Hodge71

Carb pukes gas out the front

Hodge71

I took the Walbro carb off the Charger 12 with the new Kohler in it as it wouldn't run without the choke half on. I disassembled and soaked it then put it back together. Well now it pukes gas out the front when I try to start it. I have no extra parts (for once) after rebuilding it and I'm totally lost. I definitely am not a carb guy yet so I have no idea where to look. Its a near type Walbro that only has the low speed mixture adjustment and I'm lost to say the least....Please help!!! I'd love to get this thing running and driving today. 

WH nut

Recheck your float level. There isn't much you can do wrong.

AMC RULES

I don't know...    :eusa-think: 

do Walbro carbs have the plastic internal valves that carb cleaner eats? 

Hodge71

I don't know...    :eusa-think: 

do Walbro carbs have the plastic internal valves that carb cleaner eats? 

Not sure Craig. Everything I can find on it says all internals valve are soft brass instead of hard brass like the Kohler carb

Martin

partially blocked exhaust......?

i would check that as well as the float situation, maybe the float needle/seat isnt closing off....

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

Hodge71

Its definitely not the exhaust Martin. This was running yesterday I am leaning toward the float as well. I thought I was pretty careful not to touch it but maybe cleaning all the other varnish/crud that was in there made the adjustment change. I'm going out now to pull it again and see the float setting when upside down. Kohler manual says it should be level with the bowl gasket surface

Martin

maybe the carb picked up some small piece of junk from the fuel line/tank etc. that decided to get in the needle/seat and stop it from fully closing.

one other thing i just thought of.....

on my kt17 series 2 it has a walbro carb probably similar to yours. the float has a spring holding the float up in the bowl. i left it there as it was in there before me and it showed up on the ipl i had.......

i always wondered if it was causing a hard start problem i had, and not allowing gas in when cranking. i have since fixed the problem (unrelated to the float) and the spring remains there. just thinking it must be there for a reason. it sounds as though just maybe if you have the same carb and the spring is either missing or weak if there......

interested in what you find out while messing with it again......

Hodge71

Its all better now. Some moron put the float in upside down..... :banghead:  No clue what I was thinking when I was  :tools-wrench: but its all good now. Just ran it HARD for about half hour. One thing that does need attention is the RPM. I need to see where this thing is running at because if I run it at full throttle it sounds like its about 5 grand. Needless to say I lowered it to what I thought was right by ear. Now I have a reason to use my new laser tach..... Used it to push some serious modified around in the driveway. The tranny is flawless and runs like the day it came off the line in South Bend. :auto-layrubber:  I might be in love...... :wub:

• Like 2

953 nut

You are an honest man! :text-bravo: