Sign in to follow this  
Gunny

3 Spd 5053 what to do..

Gunny

Have the 1056 mostly disassembled, looking at transmission and found a cover, attached with 4 bolts on the drive side of the tranny.  Looking in the manual, looks like it houses an "after market retainer" for the brake shaft bearing.  Have not removed yet.  Bearing on both sides seem to be good, no up/down movement.    Tranny seems to be functioning, Shifts into all gears, bearings seem to be good, seals do need replaced.  In process of flushing the fluid.  Just checking to see if anyone has come across anything like this.  I am thinking I will leave in place.  Suggestions?

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j412/Dennis75957/033bf335-6865-4a03-8543-ff201e28b2b3_zps17968aa9.jpg

racinfool40

Hmmmmm...I have never seen that before..Just suppose to be a capped bearing there..Not sure why that plate and bolts are there unless the the hole for the bearing was bad and someone add the plate to keep the bearing from coming out...I would like to see what is under there...It is definitly not factory!!

stevasaurus

Dennis, I agree with Mike.  Some one went through some brain power to fabricate that.  If the inside seems OK, I would leave it alone.  The larger gear on your 11/44 toothed gear is right on the other side of that plate.  If that plate is 1/4", then those bolts can't be more then 1/2"...I don't think there is room for nuts on the other side...it is most likely tapped and not much metal holding those bolts in place.  Nuts on the other side would probably interfere with that gear.  Mike (above) probably has a spare case half to replace that if you have to...or want to. :)

• Like 1

Gunny

Thanks Mike and Steve  I was thinking that might be the case.  I am going to leave all as is at this point in time.  Tranny seems to be working well, so far.  Will flush out, install new seals and continue on. 

Never know what you will find on these East Texas horses, a lot of them seem to be "Aggie Engineered"! 

woodchuckfarmer

Im with Steve on this one. If it not broke don't mess with it....lol....Wayne