dparke

New RJ-58/9 basket case...

dparke

Well, after the members here helped me out so much with the rebuilding of my B-80 transmission, I thought I'd start another little project.  Well, this one might be a bit more than "little."  I bought this RJ off ebay and was able to pick it up locally.  Let's see here, it has one broken spindle, a chopped hood, two rotten front wheels, frozen/broken steering, frozen front axle pivot, some sort of homemade abomination of a plow, a cut and stretched frame, wrong motor, no gas tank, etc etc.

The good news is that I like it, and the transmission is just fine!  :)

I have a 4hp Tecumseh I'll put in it for the time being, and I welded up the front spindle today.  Hopefully I can get it moving under its own power in a few nights, but I'm really concerned about the front wheels.  Are they particularly tough to find, or do the same ones fit many models?

Here's a few pictures of my little gem:

20131027_150504_zps2c6b990b.jpg

20131027_150453_zps2c93bb28.jpg

20131027_150529_zps35e25f95.jpg

20131027_150531_zpsbbdb3612.jpg

Hey, at least this little guy makes my rusty D200 look like a real gem!  :laughing-rofl:

Thanks for looking!

-Dan

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Hey...you gotta start somewhere. 

You'll have it going in no time.   :)

russtiron

Hi Dan The steering was frozen on mine too.I used heat from a Mapp gas torch and Gibbs brand penetrating oil,it took time but it did work.I got the wheel to move about an eighth of a turn and then it wouldn`t go any further so I just let it sit for a couple of days and a few times a day turned the wheel and sprayed it down again.Then one day it just made half a turn and it was all down hill from there.  Don`t forget it has two steering shaft supports one on the hood support and one at the frame Good Luck!  Chuck 

953 nut

:woohoo:   You wanted a project, and by golley you found one. A trailer queen it isn't, but it isn't all that bad. Too bad the hood was cut up but at least they didn't cut the back off which is the case with a lot of them. As for the steering, I would take an oxy acetylene torch and heat everything red hot that should turn, while they are hot give them a liberal shot of PB Blaster, give them another shot as they cool. The stretched frame may be a good thing, having the engine a little further forward could give you greater operator comfort (they aren't called nut roasters for nothing) That snow plow has got to go, not a good thing! :twocents-twocents:  My RJ-58 had no front wheels when I picked it up so I used some from an 855, fit good and had the :wh:  logo too. :text-goodpost:  :text-coolphotos:  

dparke

855 front wheels fit, you say?  Hmm, that gives me something to work with.  Any ideas what other models will interchange on the front wheels?

Oh, and don't worry, that snow plow is now sitting on my scrap pile!

-Dan