Desko

Look amazing!!!

AMC RULES

Man, that is going to be one sexy  :wh: when it's done Martin.   :text-woo:

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Thumbs up Martin.

Glenn

bowtiebutler956

Wow, that looks amazing Martin!  :bow-blue: I really love the chrome air filter lid. One of these days I'm going to end up shorting out my keyboard with drool, while looking at your  :wh::ROTF:

Matt :flags-texas:

• Like 1

Martin

Not sure whether the chrome lid is going to stay, really needs to be rechromed (after some small dents are removed). We will see how that plays out.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martin

worked on the hood. stripped the paint in our strip tank at work. then spent nearly 4 hours removing all the dents.

post-4321-0-06615700-1397869262_thumb.jp

after quite a bit of dent removal, lots of small ones all over, couple in the front right on the edge of the front and side were a bear to smooth out. also had one in the ribbed part of the front which i made up a flat bit of steel with a slightly curved edge to use as a mandrel to get out. smoothed all the worked metal with a 60 grit pad on a small angle die grinder. then 120 and 220 on a da sander.....

post-4321-0-96138800-1397869279_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-07695100-1397869296_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-08627000-1397869311_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-86747200-1397869327_thumb.jp

then it was off to the blast cabinet to blend all the sanding. just a scotchbrite and should be good to go......

post-4321-0-63649800-1397869345_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-10806600-1397869362_thumb.jp

Edited by Martin
  • Like 4

AMC RULES

As it is, looks too cool to paint it.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Martin

i will try and remember to get a shot just before paint. the metal on the seat pan looked like brushed aluminum after scotch brite and before i laid the red powder on it.....

I've found that having the surface as smooth as possible and using a hotter than normal oven to flow the powder quick helps get a better finish with less orange peel than I've had in the past. the paint responds better if it gets up to cure temp as quick as it can. 

Edited by Martin

bowtiebutler956

Looks like you did a nice job getting the metal straitened out Martin. I really dislike bodywork, although it seems like I spend alot of time doing it. Its a very tedious process trying to get it perfectly straight, and it tries my patience.  However, it looks like you have natch for it. :thumbs:  Look forward to seeing it in red.  :woohoo:

AMC RULES

Is that powder coating available in clear Martin?  

Martin

Looks like you did a nice job getting the metal straitened out Martin. I really dislike bodywork, although it seems like I spend alot of time doing it. Its a very tedious process trying to get it perfectly straight, and it tries my patience.  However, it looks like you have natch for it. :thumbs:  Look forward to seeing it in red.  :woohoo:

Matt, I've found myself more and more using c clamps with small pieces of metal shaped to the surface to flatten out the dents. also use the vise grip clamps with the flat ends to do edges and dents as well. no hammer marks to deal with and the metal on these later tractors is a lot thinner than the old stuff. easy to make a small dent into stretched metal quick.....

then a tidy up with a 60 or 80 pad on a small grinder, and 120, 220 and back to straight metal again.

Is that powder coating available in clear Martin?  

Craig, clear is available, but tends to yellow. every time we have done samples for customers they haven't been happy with the finish. it is possible to get the clear to work right, but we are more of an industrial shop and don't have the time to perfect it as the demand isn't really there for us. there are other companies out there that powder coat furniture and decorative indoor pieces that can do it right.

Martin

Oh yeah! Hood turned out awesome!!!

eqyqu2y9.jpg

taqubaza.jpg

yge3e8y8.jpg

another shiny shot for you Craig......

post-4321-0-38163900-1398481110_thumb.jp

Edited by Martin
  • Like 2

C-101plowerpower

Oh yeah! Hood turned out awesome!!!eqyqu2y9.jpg

taqubaza.jpg

yge3e8y8.jpg

:scared-eek:  that is one sexy hood :handgestures-thumbupright:  very very well done, just as the rest of the tractor

Koen

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Martin. Lookin sweeeeet.

Glenn

bowtiebutler956

Looks amazing Martin! Are you planning on blacking out the louvered section on the front of the hood, or leaving it red? Either way, I'm sure it will look fantastic. :thumbs:

Martin

in answer to your question Matt......

post-4321-0-87252700-1398478871_thumb.jp

jackhammer

Martin take a break ... head over to Metone this weekend  - - but - - don't come back with a #4  416. just funnin with you.

Really nice

Rick

• Like 1

Martin

thing is.....

im not real sold on the shade of black.....yet.

i painted the red this morning about 4 am and planned on doing the black in powder in one of my breaks, but either being rushed or just one of those days (which it was today) i just didn't have the patience to mask it off and get the black on there so i was happy with the finish. i didn't stay light enough with the red in the ribbed area and getting the black on there proved to be a pain. i was also using one of our older guns and you just can't dial down the kv setting enough to get the paint to take to the hood correctly and to stop the paint 'star bursting' which is what we call the pattern the powder gets in it if the substrate gets too much charge. once that happens you have to run it through a bake cycle to remove the charge present. heating the part helps but because the metal is so thin on these hoods it was cooling down too quick to get the paint to stick.

so i gave up, ripped all the masking off and blew the black powder off the hood. tack ragged it and took it home without the black done. rattle can was going to be the choice now. i had semi gloss and gloss rustoleum and decided to go with the gloss as i thought thats what i used on #1 hood. because the black powder i am using for the rest of the tractor is more of a 'glossier' medium gloss black i figured it would look more in line with the rest of the black. now I'm not so sure. the gloss black certainly makes it pop with the glossy red, which is definitely a better finish than I've ever got on my rebuilds in the past. better paint equipment and higher oven temps have allowed me to get the paint to not have quite as much orange peel as in the past. but i think its too much gloss for the rest of the black, especially next to the blower housing.

heres some more pics, i set it on the tractor to get that 'almost finished' look.......

post-4321-0-91487600-1398480215_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-65647500-1398480237_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-56105200-1398480258_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-46681200-1398480280_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-73283900-1398480297_thumb.jp

Edited by Martin

Martin

Martin take a break ... head over to Metone this weekend  - - but - - don't come back with a #4  416. just funnin with you.

Really nice

Rick

Rick, don't think Mentone is going to happen for me this year. can't justify blowing a full tank of gas and 8 hours on the road for a day when theres so much else around me wanting money thrown at it......

(this tractor for one.....)

roscoemi

What do you think about bringing the gloss level up on the other black sheet metal to match the nose, and let the engine be a contrast?

Martin

thats a possibility. i won't say that i already painted the hood stand and console 3 times to get it where i was happy with it. wait, i guess i just did say that.......

I'm going to sleep on it, the hood black can't be repainted for 48 hours anyway so i will see how it looks in a couple days and decide then.

Wishin4a416

The hood looks great Martin. Im with you on the black though. Maybe to shiney. I have a NOS hood in the box and I do believe its closest match is Rustoleum in the Satin Black.

Pick up a can and see what you think on a piece of scrap.

bowtiebutler956

Martin, I think it looks great myself, but in the end, there is only one person that has to be happy with the final results. As much time and work as you've put into this amazing machine, I'd say, do whatever you have to do to make it look exactly the way you want it too. :bow-blue:  :thumbs: 

• Like 1

dclarke

Martin, I think it looks great myself, but in the end, there is only one person that has to be happy with the final results. As much time and work as you've put into this amazing machine, I'd say, do whatever you have to do to make it look exactly the way you want it too. :bow-blue:  :thumbs:

What Matt said, Martin.  Just take your time and look at it, I bet in a day or two it'll look just the way you want it to. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Martin

The hood looks great Martin. Im with you on the black though. Maybe to shiney. I have a NOS hood in the box and I do believe its closest match is Rustoleum in the Satin Black.

Pick up a can and see what you think on a piece of scrap.

Jack, thanks for the suggestion. i would probably go with that but i already have committed myself to the shade of black powder i selected for the rest of the tractor. all of it was done the same, so i really need to match up with that. my memory is what screwed me over here as i thought id painted the hood of #1 with a can of black i had here and could have sworn it was gloss. the #1 color matches close to what powder i have used, so i thought id just go ahead and paint it. late last night i found a semi gloss black can that Kent is using for painting his nerd guns etc. and now I'm thinking that was the can. 

heres an idea.....

maybe i should paint some samples first before just trusting my memory!!!!!