Charger12Custom

1968 Charger 12 Build and Future Restoration Project

Charger12Custom

This thread is going to show my progress on customizing and restoring my 1968 Charger 12. For starters, here are a few pics of the tractor.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I am missing a seat. So I will be scouring eBay and craigslist for a seat, maybe a wheel horse seat or just a plain black seat, I don't known yet.. Future plans include a front hitch and mule drive, finding a deck, a cat 0 3pt hitch, and some sort of power lift.

Wheel Horse Kid

Looks like a good starting point! I had a Charger 12 and it was a nice tractor. Just to let you know though, you will have to do a good amount of modifications to do a 3 point as those tractors never came with one. You can do it, just will be alot of work. Maybe someone else will chime and say what all would need to be done. By the way, Welcome to RedSquare and looking forward to seeing your resto! :)

Charger12Custom

Alright so I'm wondering this.. I'm going to put an electric or hydraulic lift on this tractor, which never came with either. So I don't know whether or not to just put the k301 up in storage and get a newer vtwin opposed twin or something for the added power to run hydraulics, or to keep the k301 and put the cheater cam in it.. Suggestions? I'm really stuck between keeping the original motor and just repowering it.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

Martin

what makes you think the k301 wont be enough to power the hydraulics? theres many 12 hp kohlers out there with hydros that have hydraulic lift on them. standard oem engines as well.

just need to convert the hydro to run the hydraulic lift. you can use standard factory parts. minor internal parts are needed where the hoses hook to the trans but it should be an easy swap. plenty of info on this subject on the forum, just a bit of searching away.......

good luck on the build, looking forward to seeing your progress.....

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

Charger12Custom

Martin I'm more concerned of the pulling power to pull implements such as a tiller and box blade that are very heavy. Do you think it could handle a 290lb box blade 4ft wide? The one I have access too weighs about that and I don't want to buy a smaller one if I don't have to

bitten

I dont know if I missed it somewhere is the 12 HP that is in it any good? If it is you will be fine.

Charger12Custom

Yes it runs strong but may see a rebuild so I won't have to worry about it later on.

953 nut

:WRS:   My 953s both came with 9.6 HP and factory hydraulic lift and the greatest limiting factor is traction, not power. :text-coolphotos:  If you plan to hang 290 pounds on the back you will need some added weight on the front and pulling a four foot blade may require wheel weights and chains or duel tires on the rear.  :text-welcomeconfetti: 

Charger12Custom

So I did a little measuring for a 3pt today. Seems like if I put the lower lift arms along the same horizontal line as the hitch it will fit perfect.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The distance between The lower arms is 20" which is how wide the inside of my tires are. So the arms will have some bends in them. And the center link is 12" up from the bottom link so it looks pretty close to perfect if I space it out the back a little and put the lower links where the tongue is.. Just need to find mounting spots and I can start drawing up plans.. Any suggestions for mounting spots? I'm thinking the square part of the axle on the transmission would be a great bolt on place for the lower links..

Charger12Custom

Anyone know if a c series headlight assembly will fit on my charger? They look similar but wondering if I'll have to modify the lens and housing to work.. Meaning I'll have 2 extra lights and original lights on the front! There's some nice people on Facebook in the "Wheel Horse Garden Tractors and Parts" group. Got it for free as long as I pay shipping!

Charger12Custom

Posted Image

Anyone know what size sleeve goes between the crank and PTO? A part number or dimensions would be great. I have a way to cut the sleeve to length if I have to.

Also look at this! Posted Image

These rear tires are original!! Over 50 years old and still holding air