dparke

B80 won't move!

stevasaurus

Actually, you do not need to do anything to that hole...just put a little finger of all that grease you pulled out back in there or a dab of silicone calk...that hole sits right against the mounting plate as Bob said.  What you may want to do thought, is take a 1/4" drill bit and run it through all those holes by hand to just clean the passage way out so the detente balls work like they should.  If those balls are worn, they are 1/4" stainless steel balls...available at ACE Hardware one at a time for about .25 cents apiece. :)   Also...take a look at your reverse idler gear.  I can't tell in the picture, but the bevel side should be up. :)

Bob that transmission of yours looks like it just came from the factory.  WOW

• Like 1

dparke

Ok, I'll just use a little sealer in there and let it dry while I wait for the differential from Bob.  I double checked the reverse idler gear, the bevel is indeed facing up.

Thanks!

-Dan

• Like 1

rmaynard

I don't know if it was mentioned or not, but while you are waiting, get some new seals for the axles, input and brake shaft. You will also need a new gasket. Seals are available from NAPA or other auto parts stores, and the gasket is available from TORO. If you need any part numbers just holler.

• Like 1

dparke

Alright, I'll order the seals tomorrow.  As for the gasket, I was planning on using GM anaerobic sealer.  I work at a GM dealership, and it's what we use to seal up differentials and transfer cases.  The Toro dealer in my neck of the woods is a real pain to deal with, and have actually complained when I've asked for Wheel Horse parts before.  This sealer is good stuff.

I should just be able to cross reference the Wheel Horse part numbers out of the transmission manual to Napa seals.

Thanks!

-Dan

stevasaurus

I was thinking the same thing Bob.  Nothing was going to leak out of what was in there before...be a shame to do all this work and not change the seals while it is easy to do. :)

WH # 1232  is SKF 9815  need 2 for the axles ...  for 1" axles

WH # 1303 is SKF 7410 need 2 for the input shaft and brake shaft 3/4"  check your manual to see what size you have here.

I edited this because I did not put in the correct information.  It should be correct now.

Edited by stevasaurus

dparke

Just to make sure, that'd be two 3/4" seals and two 1" seals, correct?  2 of the CR7410 and 2 of the CR9815?

stevasaurus

Yes 2 of the CR 9815 and 2 of the CR  7410....CR is SKF now...Chicago Rawhide was bought out.

I would also go with the gasket from TORO...about $6.  The reason is that you need the thickness of the gasket for the spacing of the shafts that sit in the bearings.  Without the thickness, you could be pinching the shafts in the bearings, thus binding up the gears.  It happened to me when I was doing an RJ transmission.  I know it is only 1/32" thick, but it did make a difference.  You do not need any sealer on the gasket.

Note...I did not look at the manual for the diameters that you may have...that is why I put the WH #'s in there for you.  If you find different #'s, either let us know or I can do the leg work.

edited to show the correct information...thanks Bob. :)

Edited by stevasaurus

rmaynard

Sorry Stevo, but the input and brake are both Toro #100441 (CR7410), 3/4" on the B-80 4-Speed, and the axles are 1".

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

Dang it...I just hate giving out bad information with out doing the legwork...thanks Bob. :bow-blue:   Let me go back and edit my post so I do not mess somebody else up. 

sorry for the misunderstanding  on my part...I think I have it right now. :eusa-think:

zanepetty

Welcome to redsquare , dparke. I talked to Steve on the phone last night about your trans..what a mess! Crazy what people will do sometimes. It sure looks VERY nice now though. Great job. Steve talked me through redoing mine not long ago. You're in good hands :).

dparke

Thank you, I really appreciate it!  I rounded up a gasket for the case halves this morning, and am waiting on Napa to deliver my seals and outer axle needle bearings.  My differential from Bob is due in tomorrow, so hopefully tomorrow night I'll be reinstalling the transmission! 

Of course now last night I got the K181 running in the B80 and have discovered a massive leak between the two halves of the fuel pump, so now I'll have to get after that, but oh well.  These little projects keep me out of trouble, anyway.

-Dan

• Like 1

zanepetty

Yes. I know what you mean. Im still new to the wheel horse world but I've figured out that nothing is as simple as it should be. I must enjoy it to put myself through all this haha

• Like 1

dparke

Well, upon closer inspection this morning, I think my hubs are shot.  I neglected to shine a light down inside them previously, and now I see that the keyway slots are really chewed up directly underneath the set screws.  I don't think I want to risk putting them on, so now the hunt begins for a pair of those.  Ugh.

Anyway, UPS is due to deliver my differential today, so at least I'll be able to assemble everything else. 

-Dan

zanepetty

Sounds like me, Dan! Can't win for losing! Keep us posted on how it goes together.

Zane

rmaynard

Dan,

Your hubs are on the way.

• Like 1

dparke

You're the man, Bob!  Coming to my rescue twice on one tractor, who could ask for more?!?

-Dan

rmaynard

Did you make any progress this weekend?

dparke

Yessir! Thanks to the help of everyone here, but especially you and Steve, I now have a fully operational B80!

I finished putting it all back together late last night. I still have a few minor issues to fiddle with (like a surging motor/governor), and I still need a hood latch and ornament, but it's alive!

Now today I went and picked up a basket case RJ 58, as if I needed another project...

Thanks again to everyone for your help and advice. You all make this an amazing place for us Wheel Horse nuts!

Dan

• Like 1

zanepetty

Good to hear Dan! That's great. Post pics!

dparke

I'll try to snap a couple pictures after work tonight.  My Horses aren't the prettiest, but I love 'em just the same.

-Dan

rmaynard

Dan,

I'm glad everything worked. Happy to help.

Never worry about how the horses look. My trusty B-100 worker is the worst looking horse in the fleet, but it's always been dependable.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

:woohoo:   IT'S ALIVE. Congratulations, and I am glad it all worked out for you.  Dan, it's been a pleasure. :)