Martin

416 adventures......

sorekiwi

Hey Martin - you talk funny!!  :)

That hunting would drive you nuts.  Have you tried just giving it a hair of choke to see if the slightly richer mixture helps it?  I don't know which inlet manifold you are using, but it might be worth having a look for a vacuum leak.  I've had good luck with a benzomatic mapp gas torch - don't light it (!!), just turn on the gas and wave it around the manifold with the engine running - if the engine changes note you have found a leak.

With regard to the belt slapping around, do you have a guide underneath the lower run of the drive belt?  The 520's don't come with one, and my 520 made that horrendous slapping until I installed one.  They are standard issue on a 300 series tractor.  I don't know if my 516 had one or not - it didn't have one when I installed the diesel, but I suspect that the one on my 520 came from the 516.  You can just make it out in this shot, directly below the access hole in the dash tower.

IMG_4400_zpsad89c7fc.jpg

Didn't see a puff of smoke from that motor, looks like it will be a good one once the carb is sorted.

When filling the trans (with the filter on) you can remove one of the 3/8 bolts that hold the rear lift cable conduit on, this will allow the trans to breathe as you are filling it.

• Like 2

varosd

Great videos!   Boy, your wife sounds like my wife!!!!  :D

• Like 1

Martin

well i really learned a thing or two about governors today.......

Martin

Great videos!   Boy, your wife sounds like my wife!!!!  :D

do you get beaten much? my wife is terrible......

the abuse i have to put up with.......

:ROTF:

more videos are on there way.......

mike, the choke didn't make any difference any time i tried it and that was my first clue that maybe it wasn't a mixture issue.......

the second was the fact that i could steady the governor arm and get it to behave itself.....

as far as the belt guide, there is a lower one bolted to the engine plate on 416 #3 that the engine came off, so i will swap that in asap and see what difference it makes, i think i have a idler with a bad bearing as well........

back to the engine.......

this hunting crap was really starting to get to me...(actually i was going to type something else, but karl would be on my back)

i did a little manual reading, and then went and did some investigating.......

in the manual.......

post-4321-0-13133700-1388097336_thumb.pn

so i disconnected the linkage and arm and pushed both toward the carb and they didn't line up with anything. so i disconnected it......

this is the linkage that was on the tractor, when i compared it with the older style thick linkage that mike sent me with the carb and other parts, the bends were all wrong. 

post-4321-0-71223600-1388097110_thumb.jp

so i swapped out the arm with the older style and lined up perfectly with the middle hole, stole a clip off the linkage on my t260 sitting in the corner and hooked it up......

post-4321-0-07381000-1388097129_thumb.jp

then i checked where the sensitivity spring was at. when i put this engine back together i left everything where it was at. the spring had spent some time in the hole it was in as you could see wear in the hole. but according to the manual the baseline was the 3rd hole and not the second one that it was in. so changed it to the 3rd......

post-4321-0-17205500-1388097150_thumb.jp

then i kicked it in the guts and guess what?

• Like 2

Martin

• Like 1

Martin

heres another one, this one has burnouts.........

• Like 1

sorekiwi

Sounds much better!  I am always amazed how often things run better when you return to them to the way the factory designed them!

Here is a pic from an IPL that shows the belt guide I was talking about better.

518beltguide_zpse542fb49.jpg

It stops the belt from slapping the bottom of the belt guard.  Part # is 114871` its around $10 from Toro.

• Like 1

Martin

thanks mike. just went out and looked at the hood stand on the 416-8. i can see where that guide would bolt up. might pull the belt guard on the hydro tractor and fab up a length of angle to bolt in there.

roscoemi

The dog didn't seem to care about the horse in his yard, kinda looked bored! :teasing-whipyellow:

• Like 1

woodchuckfarmer

Runs like a champ, if you ask me....lol....Wayne

• Like 1

Martin

The dog didn't seem to care about the horse in his yard, kinda looked bored! :teasing-whipyellow:

One horse is so ho hum for Teddy these days, he knows there's 11 more in the garage......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roscoemi

If they come out of their corral, he may just get the urge to herd them! Years ago when our oldest 2 were around 10 yrs old, they and a bunch of neighbor kids would play hide and seek in my yard. The wife's border collie would herd them up on the deck, then they would scatter and start all over again. He was permanately "it" and loved it!    :woohoo:

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Nice work Martin.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 1

rick

Very nice!

leeave96

Martin,

Great post/documentation of these Onan powered tractors.  The Onan sounds GREAT!!!!!  I've never ran a Kohler KT-17 or Mag 18 twin, so I wouldn't want to comment on those, but of the 10, 12 and 14 hp Kohler single cylinder engines I have/run, while these engines are very very fine engines, the WORKING Onan has to be the coolest engine I've ever run on a garden tractor.  Smooth, powerful - lots of torque.

I've always thought, for me, the BEST engine of choice is the Kohler Magnum single cylinder series of engine engines.  Simple, cast iron block, ultra easy to work-on and reliable as the day is long.  But somehow I've found myself with FOUR 520H tractors with Onans and one 314-8 Wheelhorse with a 14 hp Kohler Magnum on it - LOL.

I just haven't had time to dive into the latest two 520H tractors I've got, but am pretty sure they are running on 1 cylinder - the vibration is great on them.  I'll get there, perhaps this spring - maybe....

Before I repower or part these two 520H tractors, I want to at least give the Onans a try and posts like yours digging into them are very helpful.  It's possible my Onans just need a good carb cleaning and a plug, etc.

Keep up the great work - looking good!!!!!!!!!!

Bill

Martin

Bill, thanks for the comments. on your running on 1 cylinder onans, easy enough to do a compression test first off, since it seems they are complete and running (although not very well) and then if you find one cylinder down, investigate from there. adding some oil to a down pressure cylinder will tell you if the rings are bad or not. pressure goes up , oil is sealing the rings and they are bad, no pressure increase, valves (or seats) or something else. pulling the heads would be next and usually will reveal a whole lot more about the condition of an engine, good or bad........

more and more i see that although these onans are awesome engines, but they do require more tlc than your typical kohler and will cost you a bunch of $$$ if you neglect them.......

• Like 1

varosd

:D

Bill, thanks for the comments. on your running on 1 cylinder onans, easy enough to do a compression test first off, since it seems they are complete and running (although not very well) and then if you find one cylinder down, investigate from there. adding some oil to a down pressure cylinder will tell you if the rings are bad or not. pressure goes up , oil is sealing the rings and they are bad, no pressure increase, valves (or seats) or something else. pulling the heads would be next and usually will reveal a whole lot more about the condition of an engine, good or bad........

more and more i see that although these onans are awesome engines, but they do require more tlc than your typical kohler and will cost you a bunch of $$$ if you neglect them.......

But boy after only dealing with Kohlers (Which are great!)..I got a 520-H and at idle it sounds like Harley!

The guy down the street is set back down a hill and thought I had spied a "red" tractor but one day I heard the distinctive Kohler thump and it turns out it was a C-100!!

Some RS folks have commented about starting up a Onan and the having all the neighbors looking out the windows! :D

Martin

my onans get the neighbors looking, but so does my briggs 18 twin on the gt1848........

ol550

When you start one up the neighbors just have to see what that aussie is driving this time. :confusion-confused:  :ROTF:

• Like 2

Martin

i worked on installing Matt's foot control this afternoon. got almost done and Jeanine came home so i stopped. we went out to dinner and came home, went to bed early. around 11 pm i decided i didn't want to sleep anymore and went out to work on finishing up the foot control. Matt has put together a very nice kit, one that could possibly be the easiest but most improved upgrade out there. it went in flawlessly......

i followed the instructions he had put together in a pdf....

because this tractor had a temporary side lever control and the column mounted control that was oem on this model, i removed both of them in the process.....

heres pics of my install....

first the removal of all necessary parts to be able to install the kit......

post-4321-0-22800600-1388215417_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-14945900-1388215440_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-86465700-1388215459_thumb.jp

had to cut the column lever out as the roll pins in the bottom brackets were a complete pain. if i ever need the lever again i will just weld it back together.

post-4321-0-31493500-1388215480_thumb.jp

all of the column lever parts removed.

post-4321-0-84690800-1388215504_thumb.jp

removed lever from side/floor lever control. the lever isn't needed any more, only need the hydro cam part of the assembly (on the left)......

post-4321-0-73872200-1388215524_thumb.jp

the return to center roller for the brake side was seized, so this needed to be freed up with some blaster.....

post-4321-0-78756300-1388215552_thumb.jp

i replaced the 2 hydro cam nyliner bushings while this was out. these aren't included in the kit, but mine needed replacing and i usually have them on hand..... part number is 5983 and they cost about $2.00 each. 

post-4321-0-42496800-1388215860_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-07137200-1388215883_thumb.jp

pedal installed

post-4321-0-39697000-1388215902_thumb.jp

rest of parts in kit all in. greased the pedal and other pivot areas and tested the back and forth feel. one thing i changed along the way was to drill the hole for the large spring further to the right of the hood stand so the spring was at a slight angle instead of straight ahead as it was just touching the hydro cam at the straight ahead position when the cam moved from forward to reverse.....

post-4321-0-69668100-1388215923_thumb.jp

one thing i modified from the way it came in the kit was the reverse pedal. i removed it from the main pedal and bent it so that it was further out from the hood stand. the way it bolted up initially was not comfortable for where my foot naturally rests. this is really only my preference and not in any way a problem with the kit.

post-4321-0-39426500-1388215943_thumb.jp

after checking the forward/neutral/reverse and back to neutral adjustment and fine tuning it, the tractor is all ready for a test drive. not now though as its late......

post-4321-0-92341400-1388215963_thumb.jp

alright dad, you've had your fun out here until 1.30 in the morning working on the scary tractors, lets go inside to bed, ok??

post-4321-0-74807500-1388215980_thumb.jp

tomorrow (well later today really) will be test drive time. maybe a video as well......

dclarke

The way you get things done Martin, I was beginning to think that you never sleep. Looks like it's true.... Great thread and a great job on this tractor! :thumbs:

• Like 1

Martin

heres the foot control video......

at the end of the video the engine started hunting at low to mid rpm, choke helped, so i knew the idle circuit had picked up some more crap from somewhere. must still be some in the carb as i have a filter in the line before the pump and before the carb. pulled the top of the carb and here it is......

post-4321-0-63074800-1388267958_thumb.jp

i pushed a tip cleaner through the tube and you can see the junk on the end.......

post-4321-0-63973100-1388267989_thumb.jp

eventually it will either clear up or i will get sick of cleaning it out and soak the thing instead.....

heres #1 and #2 together, what a happy couple......

post-4321-0-97454300-1388267921_thumb.jp

Edited by Martin
  • Like 2

bowtiebutler956

Love that foot control Martin! If I had a  :wh: with a hydro, I'd have to own one of those. It just seems like it makes more sense. I'm glad to see how that Onan turned out, and the progress your making on the tractor. :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

• Like 1

papaglide

Real nice Martin. Thank you for taking the time to document all of this stuff, I am sure that its already helping others out.

• Like 1

Martin

theres nothing better than reading how members are working on or restoring their tractors, whatever year or model they are. the information may be just what somebody is looking for. i know when I've been stuck with a problem, theres been many a thread done in the past that has helped me out in some way or another.

its one of the main reasons, other than the friendships i have made here, that i am on the forum so much......

one member working through a problem now and documenting it, hopefully will help somebody out in the future.

thanks for all the comments on my 'adventures' with the 416(s) guys.

• Like 1