AKincer

520H

AKincer

I currently have a C125-8 and have used it for the last year to plow snow and mow my yard.  I rebuilt the carb after I bought it and it's been a good machine.  I understand the 8 speed is bullet proof and the Kohler engine is simple and easy to work on.  The only downside is that it would be a big advantage to have the hydro transmission.  I use this mower at a lake house that is irregularly shaped and has lots of obstacles to mow around.  Even in the open areas, 2nd gear is too slow and 3rd is too fast, so I have the sense that a hydro would be easier to use and would cut my mowing time.

I've found a local 520H that seems priced right($700).  It's obviously a big jump in terms of capability, but the hydro is pretty attractive.

I understand that the Onan is a solid motor if maintained correctly, but will suck a lot of gas. It's probabaly more tractor and more power than I need.

My C-125 really needs to have new rear tires.  They hold air, but they are pretty worn and if the grass is even a little wet, they slip a lot in my hilly yard.  Tires aren't cheap and by the time I put new tires on it, I could make a fair dent in purchase price of the 520H.

I really don't have the space to keep both tractors, so I would probably sell the C-125 if I buy the 520H.

A couple of questions:

Will the attachments interchange between the C-125 and the 520H?  This would allow me to mix and match to keep the best attachments.

Also, I'm looking for your opinions on whether the additional operating cost and complexity is worth the upgraded capability or does it make more sense to just stick with what I have?  The reality is that, it only take me about 1 hour to mow my yard now, so I might only save 15 minutes or so with the hydro.  Obvously, I would have a lot more power for plowing snow, but we only get deep snow a few times a year anyway.   A lot of you gusy would purchase to add to the herd.  I'm not planning on having a herd becasue I don't have the space so I'm just curious how you guys think about it when you are making a choice. 

zieg72

Yes all the attachments will go on the 520H.  If you have a rear lift take it off your C-125 before you sell it.  You will need a hydro cable tube but everything else is a plug and play.  Depending on the year of the 520H the snow plow may need what is called a completing kit which moves everything forward to clear the front tires if it has a forward swept axle.

AKincer

No lift on the C-125 so that's not an issue.

From the pictures, it would appear that it is not the swept front axle - I think that means that I will be limited to the 48 inch deck - is that correct?

Edited by AKincer

MalMac

The 520 is a good tractor lots of HP's, Your right the Onan does take way more care than your Kohler. I have both 520's and numerous C's. Other than the extra hp to run a 2 stage blower I really don't use the 520's all that much. They are a expensive tractor to run compared to the C's. If I were you I would hang on to that C-125 8 speed. The tractor you have is a very dependable tractor and a lot less headaches than the 520. If you want to cut your mowing time down you might consider a ZTR. I am sure others will chime in here and offer there opinion. Myself I don't see where your gaining anything other than more horse power and a lot more maintenance and operating cost. To me the operating cost vs what you might gain in a hydro just does not balance out enough to warrant a change.

546cowboy

I am a BIG 520 fan and they are great tractors. Nothing else compares to them but if it only takes you an hour to mow your lawn ( I assume you have a 42" deck ) and you don't plow that much snow, well it doesn't make much sense to change.

That said, I would be over there with the money before it's gone assuming it is in good shape. You won't believe how it feels to be on one of those tractors. Your neighbors will be envious as all get out. $700 sounds good but it all depends on condition. You could spend that money and end up putting much more into it to make it reliable.

• Like 1

Irv

I agree, stick with the C-125. You know what you have and it does what you need it to. The 520 sounds like a decent buy but you never know what you may get into with that Onan motor and it could be expensive. You can get tires reasonable on ebay or several tire companies, Miller tire, etc.

• Like 1

AKincer

Thanks guys for the replies.  I am having a hard time not buying it, but I think the logic you are offering is sound.

A ZTR would be a great way to go if I were only mowing.  I know that some can be set up to push snow, but I probably would have a lot of money in that before all was said and done.  I have a ZTR at my main house, but I have a short concrete driveway there and use a walkbehind snowblower, so no need to plow snow.

It seems like I might be buying a bucket of trouble for a small advantage and the C125 does everything I need.  I guess I will try to hold off for now, but this thing is pulling at me hard for some reason.

• Like 1

daveoman1966

The one reason it is 'pulling you hard' is......  HORSEPOWER! ! !

' nuff said.

• Like 1

cheesegrader

I love my 520's.

The hydro is a huge step up, and the extra horsepower is great.

It sucks gas, but over the course of a year, it is only a few extra gallons.

You would hate the 60" deck if you have a small yard with lots of obstacles,

so you don't need the forward swept axle, but...

The '91 and later models with the swept axle and gear reduction steering handle MUCH better than the older models.

I am not afraid of the Onan.  But I have had terrible problems with the electrical systems, which seem unnecessarily complex, and prone to shorts.

Drive a 520.  Then try to wipe the smile off your face!

leeave96

My vote would be to pass and wait for a later model 520H with the swept forward axle. That will give you a tighter turning radius and if a 1991 or later model, gear reduction steering. Add Matt's foot control kit and you've got a fast/nimble mowing machine.

If your only going to have one Wheelhorse, might as well go for the gold.

