bowtiebutler956

Picking Up A C-160 Thursday!

Racinbob

I wasn't going to post this idea because I felt it was kinda hijacking a cool thread but I can't resist now that it's been running a while. As Fordiesel69 mentioned, there is a 18hp K361. It's the same bore and stroke as the K341 but apparently the OHV and maybe carb tweaks gave it more horsepower. Even at my over ripe old age I keep learning. But it would require more clearance like the Tecky on bowtiebutler956's. Now, wouldn't it be cool to put a K361 on the star tractor here? A C180? I'll bet most folks here know where they could get the decals made.

• Like 2

Hydro

Don't disagree but this is all about bowtiebtler956's post and his Tecky .  That would  make a neat post though.

Edited by Hydro

bowtiebutler956

I wasn't going to post this idea because I felt it was kinda hijacking a cool thread but I can't resist now that it's been running a while. As Fordiesel69 mentioned, there is a 18hp K361. It's the same bore and stroke as the K341 but apparently the OHV and maybe carb tweaks gave it more horsepower. Even at my over ripe old age I keep learning. But it would require more clearance like the Tecky on bowtiebutler956's. Now, wouldn't it be cool to put a K361 on the star tractor here? A C180? I'll bet most folks here know where they could get the decals made.

I couldn't agree more! That would be awesome, and I would love to see one built. :woohoo:  I wouldn't do it to this one, as I kind of like this somewhat unusual C-160. I believe the K361 is a hard engine to find, but it sure would make a great build! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Wheel Horse Kid

I agree that you should keep it original Matt as you have a fairly "rare" tractor there. I had a K361 on an Allis Chalmers 718 once and did not really care for it at all. It did not run as good as the other K series engines and it was a higher matience engine. I sold that tractor within a couple weeks of ownership due to not liking it. I think the lower hp K series were made better myself. There is probably a reason the K361 engines are hard to find! LOL! Ok, off my soap box now...There are probably people who disagree with me, just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Well, I've been out of town for a few days, and just got back last night, so I hadn't got much done on it. However, when I got back I had a couple things that had come in the mail. I got a care package from Glen Pettit, including a repro throttle knob, and a few other items. Glen does great work!! :bow-blue:  I also got some 23x10.50-12 AG's, and some tri-ribs. :text-datsphatyo:  The clutch pedal came in as well, so now it drives. :woohoo:   Here are a few pics. :thumbs:

post-6076-0-15341400-1383345594_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-59692700-1383345609_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-16197400-1383345621_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-32559900-1383345642_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-35722000-1383345661_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-01244600-1383345673_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-83731600-1383345686_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-83861700-1383345702_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-99574800-1383345715_thumb.jp

Edited by bowtiebutler956
  • Like 8

Hydro

Are those 10.50's on a smaller sized rim?  They look great.

• Like 1

Terry M

Nice AG's and tri's you have there Matt!!   And overall the tractor is turning out to look really sharp ! :handgestures-thumbupright:  But Actually that's no surprise. :)

Oh,  I think your tractor maybe taken from behind your back by some small person in a red shirt. :teasing-poke:   Be carefull pal...

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Are those 10.50's on a smaller sized rim?  They look great.

They are on the original rims. They bulge off rims a little more than the original 8.50's, but not to bad. Thanks for the kind words. :thumbs:

Nice AG's and tri's you have there Matt!!   And overall the tractor is turning out to look really sharp ! :handgestures-thumbupright:  But Actually that's no surprise. :)

Oh,  I think your tractor maybe taken from behind your back by some small person in a red shirt. :teasing-poke:   Be carefull pal...

Thanks Terry. If Danny had it his way, all my tractors would be his!! :ROTF:  That boy is a real chip off the old block! :thumbs:

bowtiebutler956

Here is a comparison of the 8.50's on my B-80, and the 10.50's on the C-160.

post-6076-0-28697600-1383350628.jpg

post-6076-0-82755000-1383350661_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Lars

Looks Good Matt.. glad you finaly found a C160.. :woohoo:

• Like 1

Martin

looking good matt. those tri ribs and ags are a great combination and look right on your tractor. I'm happy that kent wanted them for his tractor instead of turfs, dad wanted to put turfs on instead, but the tri's and ag's won out and look better i think........

makes me want to change another one of mine over from the turf savers on it now..........

how do you like the deestone ags? it was a toss up between them and the duros for kents tractor. ended up price on the duro was better so i went with them. looks like you got the deestone d401 on the front......

great tire for the money.

Hydro

Texas is beginning to look not so far away after all. :eusa-whistle:

• Like 2

Jake Kuhn

That tractor is looking fantastic matt! :handgestures-thumbup:  You are always welcome to store it in my barn...I'll put it to use. :)  :ychain:

Edited by Jake Kuhn
  • Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Thanks Lars, and I am glad I finally got a C-160.

looking good matt. those tri ribs and ags are a great combination and look right on your tractor. I'm happy that kent wanted them for his tractor instead of turfs, dad wanted to put turfs on instead, but the tri's and ag's won out and look better i think........

makes me want to change another one of mine over from the turf savers on it now..........

how do you like the deestone ags? it was a toss up between them and the duros for kents tractor. ended up price on the duro was better so i went with them. looks like you got the deestone d401 on the front......

