Hodge71

Saved from the Crusher..... for now

Hodge71

Got a super deal on a '70 Charger 12 Auto with a relatively new 12 horse in her, a 42 in dozer blade  and rough 42" RD deck. Tractor $175, deck $40... A quick 4 1/2 hour round trip to Mount Holly Springs and wahlah!! It looks like I may have gotten a decent deal for a non runner.... but I got the Kohler running in 15 minutes once I got a bit of a charge in the battery and a quick fuel line and filter change. Problem is it wont stay running unless the choke is full on. New fuel lines and filter, gas all the way to the carb. dropped the bowl and it is full. Never fooled with a Walbro carb before but looks like I will be learning about it very soon Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. I actually bought it for the seat and the pristine Wheel Horse Turf Savers on the back. They will donate themselves to the C-160 restoration this winter. Its growing on me though even in its rusty condition. I can see where the racing stripes went down the hood center though. By far the worst I have ever paid money for, thankfully it wasn't a lot of money for what I got though.....

post-1339-0-99416700-1382165111_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-26573500-1382165130_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-53779600-1382165144_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-61493200-1382165156_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-29813200-1382165168_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-00268600-1382165189_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-46125900-1382165205_thumb.jp

Edited by hodge71
  • Like 1

Trouty56

Should have drove a little further and got yourself a C-160 auto.....'laugh out loud'

I like Chargers....good deal....nice seat...

Edited by Trouty56

WH nut

The deck should have been free, the tractors not bad at all.

Retired Wrencher

:USA:  :wh: Jeff I say clean it up get it running good take the parts off u need and sell it. U might make a few bucks on it.  Gary    B..............

oldblue1993

that looks nice, I would just say its got "patina". My  son says, he would spend that all day for something like that "of course he would be spending my money". Great save. Some really smart guy on here said add up all the parts you see by price and as long as the buying price is lower your doing good, I see way over 175 in parts. "not that I would part her out".

boovuc

For the parts and a running Kohler, you didn't over pay. You made out. Especially with the seat!

Jake Kuhn

nice save! Bet the seat is worth about what you paid for it!

Ed Kennell

Seat                     $100

Electric PTO        $75

Charger 12           FREE

Super deal  :happy-jumpeveryone:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Crazy...how the sum total of the individual parts is worth more than a whole running tractor.   :eusa-doh: 

Kelly

I would have paid that for the tractor in a heart beat, now the deck unless it had nice spindle housings or other parts would have stayed, or been $20 maybe

speedyleedy

Looks like you made out ok to me :eusa-think:

Hodge71

Spindles are in great shape and I do have the center one thats missing in the pic. I need the carriage assy for my 42 RD as mine id pretty rough.The gauge wheels and parts on my 42 need replaced also. The deck came with what looks like a brand new deck belt too. I really cant complain for 40 bucks. Theres $200+ in spindle parts there if I were to sell them. The tractor is staying. I've been looking for a  1973 10 or 14 auto for my boy...looks like its going to be a 12 Charger with a new Kohler  12 horse instead.  I'll let you guys know progress. I think I'm going to tear that carb off tomorrow and tear into it for a real good cleaning and see how it runs after that.

i967mustang

I paid $125 for one in about the same shape, only I had to find the snow plow separate. I think you did great with this buy.

953 nut

:twocents-twocents:  Give some Seafoam Spray a try on the carb. before taking it apart. Take out the high and low speed adjusting screws, spray a good shot in each, set them to factory settings and see how it runs. this has worked for me.

The package you got seems like a real good buy to me.  :woohoo: 

Hodge71

:twocents-twocents:  Give some Seafoam Spray a try on the carb. before taking it apart. Take out the high and low speed adjusting screws, spray a good shot in each, set them to factory settings and see how it runs. this has worked for me.

The package you got seems like a real good buy to me.  :woohoo: 

I tried the Seafoam spray and it really didint help much. Choke still needs to be half on for it to run. Also there is only 1 adjustment screw on this Walbro. I gotta learn a bit more about this carb. I currently trying to get a build date on that new K-301 too. 

Wheel-N-It

Crazy...how the sum total of the individual parts is worth more than a whole running tractor.   :eusa-doh: 

This is a good example of "Simple Wheel Horse Mathmatics" .  