Good luck,

Bill

papaglide

I have had 2 tractors with onans. Neither was a good experience. This was attributed to the Onans. Stick with the 125. Look for a kohler twin or 14 or 16 horse kohler single hydro if you want to lean in the hydro direction. The Kohler is almost bullet proof. The Onans are, well, somewhat finicky. Pamper them and they might last a 1,000 hours. Do a search on this site of all he posts pertaining to Onans, read them and then form your own opinion.

wh500special

You should drive the 520 and then make your choice.

One thing that you need to be aware of is the tendency for the hydro transmission in the 520 to sort of "freewheel" downhill. You mention that your property is hilly and the 520 won't hold itself back without your fooling around with the motion control lever whenever you head downhill.

It's not a problem or really much of an inconvenience, but something of which to be aware.

• Like 1

MalMac

wh500special got a good point there. Oh how those Eaton transmissions love to freewheel. In hilly terrain they can give you the thrill of being on a roller coaster if you are not aware or loose your concentration. YeeeeHaaa! You will be wanting to let go and put your hands in the air.

Hydro

wh500special got a good point there. Oh how those Eaton transmissions love to freewheel. In hilly terrain they can give you the thrill of being on a roller coaster if you are not aware or loose your concentration. YeeeeHaaa! You will be wanting to let go and put your hands in the air.

Considering you're mowing time is only one hour and you have hilly terrain I would not switch up to the 520.  You really aren't saving that much time at the end of the day.  The free wheeling with the hand operated motion control will keep you busy.  On grades I appreciate the 8 speed holding me back and maintaining a constant speed even if it might be a little slower.

There are other models to consider such as a 314H.  Same Eaton transmission in the later models and the reliable Kohler Magnum engine.  Onans do have electrical problems mainly because of the connectors used and are notorious for valve seat issues.  Sometimes bigger isn't always better.

bitten

Personally I would not trade an 8 speed for a Hydo. I would (have)add a Hrdo to the collection thou. I do not mow with a Wheel Horse so my opinion is just that, mine. 

bigfkd22

I along with most of the guys on this site have several wh tractors. They are all set up for something different. I have had a 416-h with an onan in my collection so I'm in the ball park of what you would be getting. I am always on the hunt for a nice 520 but I would not mow with it. There awesome machines and that's why there so coveted here but a rebuild is upward of 1500. That's why a lot are converted to vanguards or Hondas. They have an extremely high failure rate in the 520 for reasons that are still debated. If it were me I would wait for something else. You could also look for jd gt235 with a vanguard about 1000-1400 used in good shape or a 314 hydro. Just my 2 cents.

WH nut

Just go ahead and buy it and keep the other. You can never have too many tractors. I don't use my 520 as often as the others and so far I haven't had any problem other than electrical. and that's not hard to fix. Clean up and repair all connections and make them water tight and you wont have anymore troubles. If the Motor does sh!t the bed I will go ahead and fix it. Keep them clean and cool and I don't think you will have any troubles.

Wheel Horse Kid

If I were you, and if you only have the space and or money for 1 tractor, I would just keep your C125. Like others said, you will not see much of a change in mowing time and I personally would trust the Kohler over the Onan. Don't get me wrong, Onan's are great engines when maintained correctly, but the fact is, alot of people don't maintain them right and the Kohler can simply take the abuse better. 520's are also known for their electrical problems. Another option would be to get a 300 or 400 series hydro tractor with a Kohler or even a C series tractor. Just my 2 cents.

AKincer

I didn't go look at the 520, but I did call and it is now sold.  So, I escaped.  Lots of good feedback here and I will keep thinking while using the C-125.

No way am I going to keep 2 tractors.  I know lots of you guys have several, but this is a lakehouse and there are already too many mechanical toys and not enough storage.  I bought the C-125 in the first place because it would serve 2 purposes pretty well (plowing snow and mowing).  It seems like that logic continues to hold up.  I'm sure I will continue poking around the internet to see what is out there.  Maybe I will run across something between the C-125 and the 520 that has a hydro and a Kohler.  If so, I might take a look.

Interesting comments on 520 free wheeling down the hills.  That's not something I was aware of and since my down hill ends in the water after 2 foot drop over th sea wall, that might be a little unnerving.  Is this true of all hydro's, or of all wheel horse hydro's, or is it limited to the 520?  That might be a big factor in my long term decision making.

Thanks again for all the valuable input.

MalMac

As far as I know it's all the later hydro's with the Eaton 1100 transmission. Some of the members will chime in here with the years that the 1100 was used. I have a C-145 that has a 1100 in it and it freewheels. I believe the tractor is a 1980 or 81. There were some models that had a different Eaton hydro transmission in it I think it was the Eaton 700, I don't know if they freewheel or not, I have never had one.

Hydro

Understand you can control the free wheeling but you're going to be "on" that motion lever constantly. That's why so many of us like Matt 860's motion pedal.  The pedal is a dream to operate and transforms the Eaton 1100 into a very smooth operating machine otherwise the system can be very jerky.  I don't know your grades but you have hands and feet free after you are underway with the 8 speed.  There are definitely advantages to both drive systems you just have to decide for yourself which one is right for you.