, the governor kicks in, opening the throttle. This seems to be your biggest clue. Check for air leaks. Throttle shaft, gaskets, loose bolts, etc. Pull the high speed needle again and check to be sure that a small bit of debris has not clogged any of the tiny holes in the tube.