$Parts >or= to $Value of Whole Running Tractor

Maybe its a good thing Toro stopped production of Wheel Horses while they were still simple machines. I would really prefer not to take this hobby to the quantum level of thinking  :eusa-think:  :eusa-think:

Hydro

The price was right Jeff, good luck with it. :handgestures-thumbup:

Hodge71

Well I rebuilt the carb today and after it was puking gas out the front I pulled it apart and realized I put the float on upside down.... :hide: No wonder it wouldnt shut the flow of fuel off. It runs now. I ran it real hard for about 30-40 minutes moving modified with the blade. I must say this tranny is so smooth and loves to work. Didnt slow down at any point and I got her warm. IR thermometer was saying 165 degrees right after I stopped. This thing can push!!

One thing to address tomorrow after I degrease and pressure wash her is the RPM's. My ear says its at 5000 so I lowered the throttle to about 3/4, I'll see what my laser tach says tomorrow and ask more questions at that point on how to make adjustments. Once I get that squared away I can figure out why I cant get the pin to move on the blade so I can angle it.

Edited by hodge71
  • Like 2

oldblue1993

Sorta sad to see what people toss, glad to hear shes alive.

Buzz

Well I rebuilt the carb today and after it was puking gas out the front I pulled it apart and realized I put the float on upside down.... :hide: No wonder it wouldnt shut the flow of fuel off. It runs now. I ran it real hard for about 30-40 minutes moving modified with the blade. I must say this tranny is so smooth and loves to work. Didnt slow down at any point and I got her warm. IR thermometer was saying 165 degrees right after I stopped. This thing can push!!

One thing to address tomorrow after I degrease and pressure wash her is the RPM's. My ear says its at 5000 so I lowered the throttle to about 3/4, I'll see what my laser tach says tomorrow and ask more questions at that point on how to make adjustments. Once I get that squared away I can figure out why I cant get the pin to move on the blade so I can angle it.

Here's a link to the service manual: http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/tp_2379.pdf

953 nut

:woohoo:   Glad to hear you found the problem. I had always figured I was the only person who ever put a float in upside down, welcome to the club! It takes an honest man to admit to that. :text-thankyouyellow: 

Now I know you got a great deal.

Hodge71

Well I played for about another hour or so this morning. Pressure washer her and got all the moss and grease from sitting for 15 years. Heres some after pics...

post-1339-0-78347400-1382372933_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-74854000-1382372951_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-32807700-1382372971_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-29345000-1382372985_thumb.jp

I gotta say, I am totally head over heels for this thing and I don't know why. If its because it sat for 15 years and I got it running in about 3 hours or if it was the price or what. I mean this thing was literally covered in vines and had to be pulled out from behind the barn. The sheetmetal is razor straight and there isn't even a dimple anywhere in this metal anywhere. It may be the racing stripes on the hood....or at least where there should be stripes. I have found the replacement Kohler is from 1987 so it can't have too many hours on it with it sitting for 15 years basically unused and only run to move it around every once in awhile. The guy told me it hadn't been started in at least 3 years.... I was going to part this thing out but now its got a home and it may be the one who gets restored this winter and the C-160 may wait. I have a funny feeling my son is going to love chugging around on this when he gets home from school tonight. All I gotta do now is find where I can get those stripes from. I didn't see them on Redoyourhorse anywhere. I have a funny feeling new decals are going to be ordered soon.

The only problem I see is over-revving. This Walbro has no hi speed adjustment and after checking it out today with my spirometer its showing 4700 RPM. My C-160 is right at 3600 so I'm pretty sure it accurate. Believe it or not the fancy laser tach is so far off it isn't funny. I have no idea how to adjust that rpm down from 4700 to 3200 where it belongs. The tranny is the next thing to get attention. The engine oil was crystal clear like honey and the tranny fluid is blood red as it should be but the filter is red. I knowWheel Horse hasn't made a red filter in at least 20 years...maybe more. I doubt he was like my Dad and bought a case of filters and is still using red ones to change his...... I definitely want to get it drained and refilled with new ATF and a brandy new filter.

Edited by hodge71
  • Like 2

Hydro

That tractor looks great Jeff.  Sounds like your in love :wub:

Retired Wrencher

:USA::wh: Jeff very nice job it came out great may be try buff it out with compound and wax now and see if it comes out even better.   Gary      B.........................

Hodge71

:USA::wh: Jeff very nice job it came out great may be try buff it out with compound and wax now and see if it comes out even better.   Gary      B.........................

There is no way that'll buff out with anything less than 80 grit on a R/O sander... :laughing-rolling: