mcknigb

Removing a Spindel from a 48" side discharge deck

mcknigb

I have a 1994 314 wheelhorse with a 48" side discharge deck with a bad spindle in the middle. I have removed the nut and lock washer, but cannot get the pulley to break free to replace the spindle. any help would be great on how to replace this spindle. I have a old deck with good spindles on it. The mower model number is a 75360.

daveoman1966

This has worked well for me.... don't be bashful.

1) take the blade off and remove the grease fitting

2) locate a coffee can and put it under the deck, on a cement floor, with the spindle hanging in it.

2a)...the coffee can MUST be level on the floor and flush with the deck.  Set another coffee can at the other end if necessary.

3) Locate a round tube (or another pulley) with 3/4" center, a couple inches long....plumbing pipe short nipple or short connector is ok. 

4) Locate a short 5/8" bar that fits inside the 3/4" tube.

5) locate a nut just big enough to fit inside the tube (it will protect the grease fitting threads)

6) Set the nut onto the spindle shaft, then the 3/4" tube, then 5/8" bar into that tube.  The bar should protrude no more than 1/2" or so.

7) HAMMER TIME..... Hold flat end of ball-peen hammer on the bar and WHACK it with some VIOLENCE with a much BIGGER HAMMER.   

8) This will drive the spindle shaft down thru pulley and spindle...in the can.  I should come off with the first WHACK.  If not, you didn't hit it hard enough...go pcikup the parts and try again.

9) NOTE....you don't want to bend the shaft here.  That's why a I say to hit it HARD.  The more time you have to hit it, the  more likely it is to bend.

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 2

mcknigb

Thanks, I really appreciate it, I did what you said and it popped out the 2nd hit..

Don1977

Take the snap ring out that is below the bottom bearing before you use a hammer on the spindle if not you could destroy a spindle housing.