Thanks Martin. I really like the AG's, and Tri-Ribs, as they just give it that "Big Tractor" look.  I have had the Deestone's on my B-80 for almost 2 years, and lots of hours mowing. So far I've had no problems whatsoever, and I'm not even using tubes on the tri-ribs on my B-80 like they recommend. I just mounted them, and never had a problem. I went ahead, and used the tubes on the C-160, because they came with the tires, but if I ever get a flat, I'll probably just remove the tube, and install a valve stem.

That tractor is looking fantastic john! :handgestures-thumbup:  You are always welcome to store it in my barn...I'll put it to use. :)  :ychain:

Who's John? :ROTF:  Thanks Jake, but its happy in its current stable, and if it saw the size of your stables, it would never want to come home! :ychain:

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Thanks Lars, and I am glad I finally got a C-160.

Thanks Martin. I really like the AG's, and Tri-Ribs, as they just give it that "Big Tractor" look.  I have had the Deestone's on my B-80 for almost 2 years, and lots of hours mowing. So far I've had no problems whatsoever, and I'm not even using tubes on the tri-ribs on my B-80 like they recommend. I just mounted them, and never had a problem. I went ahead, and used the tubes on the C-160, because they came with the tires, but if I ever get a flat, I'll probably just remove the tube, and install a valve stem.

That tractor is looking fantastic john! :handgestures-thumbup:  You are always welcome to store it in my barn...I'll put it to use. :)  :ychain:

Who's John? :ROTF:  Thanks Jake, but its happy in its current stable, and if it saw the size of your stables, it would never want to come home! :ychain:

You got me there.....I'm wondering the same thing now too. LOL

• Like 1

userj8670

Where can I find one of those sweet looking keychains?! Tractor looks awesome!

bowtiebutler956

Right here in the vendors section. Here is a link to his keys page. Glens work is first class! :thumbs:

Wheel-N-It

Matt, this C is looking better and better as the days roll by. It could not have gone to a more deserving Texan! :flags-texas:

Hydro

So...I am curious how does the valve train on this Tecky get lubrication? I presume it still works on the splash system? It does seem like a long way for the oil to travel.

bowtiebutler956

Matt, this C is looking better and better as the days roll by. It could not have gone to a more deserving Texan! :flags-texas:

Thanks Van, and I really appreciate the role you played in helping me find this. The more I work on this :wh:, the more I love it! :thumbs:

So...I am curious how does the valve train on this Tecky get lubrication? I presume it still works on the splash system? It does seem like a long way for the oil to travel.

Yes it is still the splash system. Your right, it does seem like a long way for the oil to travel, but I had the valve cover off the other day, and there was plenty of oil up there. I don't think I would allow this engine to idle for extended periods of time though.

• Like 1

whc160

Matt it looks like you are really enjoying your C-160.  It cleaned up well.  I like the new tires.  I also put 10.50's on one of mine.  But instead of tri ribs on the front I went wider to 7.50's on the newer style front wheels.  Gave it a wider stance and a mean look.

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Just thought I'd give a quick update. Before polishing it up any more, I decided to work it some, to see if any problems would arise. It took the place of my B-80 on mowing day (about 4hrs work), and it did great. Its a strong running animal. Although it performed very well, I had several leaks show themselves. The push rod tube seals started leaking, as can be seen in the pics. The fuel pump started leaking, so I ordered a rebuild kit. The transaxle also started leaking at the input shaft seal, as well as the brake drum seal. :banghead:  I'll deal with the engine, and fuel leaks ASAP, but will probably wait a little while on the rear end. I guess it has the right to leaks after sitting for so many years.

post-6076-0-93470500-1383796296_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-18964400-1383796318_thumb.jp

post-6076-0-50418300-1383796333_thumb.jp

dclarke

Here is a comparison of the 8.50's on my B-80, and the 10.50's on the C-160.

I like the 10.50's Matt. Good choice! :thumbs:

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Matt, I can't swear to this as a cure but two of my WH's were weeping a bit of transmission oil when I bought them. One thing I always do when fitting up a new Wheel Horse is change the transmission oil to Lucas 85w-140. On both of these tractors I think the weeping has stopped. I have some axle seals here at the shop but have not needed to install them. Best of luck if you try this.

Van

• Like 1

nolarefugee

Here are a few of the pics the seller sent me. I'm hoping the Tecky is in decent shape, as I would like to keep it original.

Nice!  My c160 had blocks duct tape to the pedals too.  The fellow who owned it before me was not very tall and needed a little help reaching the pedals...  good find.