Muel

Warning label

Muel

There really aught to be some kind of warning label when you enter this site.  Maybe even just a little pop up box that you have to acknowledge a warning about how contagious it can be.  A few days ago, I knew nothing about tractors.  I needed to buy a rider that I can mow and snow plow with for my new house.  So I looked on CL and saw what seemed to be a really good deal on a Huskee with a plow.  So I googled it to see what kind of problems they have.  This led me to forums discussing the best tractors for mowing and plowing, which in turn led me here.  All I wanted was an inexpensive, dependable rider that could do what I need it to do.  No offense to anyone, but to be honest, when I found this site and saw how many people had multiple tractors and how much time and money they put into them, I thought “These people are crazy.  Why would anyone put so much into a lawn mower and why would you want more than one??† Well, I have spent everyday since on this site and searching CL for a Wheel Horse.  I am infected!  And judging by you fine folks, clearly there is no anecdote.

I was surprised by how many Wheel Horses I found on CL, but there are two in particular that I am interested in, so I thought I would take it to the experts and get their advice.  Both are allegedly running, operating machines and both come with a plow.

The first appears to be a Raider 10 with a six speed.  They are asking $350.  It’s within an hour of me.  I called the guy, he said someone else already claimed it, but it’s been over a week and he hasn’t showed up.  He is going to call the guy to see if he is still coming for it, otherwise, it’s mine if I want it.

The other is a B100 with an 8 speed.  They are asking $500.  It’s more than two hours away.  I called and this one is available even though it has been on CL for over a month.

The B100’s seem to be very popular, but I wanted to get your opinions before I pay more and drive much further to get it.  Does the price seem to be fair?

Thanks for your input!!

-Sam

Edited by nylyon
Remove links to Craigslist
  • Like 2

rmaynard

WARNING! This hobby can be addictive.

Welcome to the madness. Do you know what accessories are with the B100? I think $500 is a bit high unless it is complete with deck, and possibly some other accessories. It also should be in very good condition.

My choice would be the B100, but I would only offer around $250 to start, add another $100 for a good deck.

Muel

Thanks Bob.  The B100 was my prefence as well.  It comes with a deck and a plow.  I included links to the CL posts, but apparently I'm not supposed to do that here.  Sorry about that.

It's got age appropriate surface rust, but looks pretty solid and complete.  He's asking $500.  With the deck and plow, I would be happy to settle at $450 for a running machine, but am willing to pay $500 if I have to.  I just want to make sure that seems reasonable before pulling the trigger on this.

I appreciate your input.

Sparky

:WRS:

A B-100 is a very capable machine and a great one to start out with.

Mike..........

rmaynard

Is that the one listed in Sugacreek? If so, it looks pretty solid. Run the engine, look for smoke, listen for knocks of taps or other unusual sounds. Look for oil leaks. Take a 5/8" open end wrench to remove the dipstick and check the oil. If it's low it could be an oil burner or the owner doesn't maintain it well. If the color is reasonably clear/clean, it could have had a recent oil change. If it is black, it's been neglected.  Check the transmission for leaking seals around the axles. Tires look pretty good. Check the cutting deck for rust holes. Engage the deck and listen for noises indicating bad spindles. Drive it and be sure all the gear work in both high and low range. 

Take cash, start low, settle where you are comfortable.

Good luck. The B-100 is one of my favorite models. I currently have three of them.

Muel

Thanks guys. Thats the advice Im looking for. Sounds like it will be the B100. Yes its the one in Sugar Creek. I will see if I can go out there today to check it out. I will report back later. Thanks again!!

AMC RULES

If it's still available, why not go look at the Raider too?  

GlenPettit

Be sure to ask for any paperwork and spare parts that may come with it.  

There may be a trailer, spreader or other implement you can 'bundle' along with the deal.

The Snow Plow needs a rear axle attachment (that may be on the tractor axle already), otherwise to buy one is another $40-50.

Welcome, and good luck, the B100 is a nice tractor.

Lane Ranger

Yes both good tractors to start with.  Goof website to stick with and good to have you as a member!

groundhog47

:WRS: Weii , I'm excited for you and haven't even seen the pictures. These fellows on here are so knowledgeable about all aspects of WH :wh: , it just amazes me (relatively new also). Good luck on your hunt!

953 nut

:WRS:   Since you know that :wh:  are addictive you may as well buy them both. :text-lol: 

When you get them :wwp: !

:text-welcomeconfetti: 

Muel

Since you know that :wh:  are addictive you may as well buy them both.

Hahaha, if only I had the money.  Then I'd have one for mowing and one for plowing.  Thanks for all the warm welcomes and input.

I called them today and will be heading there on Wednesday.  Hopefully everything checks out on it, but I'm hooked and will be bringing it home one way or another.  I can already see it with fresh paint and ag tires.

KC9KAS

:WRS:  You came to the right place!

As stated above....we will need photos of your tractor(s)!

Muel

Ask and you shall receive.  These are the pics from the listing online.  I will post more once I get it. 

00x0x_dNloB8Rql4f_600x450.jpg

00g0g_DOpJoJ0j2s_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

Amanda

Welcome to redsquare!!

Muel

Thanks AmandaRae. I must say its awesome to see a young woman so interested in this.

• Like 1

SousaKerry

From the pics it apears to be pretty solid. And all the major parts are there, it is missing the belt guards for the deck.  Make sure to check with the owner to see if he still has them hanging in the shed.  Wiring looks like it has been played with but they are very simple if problems arise.  Looks to have original muffler and seat, big pluses.

and

there is no cure I think we all need to start wearing Red Ribbons for Wheel Horse Addiction (WHA)  but then again that would mean I want to be cured.

Muel

Haha, thanks.  I will check about the belt guards.

Muel

I bought the B100, so I am now official!  Woohoo!

I started a thread in the Wheel Horse section with pictures:

Muel

Did I put the new thread in the right place?  Or should I have put it in the "Restorations, modifications and customizations" section?

can whlvr

Muel

Thanks Don!