Stepney

MIDLAND Bull Pup???

Stepney

Well, after taking a nice cruise through town on the 57 Shiwinn today, I found something... Has anyone here ever heard of a 1958 Midland Bull Pup tractor? It has Serial No. 137 on the dash, a rather ugly hood and grille, and small, narrow rear tires. The engine is a Briggs 19 rope start. It's red and green. I found two others online, both are '59's. Has anyone ever heard of these? He wants $500.00, WHich I think is okay... But there is no idea what these go for, because there has never been one observed for sale!? I found that they may have been built for Montgomery Wards... No idea, What do you think, I'll get some pictures soon.

Spenser.

55rj35jr

pictures please :)

Wheel-N-It

Yes, pictures would be good!

Stepney

WOW! Holy dead post, Batman! All this time later, I tracked her down and got 'er for $75.00! It's serial number 148 and powered by a Briggs model 19. It has ridiculously high gearing.. I clocked it at 17MPH, still runs like a champ! Apparently it was originally metallic green and cream white.. the last owner really buggered it up by over spraying EVERYTHING.. The decals WERE there and apparently in good shape, too... However after draining a few gallons of water from various places.. she went right down the road on her own! I'm amazed. As much as I love my MH PONY, and my 'Horses.. this thing blows me away! Needs a good bit of work yet.. but I can't believe I actually found it. It's literally the SAME one. My god.. this thing is LONG! The hood is twice the distance from the seat as it is on a WH! No cables, it has bellcranks and a cast iron quadrent as a throttle.. strikingly similar to a model T actually. Transmission is what I'd call an 'E' pattern, with one extra slot. It has a large latch that locks it in gear.. the transmission ad rear axle are of a very odd design.. both have oil drains, but the chain-case only has a grease fitting? Whats the drain for then!? More pics. to come. Never thought I'd see one again! So, three years later I ask again.. anybody know about them?:)

Screen Shot 2015-05-22 at 10.43.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-05-22 at 10.42.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-05-22 at 10.44.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-05-22 at 10.44.29 PM.png

• Like 3

shallowwatersailor

Here is a thread on another forum with some information.
http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/498-pictures-of-1959-wardsmidland-gt-wtiller/
I think that you will find that Midland adapted the walk-behind transmission (like Simplicity did) to build a ride-on tractor. I would search on the internet using Midland Montgomery Ward.

gwest_ca

Found this in my stash
​Garry

Edited by gwest_ca

Stepney

WOW! Thats exactly like I thought it may have looked like. Since this has the dreaded Magnematic system, I'm probably just going to use a car coil on it. At that rate.. why not put a generator on too? Thanks for that picture!

baerpath

Guy just asked me about one of these He just got it on trade I'll have to send him a link