cod

fine tuning a hydro

cod

Looking for information as why my 418-A starts to slow down down when mowing uphill and tends to speed up going downhill.  I keep the tranny fluid within the crosshatching of the dipstick and cleaned all the fins on the tranny to try and keep it cool but invariably I have to ease the hydro lever forward to get the beast to the crest and then move it back to its previous position or further if I'm heading downhill.  I realize it has 26 years of wear and tear on the tranny but I'd like to hold out hope that it's not going to stop working in the near future.  Some of the other things I've done to try and see if they solve the problem is replace all the hydraulic lines and the cam plate. While changing the cam plate I did notice that the cam itself is worn and I intend to make a new one later this year.  The PO told me that he'd just changed the tranny filter and oil just before I bought it ( May ) and I've been running 10w30 motor oil for tranny fluid and I've thought of switching to10w40 to see if that could help but I'm open to suggestions from any of you who've dealt with an aging hydro.

Thanks in advance - Cod

SousaKerry

Sounds normal.  Some of them tend to do it more then others, but this a common problem.  If you do some digging you will find several topics on this with the Eaton trannys

dcrage

My 418-A does the same thing -- As Kerry pointed out there have been numerous identical topics started over the last couple years with no concensus answer

I guess if we had Matt's foot control on these tractors we wouldn't notice this problem -- We would just adjust the "accelerator pedal" to get the right speed

Edited by dcrage

squonk

I would buy a new cam and plate instead of making one and switch to syn. oil.. Marvin's tranny slowed bad after getting warm. I replaced the 1100 with another one and now the speed is constant.

leeave96

It is normal for the Eaton 1100 to speed up and slow down on hills. I live on hills and dealt with that for years. The only real cure is Matt's foot control kit. It really is the missing link to bringing these old iron hydros into the new century.

Good luck,

Bill

• Like 1

Hydro

It is normal for the Eaton 1100 to speed up and slow down on hills. I live on hills and dealt with that for years. The only real cure is Matt's foot control kit. It really is the missing link to bringing these old iron hydros into the new century.

Good luck,

Bill

Absolutely correct and they work all the way up here :flags-canada:  

Red-Bovine

Matt's foot control RULES!!!!!

Red

• Like 1

cod

Thanks guys as I'll look into the foot control and switching to syn oil.

Cod

bubbacola

Cod  I had same problem with my 1100 trans and it was a little jerky .. I replaced pump.. still same problems .. so I replaced trans and pump.. still same problem.. so reading on one of the many great topics here on RS I got me a Matts pedal and change to mobil 1. Omg Can't believe that its the same tractor..Fell in love with my tractor all over again.

Bernie

• Like 1