bowtiebutler956

Picking Up A C-160 Thursday!

Terry M

Matt, I remember a C-120 at the tractor show in jacksonville ,IL last month that was considered a "special" model because it was one of the few(I thought he said 200 C-120 tractors) built with a Tecumseh installed at the factory.  The C-120 owner was explaining that a limited number of these models were built with the tecumsehs because during production, Kohler couldn't supply enough engines to meet/ finish the total number of tractors built... Which is why its labled a C-120 SPECIAL. and becoming collector items to some..

Matt I know yours dosen't say Special, but Just thinking Maybe thats the case with your C-160.   Maybe somebody else has more info about c-series and Tecumsehs.?

post-5864-0-16141300-1382722984_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-49650900-1382722985_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-89269800-1382722986_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-26305000-1382722988_thumb.jp

Edited by Terry M
  • Like 2

Wishin4a416

You got a Dandy there. Lots of work left in that one.

• Like 1

Hydro

You have to be very happy with that find.  Tiller, trailer and mower not to mention a 16 Single and a rare one at that.

Congratulations :thumbs:  :flags-canada:

• Like 1

Hodge71

1974 and 1975 were the only 2 years that South Bend used Techys to fill in when Kohler couldn't keep up. In 74 the C-120 had no monicker other than the number designation and the 16 horse was designated a C-162 (even though the decals say C-160) and it came as an 8 speed only. In 1975 they added the "Special" designation for Techy powered C-120's and they also were 8 speed only machines.  Thats about all I know about the 2 years (thank the creator is was only 2) of Techys

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:woohoo:   Just in time for halloween, the Techy snatchers strike again. 

Really neat :wh: Matt, dare to be different brother.    :handgestures-thumbsup: 

• Like 2

bowtiebutler956

Wow, thanks for all the great comments, and encouragement guys! The Tecky lives, and it runs Fantastic!!! :woohoo:  No smoke, except a puff of black smoke when throttling up hard. I did the initial wash up on the :wh: today, including removing the shroud, and cleaning out the cooling fins before starting. All I did to was change the oil, new battery, and add gas, and it fired right up. I'm really starting to love this beast now! The clutch pedal is broken as can be seen in the pics below, but I've got a set of both clutch, and brake pedals on the way. I'm still really amazed by the seat, as its in fantastic shape, and the vinyl is still soft, and pliable. I think I'm going to have to put a stack on it. The Nelson muffler is in like new condition, so I'll save it, incase I decide I want to go back to original. I'm going to order a set of 23x10.50-12 ags as well. I introduced the C-160 to the B-80 today, and they get along quite well. :ychain:  Both of my  :wh:'s are 1974 models, just like me. All of us are turning 40 next year!  :ROTF: The hood really is raised much higher on this Tecky model, as can be seen in the comparison of it, and the B-80 below. Anyway, hear are the pics. :thumbs:

I almost forgot to mention that the 88yr old woman I bought this from even gave me the original owners manual for the beast.

Matt :flags-texas:

post-6076-0-79569700-1382756715_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-73754600-1382756734_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-78701900-1382756747_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-25916600-1382756763_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-89317500-1382756808_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-88705900-1382756835_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-89113300-1382756853_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-68042800-1382756870_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-23579100-1382756886_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-79016400-1382756907_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-63477900-1382756929_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-84547100-1382756941_thumb.jp

• Like 5

whc160

:text-coolphotos:   Man Matt that C-160 looks great.  You got a good deal there.  I think it was well worth the trip for you.  About a year ago I made the trip from my house to Kelly's to pick up the last C-160 in my collection the 77 and a tall chute blower.  Was about a five hour trip one way, but well worth it to me.

• Like 2

Racinbob

Wow! That did clean up great. I'm with you on not restoring it but the temptetion would be there. I find the higher hood interesting. I was going to ask for a comparison after you posted the original pictures but I had a hunch it would happen after you got it home. Congrats on a great find.

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Matt, I really believe this one is WH Calander material. I have not seen many I feel this strongly about but this Wheel Horse of yours is pretty special. Above and beyond the maker of the engine, what really makes it stand out to me is the OHV system.

How many Kohlers have that!?!?!?  Mine sure dosen't.

• Like 2

Hydro

:text-coolphotos:   Man Matt that C-160 looks great.  You got a good deal there.  I think it was well worth the trip for you.  About a year ago I made the trip from my house to Kelly's to pick up the last C-160 in my collection the 77 and a tall chute blower.  Was about a five hour trip one way, but well worth it to me.

I've travelled from Orillia On to Ct for a 314 once and to me it was worth it because there was nothing like what I wanted around here.  Now Texas...that's a bit out of my range even for this one but happy it has a good home and will be respected for what it is. :eusa-clap:

• Like 1

tbarnhart

OHV is what gives these Tec's the cool factor. They could be considered years ahead of their time for small engines, but the benefits are the same here as any other application.  The OH160 has the same basic bottom end as the 12 hp HH120 with cast block, tapered Timken main bearings, and balance weights. The bore and stroke are the same, so parts like the piston, rod, and rings interchange.  The blocks were adapted without valves and a different head and larger carb put in place. Instant 33% more power. The OHV design definitely breathes better and offers great fuel efficiency as well.  Enjoy that Horse of another stripe!

• Like 1

Fordiesel69

Question:  Would the OHV techys need to be ran at high throttle like the old kohler K361's to avoid valve train damage?  From what I heard the kohlers did not get enought oil up top unless ran full throttle.

• Like 1

Racinbob

Ford, do you mean the K341? I had a 76 C160 (purchased new) that was my main worker on 26 acres. It didn't have an hour meter but It had a LOT of hours. I chugged around with it at low rpm and never had an issue with oil starvation. The same was true for my Dad's 72 Raider 12 that he purchased new. Both were sold in 2000 when we moved here. I don't have a clue about running the Tecky at low rpm but I'm sure somebody will chime in.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

1974 and 1975 were the only 2 years that South Bend used Techys to fill in when Kohler couldn't keep up. In 74 the C-120 had no monicker other than the number designation and the 16 horse was designated a C-162 (even though the decals say C-160) and it came as an 8 speed only. In 1975 they added the "Special" designation for Techy powered C-120's and they also were 8 speed only machines.  Thats about all I know about the 2 years (thank the creator is was only 2) of Techys

Sounds like the Techy/auto  is really scarce.   Maybe I should retire and restore my '74 120 Techy auto.  . Naaaahhh...the little Indian would probably die if it couldn't work.

• Like 3

posifour11

Good things come to those who wait. Congrats.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Go figure, another great running Tecumseh...

who would've thunk it?    :ychain:  :ychain: 

• Like 1

leeave96

Cool tractor! I learned a lot about this Wheelhorse model reading this thread.

• Like 1

Fordiesel69

Ford, do you mean the K341? I had a 76 C160 (purchased new) that was my main worker on 26 acres. It didn't have an hour meter but It had a LOT of hours. I chugged around with it at low rpm and never had an issue with oil starvation. The same was true for my Dad's 72 Raider 12 that he purchased new. Both were sold in 2000 when we moved here. I don't have a clue about running the Tecky at low rpm but I'm sure somebody will chime in.

Nope, kohler had a 18HP single called a K361 which has overhead valve.  It was a very nice smooth engine when it ran.  Rumor has it, the upper end did not get enough lubrication and would fail unless it was resigned to a full throttle engine.  I have only driven one, and it was a power king.  One owner and really cared for. 

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Once again, thanks for all the great responses, and that a great looking C-120 you have there ekennell. :text-datsphatyo: I got the stack built for it today, although its not done yet. The muffler is only tack welded to the 1" pipe, and the hose clamp won't be staying on there. I will get an exhaust clamp for it, and when its finished, it will get a coat of silver header paint. I also posted a video of it running. As you can probably here, it needs the valves adjusted, and as soon as I find the clearance specs for it, I will adjust them. I love the way this exhaust sounds! :woohoo:  I'm really am enjoying working on this beast, and can't wait to start buffing the paint to see if I can make shine! Thanks 

Matt

Here is the Youtube link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S78kXv0Elg0&feature=youtu.be

post-6076-0-98429500-1382833934_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-84647900-1382833949_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-00009600-1382833969_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-36084000-1382833985_thumb.jp

Edited by bowtiebutler956
  • Like 3

Wheel-N-It

Me too. This has been a very interesting thread for me as a Kohler (K341) powered 416-8 owner, which I think would be two generations newer than the C160.

Someone correct me if I am wrong here.  Would the progression of the 16hp singles be this:

C160,  C161,  C165 Blackhood,  416-8 ??? Am I correct on this? 

Very curious as I am seriously developing an interest in these particular tractors. I have a C165 Blackhood which is not listed below yet because at the present time the engine is at the rebuild shop. It has a rubber mounted K341. The C160 has a solid mount engine, correct? The C161 is rubber mounted, correct?

Thank you to anyone who will set me straight on this.

953 nut

:woohoo:   Love those wood block pedal extensions! :text-lol:  Nice find. :text-coolphotos: 

Ed Kennell

Thanks Matt,  for the great pics and video.  You have the find of a lifetime. Is the hood raised at the front only with the longer hood brackets.  Like that taller look.  On the one pic,  gas tank also looks deeper than my 160 .

Ed Kennell

Me too. This has been a very interesting thread for me as a Kohler (K341) powered 416-8 owner, which I think would be two generations newer than the C160.

Someone correct me if I am wrong here.  Would the progression of the 16hp singles be this:

Very curious as I am seriously developing an interest in these particular tractors. I have a C165 Blackhood which is not listed below yet because at the present time the engine is at the rebuild shop. It has a rubber mounted K341. The C160 has a solid mount engine, correct? The C161 is rubber mounted, correct?

My C-101 is rubber (cradle) mounted . I assume the 101 and 161 indicate cradle mounts.

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

All sounds correct to me, except there was one model before the C-160. It was just called a Wheel Horse 16. Terry (vinylguy) owns one. They look almost identical to a C-160, and I believe they were made in 72-73, but I could be wrong about this.

:woohoo:   Love those wood block pedal extensions! :text-lol:  Nice find. :text-coolphotos: 

Yeh, I liked them so much I decided to keep them. :ROTF:  The clutch pedal is broke, and both of them were drilled for blocks, so I ordered a pair. That's why I didn't even bother to remove them.

OH160 operator manual

OH160 service manual

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/2382-engine-tecumseh-8hp-to-18hp-cast-iron-smpdf/

Valve specs on page 71.

Garry

Thanks, I relly appreciate that!! Valve clearance is .010 IN, and .020 EX.. I'll check the valves soon. :thumbs:

Thanks Matt,  for the great pics and video.  You have the find of a lifetime. Is the hood raised at the front only with the longer hood brackets.  Like that taller look.  On the one pic,  gas tank also looks deeper than my 160 .

Thanks, and as far as I can tell the hood is just raised in the front. However, someone said they tried installing these brackets on a regular C-160, and it wouldn't work. :dunno:

Matt :flags-texas: