leeave96

Briggs & Stratton Vanguard Repower ????

leeave96

While I'm waiting to tinker with my recently aquired 520H and the potential it may need a repower, I took a look-see at this:  http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/386447-WH520H-R1.html?sc=17&category=1710352

The engine is a 23 hp B&S Vanguard, around $1650 for the complete kit, including muffler.  Price doesn't sound to bad - all things considered.

What I expected to see was a Honda kit.

Anyone repowered with a Vanguard engine?

Window shopping with quesitons... ;)

Any experience you could share with the Vanguard engine would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill

Don1977

I've used Vanguards on my C-120 since 1990. Had a 16 HP for 20 years. I now have a 18 HP on it. The only reason I changed Is I broke the corner mount off the 16 HP

and never got it welded where it did seep oil. It opened up a crack and dumped my oil and started knocking before I knew to oil was gone.

I broke the 16 HP the way I broke it was I went off a bank and landed on the right front wheel. This twisted the frame and broke the right mount tab off the engine. After that I put a 6 1/2" x  9 1/2" x 3/8" steel plate under the engine with 1/2" x 2" x 6 1/2" spacers.

I looked at the Honda engines when I repowered my tractor. I went with the Vanguard because the Honda was too wide to fit into a C-120. The Vanguard is a shoe horn fit.

You have a lot more room with 520. 

I've post this picture before but here it is again.

SAM_0113.jpg

SAM_0055.jpg

• Like 1

leeave96

Nice - any problems with the PTO pressing against the thrust bearing on the crank?  Reason I ask is I had a C-111 with a Briggs 11 hp engine and there was a thrust bearing plate against the block.  Sometimes when these vendors put together a "kit" they don't always know the ins/outs of the potential issues.

I like the Vanguard engines, I have one on a Simplicity and so far so good.  From a replacement standpoint, they are lower cost (IMHO) than the Kohlers.

Thanks!

Bill

Don1977

I ran the 16 HP 20 years with out a problem with the PTO. The Vanguards have a ball bearing on the PTO side. I can't tell about the kits, I bought the engines and installed them myself. The C-120 has a much simpler electric system then what you have. I bought both engines with the electric system and switch installed. I just moved the switch to the tractor and made a few addition to the wiring as required. Briggs does make a Vanguard with a 1 1/8" PTO shaft I guess that is the engine in the kit. That is one question I would ask before buying the kit. I used an engine with a 1" PTO shaft and had to modify my drive pulley, I also have a sleeve inside the original PTO sleeve.

leeave96

Great info - thanks!

P3x

Looks like a good option to repower. The link info lists the crankcase oil capacity as 1.48 Qts with filter. Is this correct?

Seems to be a tad on the low side for this size engine.

Hydro

I have a small engine mechanic who has over 30 years of experience and he says the B&S Vanguard is an excellent engine.  He warns about some of the aftermarket mufflers being very noisy like the ones from Small Engine Warehouse. He has installed a few of their kits.